Who's into base models?

I had a 69 Ford F-150 short box 3 on the tree with a 6 cylinder zero options. It would start in the wintertime no matter how cold it was. I would buy a base Corolla or any vehicle without really feeling like a lowballer. There is nothing wrong with buying base models. My grandma had a brand new base 4 door 1964 Chevrolet Nova six cylinder 3 on the tree and it was a blast to drive. It was one of the first cars I ever driven and have fond memories of that little blue Nova.

I should’ve never sold my 2019 S 4-motion 6 speed.

A6D6FE6F-6F45-437F-A34E-B59FF37C5BF5.jpeg

My first 2 cars were poverty spec trims.

After that... I was able to spend more on trims, but haven't reached the luxury brands yet, except for my 08 Passat wagon, that was poverty spec, because I still wanted a manual transmission

1678119305061.jpg

Last edited:
The truck in my sig is a W/T poverty spec. I even still shift the transfer case *gasp* manually. I like it better this way.
My e90 is also a base. I MUCH prefer the single hump dash to the dated looking early I-Drive double hump.

90% of the online car builds I option when daydreaming online are also base to mid spec.

where did the really great options go: swivel seats, swing away steering wheels, suicide doors, his and hers shifters??
Bring back the footwell air vents. Make available tall, retractable aerials for remote radio reception.
Actually, bring back the cow catcher bumpers...the ones on my '76 Nova were great for enlarging parking spaces. The low "mountain axle" that car had sure helped with that.
How 'bout the roll up blind which many Scandinavian cars had in front of the radiator?

Also, what made suicide doors attractive?
What are, "his and hers shifters"?

My 2021 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus (ie the most basic Tesla) was the best value in a Tesla. Almost all of the best Tesla features without the big price.

My Accord is the top model but that was the only Accord 4 door available with the V6 6MT. Other than Nav, it has every feature you could get on an Accord at the time, including a sunroof that we never open. It was an expensive car.

I think you get the most for your money with a base model. I'm all for that though I'll also go for an engine/transmission combination I want. I don't like sluggish vehicles.

I don't understand why you would choose a base model when buying...you instantly go to the bottom of the barrel for resale value. It would be interesting to know the payback when it is time to resell your used car. Do you get a higher percentage on resale given equal miles and condition...I would say yes.

Within reason, I would rather buy the top level of a car that I could afford, rather than the lowest level of a "nicer" car. I believe they carry more value in the long run, resale market.
The base model Ford CUV AWD I Bought a couple years ago has Nice forged Aluminum wheels, 6 speed auto trans, 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 wheel independent suspension, premium Radial Tires, AC, PW. PDL, remote entry, cruise, control, split fold down rear seats , reclining rear seats with premium upholstery, 100watt 6 speaker stereo with a mem card slot and touch screen and BT and 4GLTE wifi and ford connect, all switchs and control back lighted, carpeting, reclining and height adjustable front seating. Far from "Roughing it" :)

The only thing saving some $3500 (!) over the next model up lost me was a bigger touch screen, auto climate control and a sunroof, roof rails, heated front seats and fog lights.

It's usually better to get the size/model up in a lower trim than to option out a 20K car to 24 or 27K!

and I only Paid $16,900 for a 22K car out the door before trade - just before the car shortage craziness really kicked in. Its assembled in India using a Ford Cleveland and other USA drivetrain parts.

All this may come down to what specific vehicle you are buying and the way the pricing is tiered.

Depends.

I remember when electric windows and power steering were "options". A car with PS/PB/PW was pretty optioned out. Back then I would not have ordered it as such...

I did get a Jetta once, pretty optioned out, and rather liked it. But that was atypical for me, usually I prefer lower options. In that case, it was exactly what I wanted. More recently, wife got a base model Camry--but it had almost everything she wanted as standard. Since we tend to stay behind the tech curve, standard model tends to be ok for us, as there is a trickle-down effect.

Base models are always the way to go for a car you drive a lot. More reliable and more affordable. If only they would make new pickup trucks like they used to.

It really comes down the vehicle and what a base-model looks like. My Sportwagen...there was no choice, S trim to get the DSG and 4Motion so that's what I got. I would have had to move to the Alltrack to get an SE or SEL with more features and maintain that drivetrain and I didn't like the cladding or extra stuff (leaking pano sunroof) etc. So poverty/poors spec it was!

After driving a car with radar cruise control, I don't want something new without it.
Interesting, I'll have to try a car with it sometime. I assume this is best on 4 lane highways? What's the max distance you can follow at?

I dislike regular cruise control in our normal rolling 55mph roads, as its so inefficient, applying engine braking down the hills, only to jam on the gas to maintain speed up the next one.... Doing the same average speed, I can get ~20% better mileage using my brain and my right foot.
On flatter drives, I use it in the Outback though. The Focus doesn't have it which I don't really mind as 90% of its driving is local roads.

Interesting, I'll have to try a car with it sometime. I assume this is best on 4 lane highways? What's the max distance you can follow at?

I dislike regular cruise control in our normal rolling 55mph roads, as its so inefficient, applying engine braking down the hills, only to jam on the gas to maintain speed up the next one.... Doing the same average speed, I can get ~20% better mileage using my brain and my right foot.
On flatter drives, I use it in the Outback though. The Focus doesn't have it which I don't really mind as 90% of its driving is local roads.
Our Atlhas has it but my car doesn't - when I switch the ACC always goofs me b/c it will just follow at whatever speed and at times you'll look down and think "Why am I going 60 in a 65?.....oh duh....ACC!" So you hit the turn signal and it will start accelerating as you get into the clear lane and get back to 65. I like it a lot but it does take some getting used to.

If I bought new I‘d go base but I always buy used so I generally end up with some mid tier model.
Similar thinking on my end - once they are used, take advantage of the massive depreciation lux-d out vehicles take and get one loaded. I've bought a mix of new/used in my life but never a top-trim vehicle yet, just never could justify the spend to this point.

Edit...I lied. My 2003 Passat W8 is the top trim for that year...it's so nice even at 20 years old.

Heck yeah. I want minimum features on a car. The way I see it is less to break and less I have to fix. Now of course stuff can break but probably wouldn’t as much as features would. As long as it has a turn key count me in. I prefer power locks so I can have a key fob but not required. Turn key and cloth seats I’ll buy it.

And I don’t care about depreciation. I keep cars till they fall apart. I probably wouldn’t buy one new anyway.

Ah, forgot in my OP (too late to edit):

2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ). Bought new, $20K OTD on that one, Sport trim which was just one up from the SE base. Loved that thing. Test drove the Limited trim....wasn't worth the extra money at that time to me.

1992 Toyota "Pickup" 4x4 5 spd. Used. Base model. Great truck, pretty spartan. Added a CD player and it was good enough. No cruise, crank windows, manual door locks.

I've always had a thing for base model trim vehicles (or mid-trims with lots of options) and have owned several. In particular, VW has always, to me, produced outstanding base models packing lots of value w/r to safety and features AND not making them look so basic i.e. black trim etc. like many American brands. I feel these give the max possible value while out of a particular vehicle's lineup. I've owned:

2000 Jetta GL 5-spd. $17K new OTD (no deal on that one b/c the new MK4 gen had just hit the lot), notable base features...crank windows and no cruise control. Looked the same as all the other trims (GLS/GLX) with the exception of the wheels...came with hub caps. Simple...we just bought some VW accessory allow wheels and shazam! No more base model! Car went 220K/14 years before selling with v. little fuss/cost. Had side airbags which to me at the time was impressive for a base model car. This competed with getting the higher trim GLS which would have netted some better amenities (power windows, sunroof, cruise) but in the end, all of that would have broken anyway hahahah.

Current 2018 Golf Sportwagen S w/4Motion and DSG. Unreal deal. $20K new OTD with a $26K sticker. Complete sleeper and effectively a Golf R wagon light. V. few folks knew/know what it is or that VW made these. Obviously I turned mine into someone quite a bit more now but still, even as a stock base-model car, v. feature-laden and unique. Dealer didn't even know they had it, I had to help them find it on the lot hidden behind all the SU/CUVs. This competed with me getting a GTI and I'm glad I got the awd wagon.

2013 Ford Focus SE 5-spd with all possible packages. $21K new OTD with a reasonable deal negotiated including lots of accessories aded-on that I wanted. So basically the more pedestrian SE trim but with leather, sunroof, appearance package (17s, r. discs) and winter package. Had to have them find it in another state b/c not many of the 5-speeds with that many options. My son drives this today at 10 years/125K. This is by far the lowest cost to operate vehicle I've ever owned and has held up surprising well (interior) for being an American economy car. This competed with me getting the ST and today, sure, I (and my son!) would have been happier with an ST but at that time, this is what I bought/could afford.

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. $22K OTD slightly used with ~10K miles on it. Had many option packages to get a bit more creature comforts. Great SUV and our family hauler for a few years before we did the right thing and sold off for the superior family hauler...a Honda Odyssey. Competed with the higher trim Eddie Bauer but in the end, I just didn't have the extra money for it but would have preferred it for the looks....Ford base/mid-trims have lots of black trim that is somewhat ugly to me.
I am, but with my first new car, I went the other way :ROFLMAO:

I bought a 1998 Maxima SE 5 speed with every option except automatic and sunroof deflector. It was $23k, but at the time, you could actually get a stripped GXE for $15,995, which had steelies and wheel covers. No ABS on such a car, nor side airbags.

Flash forward to 2006--I thought man, if a person ordered a E90 328i with a stick and leatherette and sport package, that's totally shoplifting at $36,xxx. But once again I didn't do that and got the E92 335i 6-manual, but I did show restraint. Sport, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, Premium packages. No Nav, nor anything else.

I do think that buying stripped makes sense--the actual car itself is the same, the underpinnings if you will. Today it's harder to do, because marketing has made it if you want this feature, 6 other nonsense ones come along for the ride! Um, I just wanted power mirrors cuz I hate reaching over to the pass. side to adjust it, are you sure I have to get the McIntosh stereo package for $7,500?! :)

Back