Who's into base models?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I've always had a thing for base model trim vehicles (or mid-trims with lots of options) and have owned several. In particular, VW has always, to me, produced outstanding base models packing lots of value w/r to safety and features AND not making them look so basic i.e. black trim etc. like many American brands. I feel these give the max possible value while out of a particular vehicle's lineup. I've owned:

2000 Jetta GL 5-spd. $17K new OTD (no deal on that one b/c the new MK4 gen had just hit the lot), notable base features...crank windows and no cruise control. Looked the same as all the other trims (GLS/GLX) with the exception of the wheels...came with hub caps. Simple...we just bought some VW accessory allow wheels and shazam! No more base model! Car went 220K/14 years before selling with v. little fuss/cost. Had side airbags which to me at the time was impressive for a base model car. This competed with getting the higher trim GLS which would have netted some better amenities (power windows, sunroof, cruise) but in the end, all of that would have broken anyway hahahah.

Current 2018 Golf Sportwagen S w/4Motion and DSG. Unreal deal. $20K new OTD with a $26K sticker. Complete sleeper and effectively a Golf R wagon light. V. few folks knew/know what it is or that VW made these. Obviously I turned mine into someone quite a bit more now but still, even as a stock base-model car, v. feature-laden and unique. Dealer didn't even know they had it, I had to help them find it on the lot hidden behind all the SU/CUVs. This competed with me getting a GTI and I'm glad I got the awd wagon.

2013 Ford Focus SE 5-spd with all possible packages. $21K new OTD with a reasonable deal negotiated including lots of accessories aded-on that I wanted. So basically the more pedestrian SE trim but with leather, sunroof, appearance package (17s, r. discs) and winter package. Had to have them find it in another state b/c not many of the 5-speeds with that many options. My son drives this today at 10 years/125K. This is by far the lowest cost to operate vehicle I've ever owned and has held up surprising well (interior) for being an American economy car. This competed with me getting the ST and today, sure, I (and my son!) would have been happier with an ST but at that time, this is what I bought/could afford.

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. $22K OTD slightly used with ~10K miles on it. Had many option packages to get a bit more creature comforts. Great SUV and our family hauler for a few years before we did the right thing and sold off for the superior family hauler...a Honda Odyssey. Competed with the higher trim Eddie Bauer but in the end, I just didn't have the extra money for it but would have preferred it for the looks....Ford base/mid-trims have lots of black trim that is somewhat ugly to me.

I don’t mind more basic vehicles, in fact I prefer them. Then again, what a base model has or doesn’t have definitely varies by age and class of vehicle.

For example, I hate sunroofs. It seems like I have to use an air compressor to clean sunroof drains once a year on the only car I’ve ever had with a sunroof otherwise it starts raining in my car. So any future vehicle purchase will be anti-sunroof.

I don’t mind more basic vehicles, in fact I prefer them. Then again, what a base model has or doesn’t have definitely varies by age and class of vehicle.

For example, I hate sunroofs. It seems like I have to use an air compressor to clean sunroof drains once a year on the only car I’ve ever had with a sunroof otherwise it starts raining in my car. So any future vehicle purchase will be anti-sunroof.
For sure - you can by my list....2000 base didn't even have power windows or cruise....my 2018 has all of that plus Apple Car Play/Android Auto and the list goes on. It's like back in the day when cars had to list p/s p/b b/c those weren't on every car ahhahaah.

Once had a grey market '86 Mercedes E-class W124 with a 4 cylinder and 4 speed stick, cloth seats, manual windows, etc. Really liked the plainness about it.
Not sure you can even order base model Mercs/Bimmers now in the U.S.?

I don't understand why you would choose a base model when buying...you instantly go to the bottom of the barrel for resale value. It would be interesting to know the payback when it is time to resell your used car. Do you get a higher percentage on resale given equal miles and condition...I would say yes.

Within reason, I would rather buy the top level of a car that I could afford, rather than the lowest level of a "nicer" car. I believe they carry more value in the long run, resale market.

The last base model I owned was a new powder blue, 1974 Dodge DART with a 318 engine. Heck, it didn’t even have carpet! It drove great, and I added some heavy duty leaf springs in the rear, and Walker muffs’. I can still remember the day I purchased it in Escondido California. Dang, I do miss those days. 😢

Last edited:
I don't understand why you would choose a base model when buying...you instantly go to the bottom of the barrel for resale value. It would be interesting to know the payback when it is time to resell your used car. Do you get a higher percentage on resale given equal miles and condition...I would say yes.

Within reason, I would rather buy the top level of a car that I could afford, rather than the lowest level of a "nicer" car. I believe they carry more value in the long run, resale market.
B/c resale value is meaningless to me...I keep my cars long-term. Jetta bought at $17K sold for $1.5K 14 years later. A higher trim would have no had zero bearing on that resale at 220K. My current Sportwagen is a forever keeper, so rare and cool and at this point, I have more than double the purchase price into it w/r to modifications etc. so I already lost there (basically I have what I would have spent on a new Golf R at that time).

Don't get me wrong, our Atlas is an SEL so one down from the top trim (SEL Premium). Our Odyssey was an EX-L w/nav + dvd...another one-down from top trim (bought used however). My wife's next vehicle will likely be a higher-trim vehicle as well.

I'm a base model guy living in a world of braggadocio and hubris.
What's worse is having to pay the increased prices needed to support the option catalogs of others.
The lavishness of car toys slops over to every customer.
The flimsy nature of these unproven toys rushed to market is, to me, flabbergasting.

To DriveHard: Many people keep their cars longer so what's better; being able to say, "Everything works" or dancing around a vehicle's dazzling array of broken options?

HEAD SCRATCHER from MY YOUTH: An austere uncle, actually, he was a drunk who'd awaken almost anywhere so he dressed accordingly, bought a stripped '66 Chrysler Newport new. His brothers and SILs busted his chops because it didn't even have air conditioning.
When 'Uncie' mentioned the Chrysler had a heater and automatic transmission, he was countered with silence.
'Twas uncomfortable to witness but made me a stronger 9 year old.

Anyone remember when engines were listed in option lists?

I have a base 2015 Pilot LX as my first and last. It has many upscale features as likely too hard to remove them. The lack of auto headlights and heated seats in New England is 👎

I think usually you can get the fancy model options for pennies on dollar after the 5-6 years mark, especially if its just interior and exterior fluff.
$8k extra when new, now adds ~$1k on a $10k car...

I am a base model person usually, I kind of think Subaru almost shot themselves in the foot to selling the upgraded models, as our base one has everything we need, and most peoples required list. On the next version of the Outback and Legacy they made the base model interior more obviously "base" with more blanked out buttons.

For sure - you can by my list....2000 base didn't even have power windows or cruise....my 2018 has all of that plus Apple Car Play/Android Auto and the list goes on. It's like back in the day when cars had to list p/s p/b b/c those weren't on every car ahhahaah.
I also searched far and away to find that GSW S trim and got super lucky one a dealer demo version in the very interesting white/silver pearl color... I also had a 2000 2500HD pickup that was the W/T trim package with rubber floor and roll up windows.. should never have let that one go but they got me with the $5@ gallon during Obama years....

Last edited by a moderator:
B/c resale value is meaningless to me...I keep my cars long-term.
Same here. Resale value is a non-issue.

I prefer cloth seats and no-sunroof, so if that means Base model, so be it.

I chose my WRX specifically because it's a base and has cloth seats and no sunroof. About all I really missed (that I cared about) were fog lights but that was easily remedied with the factory Subaru fog light kit.

On the other hand..... My parents and grandparents were of the mindset that if it's an option, it's not needed, and is just an extra expense waiting to break someday. I inherited my grandma's old Nova and was probably the cheapest, most-stripped base model GM made that year. No radio, no AC, no PS, no AT, no power brakes, no front discs, no carpeting.... Nothing! I'm just lucky that it was a '71 model and thus came with a 6-cylinder engine, the four-cylinder had been dropped from the Nova lineup the year before (which bugged my grandma to no end, constantly complaining for years afterward about having to pay for those extravagant two extra cylinders....). That car was just TOO base!

That is actually a misconception. In many cases, you get little of the original value of the options back on resale. Base cars actually do well in the resale market.

2017 Fusion SE with only the Sync3 option.
2018 Taurus SE with not one option on the sticker (though they come reasonably well equipped anyway).
2018 F-250 XL with only a few options (locking rear diff; pwr equ grp; A/T tires)

Yup - I like base models.

Back