2024 Mazda CX-90

I would like to see some real-world mileage on the PHEV version. We are considering going down to 1 car, as I've been riding the train to work when I go to the office once a week and it's not so bad. I'm not willing to have my wife's Outlander be our only car because it's a little tight for this 6'7" guy, and my '10 Navigator is not reliable enough to be that vehicle. There are 5 of these CX-90 PHEV version on the lot at the local Mazda dealer at pretty much the lowest spec/price you can build one on the Mazda website, around $48K. I'm impressed they ordered so many low-spec ones. Still $48K is a lot of money, but that said, now that we're pretty far out from town, we are spending a LOT of money on gas.

I see the I-6 versions are cheaper by about $4K but not willing to consider one. We would definitely use the "plug" of the PHEV version to maximize our EV only range. I would like a little more EV only range ideally but 26 miles is enough to get us to restuarants or shopping and back. 26 miles would be 2 gallons of gas in my Navigator.

We want something with 3 rows. We rented and liked a Siena hybrid out in CA in March, but they are unobtainium new at the local Toyota dealers. You can get used hybrid Siennas at Avis car sales but not sure if my wife would be open to that.

We would be open to an EV but there really aren't any 3 row anything that's affordable. $48K is only marginally affordable if we can cut our gas bills significantly. 75-80K for a Rivian, we're not open to that.

These guys got 60mpg with the CX-90. Now that will vary of course depending on lots of variables but in general I have been reading that mid-50’s mpg is very doable.

In this video they show how the computer really shines in the system.

I found some CX-90 PHEV on Fuelly but the mileage is all over the place from 26 to 55. I guess it really depends on how you manage the EV portion of it.

Right, but on a per-model basis the Miata is the only thing Mazda makes that is quick. Anybody who believes "performance from the ground up" for the CX90 or "zoom-zoom" for their other models is falling for the marketing.
Indeed. My point is, Mazda wasted time and money and gave us an inferior product instead of just dropping a zf8 in it.

Reactions: Pew
Too expensive for CX-90. They wouldn’t be able to stay in this price bracket.
Wild. Didn't seem to push the Dodge Durango V6 over budget. Or the V6 Dodge Charger. Or the BMW X3. Or a host of others. Yet inventing and tooling up to design an entirely new transmission was somehow cheaper? Hmmmmm

Indeed. My point is, Mazda wasted time and money and gave us an inferior product instead of just dropping a zf8 in it.

Too expensive for CX-90. They wouldn’t be able to stay in this price bracket.
Mazda didn't want to use a torque converter, so they made the CX-90 into a "mild hybrid" for the inline 6's, which was probably a more costly route to take.

The Honda Pilot/Passport/Ridgeline has a ZF9 for this price bracket, so cost isn't an issue.

Mazda didn't want to use a torque converter, so they made the CX-90 into a "mild hybrid" for the inline 6's, which was probably a more costly route to take.

The Honda Pilot/Passport/Ridgeline has a ZF9 for this price bracket, so cost isn't an issue.
ZF9 is not the same as ZF8. It is a different market; transmission is made for different market.
ZF8 is also used in mild hybrid applications.

Wild. Didn't seem to push the Dodge Durango V6 over budget. Or the V6 Dodge Charger. Or the BMW X3. Or a host of others. Yet inventing and tooling up to design an entirely new transmission was somehow cheaper? Hmmmmm
FCA makes ZF under license, some ZF8 versions. X3 is a smaller vehicle. CX-90 plays in X5 size category. They are probably going their route to use various variants in other vehicles.

FCA makes ZF under license, some ZF8 versions. X3 is a smaller vehicle. CX-90 plays in X5 size category. They are probably going their route to use various variants in other vehicles.
Yes, and BMW put a ZF in the X5 and the results are stunning. Look how it launches compared to the Mazda.

Now compare it to the roll:

It's not power the Mazda lacks. It's a gearbox.

They have always been incredibly trash off the line because Mazda skews things so hard toward efficiency around town and hasn't figured out how to do both that and performance. ZF8 could have given it both.

Yes, and BMW put a ZF in the X5 and the results are stunning. Look how it launches compared to the Mazda.

They have always been incredibly trash off the line because Mazda skews things so hard toward efficiency around town and hasn't figured out how to do both that and performance. ZF8 could have given it both.

The ratios aren’t that far off from the ZF8 though, other than the slightly larger jump the Mazda has between 1st and 2nd. Mazda on left, 8hp70/8hp45 in parentheses, 8hp75/8hp50 right. Mazda is also using a 3.69 final drive.
1st - 5.26 (4.71) 5.00
2nd - 3.30 (3.14) 3.20
3rd - 2.22 (2.10) 2.14
4th - 1.71 (1.67) 1.72
5th - 1.30 (1.28) 1.31
6th - 1.00 (1.00) 1.00
7th - 0.82 (0.84) 0.82
8th - 0.63 (0.67) 0.64

We traded our ‘21 CX-9 in on a ‘24 CX-90 two nights ago so I’ll try to relay some ownership experiences as the miles pile on. Ours is the standard output (non-S) I-6 turbo.

One thing I have noticed is that the most recently built models (ours was manufactured 2 months ago in July) have less clunky transmission and engine tuning. Not BMW B58/ZF8 smooth but no where near as unfinished as cars made more than 2 months ago. I certainly expect to see a ton of software and firmware updates as the months pass.

i can say that the 2 days I’ve commuted with it each trip has been at least 3mpg better than our CX-9 was - 21mpg vs 24mpg on a mix of rural roads and urban streets. Will be interesting to measure this as time goes.

Attachments

• IMG_3028.jpeg
    IMG_3028.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3020.jpeg
    IMG_3020.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3021.jpeg
    IMG_3021.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3022.jpeg
    IMG_3022.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3023.jpeg
    IMG_3023.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3024.jpeg
    IMG_3024.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 23

There is more to it than just transmission. B58 is an extremely underrated engine, and BMW is an expert in transferring hp to wheels. They always show higher WHP than others, regardless of crank numbers.
CX-90 is a very interesting car. People who want something like BMW but cannot afford it. The problem is that it is drastically smaller than the price competition, like the VW Atlas, Toyota Grand Highlander, and Honda Pilot, and those cars are nice places to be, too, but drastically more practical.

There is more to it than just transmission. B58 is an extremely underrated engine, and BMW is an expert in transferring hp to wheels. They always show higher WHP than others, regardless of crank numbers.
CX-90 is a very interesting car. People who want something like BMW but cannot afford it. The problem is that it is drastically smaller than the price competition, like the VW Atlas, Toyota Grand Highlander, and Honda Pilot, and those cars are nice places to be, too, but drastically more practical.
Check out the roll race. The Mazda did fine. It's the transmission issue with launch. Always has been with Mazda.

Check out the roll race. The Mazda did fine. It's the transmission issue with launch. Always has been with Mazda.
Yeah I saw all video. But, all are cranking more power than BMW. I mean, nothing beats ZF8. There isn’t transmission in last 12 years that is on par ZF8, performance and reliability wise. And BMW knows how to transfer hp.
Another thing with I6, they are hard to cool off. I personally would wait a bit before jumping on Mazda. Mercedes and especially BMW are much more experienced in building them.
Still, I like concept. Just to sort out those things and get established a bit.

Back