Why aren't more of us using blends?

With the trend toward reducing OCIs compared to years past, combined with the perceived higher quality of synthetic blends these days, why aren't they a more common choice on BITOG? I see tons of people here currently running 5,000 mile intervals, which seems like it would lend itself well to PYB, GTX, etc.

That reminds me, remember back in the day when PYB was a gold standard PCMO?

As a related question, what mileage would you be comfortable running a blend to? 5,000? 6,000?

Currently on my WM app:

Super Tech 5W30 Blend 5 qt = $16.98
Super Tech 5W30 FS 5 qt = $18.98
QS 5W30 Blend 5 qt = $18.82
QS 5W30 FS 5 qt = $21.48

I use them sometimes but the price difference is negligible so it is not really a needle mover for me either way. Also 0W20 blends are harder to fine and usually cost the same. 0W16 blends are non existent from what I can tell. If you get oil changes done then you can save $20 or $30 per oil change with blends. I will run them to 7,000 or so in the right conditions no problem.

Last edited:
Ford uses a blend straight out of the factory. Per the IOLM in all of the modern Fords I've owned, regular street duty has the IOLM trigger at ~10k

Why don't we use it? A vast majority of drivers go more than 5k and most DIY changers want the best bang for their buck. Premium synthetic for under $4.50 quart or a blend for about $4, ignoring the "I'll run Camel Snot 40W-60 if it's on clearance" crowd

You be the judge.

echoing what has already been said here. The price difference is marginal enough that i'll happily pay the extra few bucks for a full synthetic. Especially when it is winter time and my truck will be seeing -35 degree cold starts.

How many "synthetic" oils have some fraction of group II+ base stocks in them? Probably quite a number. I don't worry about it personally and just drive on with my 5k changes using the best bang for my buck oil. Right now that's Kirkland synthetic.

With the trend toward reducing OCIs compared to years past, combined with the perceived higher quality of synthetic blends these days, why aren't they a more common choice on BITOG? I see tons of people here currently running 5,000 mile intervals, which seems like it would lend itself well to PYB, GTX, etc.

That reminds me, remember back in the day when PYB was a gold standard PCMO?

As a related question, what mileage would you be comfortable running a blend to? 5,000? 6,000?
What made PYB a gold standard?

Back