Why aren't more of us using blends?

Most Toyota owners ain't gonna run a Euro 0w40. Try bulk 0w20, 5w30. After all he was referring to Toyotas.

This is true but oil type is generally not going to play a significant role in how much an oil will become contaminated and fully of gunk from blow-by and / or acidic from short drive cycles. I have a lot of short drive cycles in my truck, another reason why I change often.

Last edited:
This is true but oil type is generally not going to play a significant role in how much an oil will become contaminated and fully of gunk from blow-by and / or acidic from short drive cycles. I have a lot of short drive cycles in my truck, another reason why I change often.
I would say oil type plays a big role in contamination. Some are just loaded with additives to fight the conditions you're referring to. Of course as far as additives go generally you get what you pay for quality and quantity wise.

I would say oil type plays a big role in contamination. Some are just loaded with additives to fight the conditions you're referring to. Of course as far as additives go generally you get what you pay for quality and quantity wise.
Blow-by is usually caused by a bad PCV, oil overfilling, or poorly sealed engine. Whether its poor quality rings or excessive wear, it is the pressure in the crankcase that is the origin. Yes, oil weight and quality plays a role, but if an engine is already consuming oil or generally polluting the oil quickly, switching to a heavier weight / higher quality oil with more zddp is often not every effective. Kind of like a bandaid on the issue, the damage is already done. In many race engines they use a vacuum pump to eliminate this pressure and this is very effective, but also quite expensive. Another reason why catch-cans are a good idea because it separates acids, fuel, and other nasty byproducts from re-entering via the PCV.

I will say using high quality oil from the get go and not going excessive on the OCI is a great way to avoid the issue in the first place. Unless your PCV fails. Each engine is different and type of driving / length of drive cycle plays a major role. Korean engines are notorious vs Toyota and Honda for example.

Last edited:
Blow-by is usually caused by a bad PCV, oil overfilling, or poorly sealed engine. Whether its poor quality rings or excessive wear, it is the pressure in the crankcase that is the origin. Yes, oil weight and quality plays a role, but if an engine is already consuming oil or generally polluting the oil quickly, switching to a heavier weight / higher quality oil with more zddp is often not every effective. Kind of like a bandaid on the issue, the damage is already done. In many race engines they use a vacuum pump to eliminate this pressure and this is very effective, but also quite expensive. Another reason why catch-cans are a good idea because it separates acids, fuel, and other nasty byproducts from re-entering via the PCV.

I will say using high quality oil from the get go and not going excessive on the OCI is a great way to avoid the issue in the first place. Unless your PCV fails. Each engine is different and type of driving / length of drive cycle plays a major role. Korean engines are notorious vs Toyota and Honda for example.
Are you trying to educate? Most of us here know this stuff. Thanks...

Back