Who's into base models?

I would also note that buying new, almost all cars have power windows, air conditioning, automatic transmissions and cruise control. Back in the day, we would have considered them loaded. Many cars today, have lane keeping assist, auto start/stop, won't move if the door is open and other options that might offer utility to some, but rub many the wrong way and detract from value. I would add that I loved the days when you could get a four speed, vinyl seats, no radio, vinyl "carpet", manual steering in a hatchback that would run for several hundred thousand miles. (1989 Honda Civic HB Base). To the original poster, would also acknowledge the superb aesthetics and engineering, and black trim, of more basic VW's going from, say, 1975 until maybe 1993. (No shade on VW's before and after that time period)

I love base model vehicles ! I was drooling over a 2019 Ranger with the complete vinyl interior.

Give me a base model with steelies, vinyl seats and as few options as possible!
I used to handle ordering the trucks for the mining company I worked for. We always ordered them - F150 4x4, XL trim, add power package (cruise/power windows/etc.). All this to make sure we had vinyl seats and rubber floors.

I have a base 2015 Pilot LX as my first and last. It has many upscale features as likely too hard to remove them. The lack of auto headlights and heated seats in New England is 👎
Some brands have terrible base models...Honda is one of them. My base Golf wagon has heated seats (cloth!)/mirrors/nozzles and auto headlights.

I also searched far and away to find that GSW S trim and got super lucky one a dealer demo version in the very interesting white/silver pearl color... I also had a 2000 2500HD pickup that was the W/T trim package with rubber floor and roll up windows.. should never have let that one go but they got me with the $5@ gallon during Obamafest years....
Does your GSW have 4Motion? Yes, white/silver is pretty rare.

I wouldn't say I'm "into" base models, but I've owned a couple.
- 1988 Ford F-250 custom. Rubber floor, vinyl bench seat, regular cab, no roof liner. 2WD with the 300 I6 backed by a C6 into 4.11's. Didn't have any options, just a radio and manual heat. Was my grandfather's boat towing truck that I inherited.
- 1997 Ford Explorer XL. 4.0L pushrod V6, cloth seats, did have A/C though! Seats were not heated. Did have cruise! "base" on the Explorer was far better trimmed than the F-250.

I’ll take the base. These days a base model is like a fully loaded car from 15-20 years ago. They come with so many standard features now, no wonder the cheap econobox is extinct. But all I really care about is AC, power windows/mirrors/locks, cloth seats. And all base models come standard with that now.

Don't buy cars but always go for base model trucks. Give me rubber floor and spray in bedliner and I'm set. Wet muddy dogs, dirty boots, dirty bikes no worries. Base models come with PW, PL, cruise, AT already, got no desire for latest infotainment suite or nanny features. We had to go up 1 trim level to get an option wife wanted. I just discovered the truck has a heated steering wheel after owning it almost 2 years.

I’ll take the base. These days a base model is like a fully loaded car from 15-20 years ago. They come with so many standard features now, no wonder the cheap econobox is extinct. But all I really care about is AC, power windows/mirrors/locks, cloth seats. And all base models come standard with that now.
Yep. I prefer cloth seats....especially heated ones!

The Evo was a base model without leather, rockford fosgate, sunroof, and HIDs.

Focus was the SE trim with the 1.0L and appearance package.

But the CX5 is loaded and now I wonder if I could ever go back to the basics.

Don't own any base models though i owned a base ranger and it kind of sucked. I don't mind a base models as long as it has cruise control as it's the only feature i truly care about at the end of the day. I can sacrifice power things.

I recently traded in my 2014 Subaru. Close to a base model, the only options were an automatic transmission (six speed MT was still standard at the time but rarely purchased on the base 4 cylinder engine) and alloy wheels.

Very primitive, non-heated seats, no climate control, no backup camera, no GPS, no heated seats, no blinking turn signal lights on the outside mirrors, no heated steering wheel, manual controlled driver and front passenger seats, an A/C system that was adequate, but not what most drivers demand today.

But all in all, a great vehicle for what it had and what it cost new.

I don't understand why you would choose a base model when buying...you instantly go to the bottom of the barrel for resale value. It would be interesting to know the payback when it is time to resell your used car. Do you get a higher percentage on resale given equal miles and condition...I would say yes.

Within reason, I would rather buy the top level of a car that I could afford, rather than the lowest level of a "nicer" car. I believe they carry more value in the long run, resale market.
That's a common fallacy that isn't true. Base models have always held the best resale value of vehicle trims. It's become more true over the last decade where manufacturers have really started nickeling and diming for options.

A more expensive vehicle will sell for more money of course. However, a $40,000 car selling for $30,000 makes for worse resale value than a $30,000 car selling for $24,000. 75% compared to 80% of original value.

I've always searched for base models on the cars I want. My latest purchase is a 2020 Toyota Sienna Base. Manual controls for both front seats. No power for side doors or rear door. It is missing the center console between the front seats, but I can drop a cooler in that spot for long trips, which is a plus.

However, it DOES include Apple Car Play, which is a non-negotiable for me now. I don't think that I would buy a car without that.

Like others have said, I've owned basic models with no A/C, just crank windows, etc. My first car was a '74 Plymouth Duster. No windshield washer fluid motor. I pumped a rubber pedal near the high-beam pedal on the floor to shoot windshield washer fluid...

I've never really had any "Base" vehicles.
My current Accord is the closest that I have had. It is a base model with Alloy wheels and a power seat.
Got a great deal on it, and it has served its purpose.
I have found that the best value is in the mid tier range.
For instance, the last two Honda's that I have purchased for our family vehicles have been EX-L's.
Both the Odyssey and the current Pilot we have have virtually every option that one truly needs, plus leather and a moonroof.
On both of them, it amounted to about a 3K difference on price from base.

Not me. I want the creature comforts. My Grand Cherokee is a Limited with a lot of options, very happy to have most of them. Don't care about the panoramic sunroof though.

I'd say I'm more after mid-trim level though.

On this topic, where did the really great options go: swivel seats, swing away steering wheels, suicide doors, his and hers shifters?? Anybody?

Back