why do people still buy non-synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you have an engine that is known to be unusually tough on the oil.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
to answer OP's question.
if you don't live in extreme climate, or want extended OCI's there is not a REAL purpose for using Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

to answer OP's question.
if you don't live in extreme climate, or want extended OCI's there is not a REAL purpose for using Synthetic.

OR your trying to clean quickly.

to answer OP's question.

The only place I can see where synthetics have a advantage is if you live in the frozen Tundra.

Conditions, climate, length of OCI, application... all variables that can warrant a syn oil. A balanced decision making process is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

to answer OP's question.

The only place I can see where synthetics have a advantage is if you live in the frozen Tundra.

Exactly,
Or if you want to run 15k OCI's

I do not completely buy that a "synthetic" base is needed for extended OCI's. To play amateur tribologist the additive with potential basestocks formulation is more important IMO of course. It is not like some guy can buy some PAO from XOM and some group one basestocks add some calcium, ZDDP, and a little molybdenum and then start using it as some uber long drain oil.

I use Dino's because they work, and I always change my oils between 3k-5k. So there is no reason for me to spend the extra cash for synthetic.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
[I, like you, have all the potential for a free-for-all between Elf, Castrol, Pentosin, Total, Redline, Agip, Kendall GT-1, QSUD and Pennzoil Ultra.

Well, I have samples of most of the majors (except Chevron, since its distribution is a little silly here), and some RP to represent the boutiques. I don't think I have any European stuff left on the shelf - the closest thing is the RP 0w-40 and the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, both of which meet ACEA specifications.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back