Using conventional 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 synthetic in the winter

You have two posts on BITOG, and you have posed a syn v. Conventional question, covered the eternal thin v thick battle, and contemplated whether a psychological pathology drives your choices. You then go on to reveal a doomsday prepper’s stash of oil, which would have us apoplectic, were it not for most of the inventory being from a lesser known manufacturer. Impressive!

Veni Vidi Vici

Run 5W30 synthetic as stated in above post. Most vehicles in Australia use 5w30 all year round and copes well with a broad range of temps. Choose any well known oil brand of your choice.

You have two posts on BITOG, and you have posed a syn v. Conventional question, covered the eternal thin v thick battle, and contemplated whether a psychological pathology drives your choices. You then go on to reveal a doomsday prepper’s stash of oil, which would have us apoplectic, were it not for most of the inventory being from a lesser known manufacturer. Impressive!
I know right. He is wondering wether he should use a conventional/synthetic, summer/winter tandem then finally discloses that he has enough oil on hand to last him about 40 years with only driving on the weekends or every other weekend

That’s like the other person who recently joined asking if he should go from 0W20 to 5W30, and then later discloses that he has access to unlimited FREE Mercedes Benz branded 0W20 and can’t figure out what he should do

I know right. He is wondering wether he should use a conventional/synthetic, summer/winter tandem then finally discloses that he has enough oil on hand to last him about 40 years with only driving on the weekends or every other weekend

That’s like the other person who recently joined asking if he should go from 0W20 to 5W30, and then later discloses that he has access to unlimited FREE Mercedes Benz branded 0W20 and can’t figure out what he should do
This car is not the only vehicle using my oil. I also have a truck takes 5w30, I take care of my sisters SUV, my mothers SUV, truck, and JD Gator. All take 5w30, so I figure I've got three to four years worth of oil remaining quick arithmetic, as my mother and sister take 3-4 oil changes a year (mother drives 40k miles/yr going to grandkids things).

I think I purchased the 5w30 for $2.75 on closeout at my employer in 2021 before the manufacturer did a label change and marketing update to increase retail price $2 (formulation stayed the same). I don't know how these things work, but I assume the manufacturer wanted to start using the new name and so gave a rebate on the old label under the old branding remaining on the shelf and in the warehouse. I saw the email that the retail price was dropping and the cost to get it in at my store was dropping so I wrote a check and bought the warehouse out of what had not already been grabbed, got it to my store, and made my store a little chunk, and saved myself a chunk.

Stockpiling large amounts of engine oil is not a prepping strategy I wouldn't think, unless you're going to stockpile crude and own your own refinery to make your own fuel, because I don't see a horde of gas staying good for more than two years assuming that can even be done. If I'm not mistaken, stabilizers claim 6-months gain. Two years is me assuming there could be some even better method out there that I'm not aware of.

This car is not the only vehicle using my oil. I also have a truck takes 5w30, I take care of my sisters SUV, my mothers SUV, truck, and JD Gator. All take 5w30, so I figure I've got three to four years worth of oil remaining quick arithmetic, as my mother and sister take 3-4 oil changes a year (mother drives 40k miles/yr going to grandkids things).
Ok well you didn’t mention that with that horde of oil that you are maintaining a 6 vehicle fleet. I stand corrected

I've never heard of anyone else doing that, what do you expect to benefit from this? Why not just stick with 0w20 all the time? There is going to be virtually no difference between a 0w20 and a 5w20 in the summer.
First thing is this goes in my 2019 Miata. My focus is the amount of viscosity index improvers needed (less preferred) for the difference and the quality of the base oil. I like 5w20 over 0w20 but for colder months and short trips maybe 0w might be better. IMO not much difference, like you say. Just what I do…

I think I purchased the 5w30 for $2.75 on closeout at my employer in 2021 before the manufacturer did a label change and marketing update to increase retail price $2 (formulation stayed the same). I don't know how these things work, but I assume the manufacturer wanted to start using the new name and so gave a rebate on the old label under the old branding remaining on the shelf and in the warehouse. I saw the email that the retail price was dropping and the cost to get it in at my store was dropping so I wrote a check and bought the warehouse out of what had not already been grabbed, got it to my store, and made my store a little chunk, and saved myself a chunk.

Stockpiling large amounts of engine oil is not a prepping strategy I wouldn't think, unless you're going to stockpile crude and own your own refinery to make your own fuel, because I don't see a horde of gas staying good for more than two years assuming that can even be done. If I'm not mistaken, stabilizers claim 6-months gain. Two years is me assuming there could be some even better method out there that I'm not aware of.
You are correct that you need a gas strategy for the apocalypse, but you also need plenty of oil.

The answer is to go to a 2000 mile oci

It's a true dino not a blend that slowed down my oil loss my beater burns syn and blends a quart every 1k miles Valvoline white bottle 10/30 a QT 2k miles.
That's what I meant. People proclaim such and such is bees knees or whatever without giving us a reason why they're saying it. Thanks.

All you need is some Quaker state full synthetic 5w30. Can get a 5 quart jug at Walmart for I believe $24. Those 3800’s will run on anything, as long as you change the oil when you should.

No need to use 40 weight, or 10w-XX oils.

With that 40 thing, perhaps it would be good to just give you all a current stock of my inventory, and see where you would all go.

150 quarts (yes, a lot) - Excede 5w-30 Full Syn (https://www.mfaoil.com/wp-content/uploads/MFA-Oil_Excede_SB.pdf)
12 quarts - Excede 10w-40 (https://www.mfaoil.com/wp-content/uploads/MFA-Oil_Excede_10W-40.pdf)
12 quarts - Royal Purple 0w-40
10 quarts - Mobil1 5w-30 Full Syn

I think any of those oils would work in your car. I would look at any other cars you own to see what they require and earmark that oil for those cars. Then from what is left, start using the oldest oil first. The only exception would be 10W40 may be a little thick in the winter. Use that in the summer to use it up.

Back