Dang it Mazda!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: PimTac
The cylinder deactivation system has been available in Europe and reports are that it is undetectable while driving. While I am not a fan of these systems myself it won’t be a new system with bugs.

Encouraging, but European driving conditions aren't exactly the same as in the US and Canada. I'd expect Mazdas here to spend a much bigger part of their lives in cylinder deactivation mode here than in Europe, which could make a difference. Not that this wouldn't be obvious to Mazda as well, but OEMs do miss the mark on occasion. Letting others be the Beta Testers seems a good strategy.

Autogefühl has a video on the 2017 CX-5. Thomas does comment on the COD as they call it in Europe.

https://youtu.be/GG4DkLl3pc8

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'm kind of surprised deactivating 2 cyl in a inline 4 affects the balance at all? Or makes it any worse atleast.

A four cylinder running on two cylinders will be hugely out of balance.

It just runs on the middle two so while the power pulses are farther apart, there isn't any combustion on the end cylinders so the engine should rock less. If they had a CVT I imagine they could tweak rpms up a bit to smooth things out.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
It will likely be limited to highway speeds, cruise control on, gyroscope flat, throttle-position-stagnant scenarios.

If anything like the system on the GM 3.6 V6 (Camaro, SRX and Acadia rentals I have had) it will only kick in maybe ~5% of the time and only the best of possible conditions/scenarias. The times it kicked in on that brawny V6 it was right back to V6 mode with the lightest touch of the throttle, seemed to no activate at all above ~60 MPH or so.

With a 2.5L 4 banger it seems nothing more than a gimmick meant for the EPA test cycle that most drivers will barely ever experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back