2024 Mazda CX-90

Mazda dealer offered $5k off msrp on CX9.... which is tempting for a gas guzzler

I wonder how long before issues are reported on the cx90... Since my workhorse is ol' and tired, I can wait or take the '9 and know what to expect over the next decade.

It all depends on the meaning of gas guzzler. The CX-90 gets much better fuel economy than the 9 even though it’s heavier and larger both in size and engine displacement.

Speaking of fuel economy, these guys got some excellent results with the PHEV model. 60mpg plus. I think the PHEV will sell very well even though the attention is mainly on the six banger.

I can't believe this car has only 75 cu ft of cargo. I do like it, but it would be dumbfounding to have spent 60k and not be able to pick anything up with it. That's about the same as a CR-V. Not sure what happened in its design.

At least the transmission, if it fails, won't be too expensive to replace:
It may be expensive. As it was explained, everything comes out. So hopefully the engine/tranny will remain solid. I think of the early adopters as people tasting the food in America's test kitchen, only without the free samples

As stated by k1xv. inline 6s are the best inherently balanced and only one cylinder head No offset Crank journals to try to balance that poorly balanced engine. The only good thing is it can be better for packaging.

I have had a newer Mazda6 and CX5. Loved them, great cars, no issues. I recently test drove the CX-90 and while it had great power once it was rolling, the lack of a first gear is really apparent. It makes the car feel incredibly laggy from a stop. It really bothered me.

This combined with the poor general visibility and the fact there is basically zero working room in the engine bay makes me rather disappointed by the CX-90, at least for the rather high price.

Isn't the new inline 6 the one with the timing chain in the back? I love Mazda but that's enough to get a hard pass from me.

I have had a newer Mazda6 and CX5. Loved them, great cars, no issues. I recently test drove the CX-90 and while it had great power once it was rolling, the lack of a first gear is really apparent. It makes the car feel incredibly laggy from a stop. It really bothered me.

This combined with the poor general visibility and the fact there is basically zero working room in the engine bay makes me rather disappointed by the CX-90, at least for the rather high price.

For most modern transmissions these days first gear just gets you moving. If I start out at an intersection mine is in third gear before I clear it. That’s how the computers work these transmissions.

For most modern transmissions these days first gear just gets you moving. If I start out at an intersection mine is in third gear before I clear it. That’s how the computers work these transmissions.
The CX-90 operates differently. It doesn't feel normal because the weak electric motors always get it started. If you haven't driven one yet, please do so. It's hard to explain, it always accelerates 0-10 mph at the same rate no matter how hard you hit the pedal.

The CX-90 operates differently. It doesn't feel normal because the weak electric motors always get it started. If you haven't driven one yet, please do so. It's hard to explain, it always accelerates 0-10 mph at the same rate no matter how hard you hit the pedal.

Okay I thought you were talking about transmissions in general. Again, the computer controls everything between your foot and drivetrain.

What mode were you in?

Mazda employee here.....

Both gas engine versions of the CX-90 are single turbo 3.3L inline-6 cylinders. The "standard Turbo" is 280hp on 87 octane, the "Turbo S" (hilarious that they made a play on Porsche nomenclature) is the same engine with a hotter tune for 340hp; Turbo S rating is on 93 octane and the regular Turbo is rated on 87 octane so a bit deceptive IMO. Both engines feel pretty similar until the very upper rev ranges. Both of these also use the 48 volt mild hybrid in conjunction with the ICE.....hardly noticeable.

The PHEV uses the standard naturally aspirated 2.5L I-4 Skyactiv engine that has been around for a while now. Combined with the a decent sized battery pack it splits the difference in true power between the 2 versions of the I-6 Turbo engine. EV only range is rated at 26 miles but a more realistic rating is 22 or so in my experience and customer feedback. IMO (again), the PHEV is the star of the line up. Around here, most people can do their daily commute/picking up the kids, running errands on EV only and recharge at night in their home garage on a Level 2 charger in around 2hrs45min from 5 to 100%. Interestingly, we've seed sporadic interest in the lower trims and the majority of the customer interest - so far - has been in the highest trim levels.

Mazda employee here.....

Both gas engine versions of the CX-90 are single turbo 3.3L inline-6 cylinders. The "standard Turbo" is 280hp on 87 octane, the "Turbo S" (hilarious that they made a play on Porsche nomenclature) is the same engine with a hotter tune for 340hp; Turbo S rating is on 93 octane and the regular Turbo is rated on 87 octane so a bit deceptive IMO. Both engines feel pretty similar until the very upper rev ranges. Both of these also use the 48 volt mild hybrid in conjunction with the ICE.....hardly noticeable.

The PHEV uses the standard naturally aspirated 2.5L I-4 Skyactiv engine that has been around for a while now. Combined with the a decent sized battery pack it splits the difference in true power between the 2 versions of the I-6 Turbo engine. EV only range is rated at 26 miles but a more realistic rating is 22 or so in my experience and customer feedback. IMO (again), the PHEV is the star of the line up. Around here, most people can do their daily commute/picking up the kids, running errands on EV only and recharge at night in their home garage on a Level 2 charger in around 2hrs45min from 5 to 100%. Interestingly, we've seed sporadic interest in the lower trims and the majority of the customer interest - so far - has been in the highest trim levels.

Question for you;

For someone living in a high altitude region would the PHEV supply enough power versus the turbo six?

I have heard and read about the PHEV getting some excellent mpg numbers, some well over 50mpg. For a vehicle that size that is astounding. I would agree that the PHEV is the way to go but for some reason Mazda limits the interior choices for that model both in colors and options. I wish it was the same across both lines.

Interestingly, we've seed sporadic interest in the lower trims and the majority of the customer interest - so far - has been in the highest trim levels.
That is fairly common with new model launches. Generally at launch you will sell more of the higher trims, then over time, it changes. It has to do with the buyer demographic.

I would probably be more interested in the PHEV version but know very little about plug-in hybrids. I am familiar with and like regular hybrids like Camry, Accord, Fusion etc. What are the advantages/disadvantages of plug-in
hybrids compared to regular hybrids?

I would probably be more interested in the PHEV version but know very little about plug-in hybrids. I am familiar with and like regular hybrids like Camry, Accord, Fusion etc. What are the advantages/disadvantages of plug-in
hybrids compared to regular hybrids?
Battery packs are still a wear item. ICE usage becomes a bigger issue depending on the OEM strategy….google Stellantis fuel/oil refresh mode to learn more about their struggles (debacle).

That is fairly common with new model launches. Generally at launch you will sell more of the higher trims, then over time, it changes. It has to do with the buyer demographic.
True. It is interesting to me since the price delta between a 2023 CX-9 Signature (MSRP of right at $50K) and a new CX-90 Turbo S Premium Plus (MSRP of $62K) is pretty wide. Even the Premium Plus trim of the non-S trim is middle $50s so it is appreciably more expensive than the car it replaces. The lower trims are in the middle $40s but it seems, for now at least, customers are not so much interested in the more value oriented trims and are willing to pay more money than what a loaded CX-9 was.

Battery packs are still a wear item. ICE usage becomes a bigger issue depending on the OEM strategy….google Stellantis fuel/oil refresh mode to learn more about their struggles (debacle).
So expensive battery pack replacement is in the future for both plug-in and regular hybrids...that's part of the reason I would rather a regular hybrid because at least 're-charging' every night isn't necessary.

Question for you;

For someone living in a high altitude region would the PHEV supply enough power versus the turbo six?

I have heard and read about the PHEV getting some excellent mpg numbers, some well over 50mpg. For a vehicle that size that is astounding. I would agree that the PHEV is the way to go but for some reason Mazda limits the interior choices for that model both in colors and options. I wish it was the same across both lines.
I don't see why it wouldn't. To my knowledge, altitude doesn't affect the EV portion at all, just the extreme cold or hot temps. Feedback with my customers I've sold PHEVs to reflects those mid-50 mpg numbers. I also agree that it does stink that the Premium Plus doesn't get you all of the options a Turbo S Premium Plus does (cooled second row seats, center console between the second row captains chairs). I do wish you could get the Japanese fabric on the dash/door cards with the White Napa leather or the suede and two ton combo with the Premium Tan quilted napa can on the Turbo S Premium Plus. My spidey sense tells me that with the warmer than expected reception of the PHEV in customer purchases Mazda will add those features next year and also raise the price accordingly.
So expensive battery pack replacement is in the future for both plug-in and regular hybrids...that's part of the reason I would rather a regular hybrid because at least 're-charging' every night isn't necessary.

The 're-charging every night' is more for customer convenience to drive in EV only mode but even the "normal hybrid" mode does a great job balancing usage/regeneration. I will say that when you do full exhaust the EV battery and it switches to the 2.5L ICE only....it is pretty lethargic; 186hp in a vehicle that heavy is not a great feel.

I stopped at a Mazda dealer to price some filters etc...for my daughters CX-30 and saw their new CX-90 on the lot.
It comes with a 3.3L straight 6 turbo which has a 'mild hybrid' motor as well. The powertrain claims 28 mpg highway in what is a fairly large, roomy vehicle. The sticker was $47K and change and it seemed very well equipped. I guess what impresses me most is that Mazda went with a straight six rather than a V6. I wonder if it's their 2.5 four cylinder with 2 cylinders grafted on?
An inline 6 will always give a better performance especially in torque than a V6.
The reason for the V6 is space, as the hood got shorter they had to find a way to fit everything
in that space.

An inline 6 will always give a better performance especially in torque than a V6.
The reason for the V6 is space, as the hood got shorter they had to find a way to fit everything
in that space.

I do agree that it is interesting/impressive that Mazda - not a giant like Honda or Toyota - did the R&D to come out with a new inline 6 ICE when almost everyone is moving away from ICE. Also, the 8 speed auto is a new in-house transmission....without a traditional torque convertor in favor of a single pack clutch. I get the efficiency argument (Car& Driver got 29mpg on their 75mph loop with the higher powered Turbo S version) but it does take some getting used to when folks drive it at first. Also, the car does not launch as hard as some expect with a torquey turbo inline 6; I think it has to do with tuning conservatively and the 48 volt battery handling that initial take off. Again, I fully expect there to be software updates for next model year.

Back