What's your take on this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran across this on Facebook. This guy was responding to numerous suggestions for someone to use Mobil 1.

I last bought 3- 5 quart jugs of Mobil1 0w-16 for my 2023 Camry. I'm on my second jug now with 1 more left. I change it at 5k miles which takes about 9 months. If he's correct, just wondering if I would be better suited to buy a different brand after my next oil change.

Here is a copy of the comment from Facebook,
"No offense or anything, but Mobil 1 hasn't made a true synthetic oil since 2005-2006. They reformulated their products. Prior to 2005-2006 they were a group 4 PAO base stock oil. They're now a group 3 mineral based oil (Glorified Conventional Oil). NOACK Volatility is around 10.1% per Petroleum Quality Institute of America.

Mobil 1 is now made cheaper and to compete with similar oils sold on store shelves.

The oil has very low film strength. This is typical of Group 3 "synthetic" oils that have heavy levels of additives and detergents for extended drain intervals. The problem is that due to the need for pour point depressants and viscosity modifiers, the percentage of the actual lubricating hydrocarbons in the oil begins to fall rapidly. With your typical Group 3 synthetic, you have very roughly 75% mineral base stock oil and 25% additives. When you add more TBN additives for extended drains, what you end up with is an even lower percentage of oil, and the total package film strength drops and begins to shear easily.

The oil also has poor oxidization properties which results in waxy (sludge) deposits.

What gets me the most is people who say Mobil 1 is so great, is because they had such good experiences in their last old car that went xxx,xxx miles. Rarely do those people want to acknowledge or even admit that the formulation changed and they are not using the same oil they did over a decade ago."

There are plenty of good oils out there that haven't changed their formulation, they just don't bother trying to get whatever the latest government certification is.

To be blunt, people are idiots. Sorry.

This guy couldn't balance a chemical equation if his life depended on it and he's going to be an internet expert on motor oil API base oil groups? My advice is to just not engage with people like this. Life is short... eat dessert first.

Anti-Pennzoil. Anti-SOPUS. Anti-GM. Anti-Ford. Today, it’s anti-ExxonMobil day.

That entire screed is a load of nonsense based on misunderstandings of facts.

All Hail Facebook (or your favorite) garbage. Perhaps you should ask a moderator to change the sub-forum of your post to humor.

I ran across this on Facebook...If he's correct, just wondering if I would be better suited to buy a different brand after my next oil change.

People bought pillows and switched their pillow brands from similar anecdotes.

My personal strategy is to look out for rebates and buy at the lowest oil entry point as possible. Mobil recently came across my rebate processing industrial complex system and 2 gallons of delvac extreme was acquired and they sit next to the other 2 gallons of delvac extreme from the previous 5~ months which also had to be processed through my rebate processing industrial complex system. They have no choice but to sit next to some jugs of Rotella, which also has to sit next to some jugs of Delo. I bet they have great conversations every night on that shelf.

I hope you enjoyed my anecdote ^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back