Who's into base models?

I love base model vehicles ! I was drooling over a 2019 Ranger with the complete vinyl interior.

Give me a base model with steelies, vinyl seats and as few options as possible!
I agree....the only options that are a must are A/C and power windows and door locks*....A/T is becoming a must because I hate driving a 'stick' in bumper to bumper traffic which is now the norm almost everywhere I go.

* I didn't require power door locks until I worked in the South Bronx, Harlem, East New York, Bed Stuy, Brownsville etc...while driving my 2008 Corolla CE (which had neither power windows nor door locks). It was a bad visual to be seen reaching across to manually lock your doors...the 'locals' sensed fear....it was much more discreet to hit the power door locks when I took my wife's car to work.

Yep, big mistake on that one - why did you sell something so cool/rare? Like your Prismas even though they are HEAVY! Have them on my Atlas.
I found water in the rear footwell and got pissed and traded it in. I guess the speaker gasket fails a lot on the MK7 cars. The one think I wished the S had was LED headlights. The Osram aftermarket MK7 ones look pretty good, I would probably went that route.

BE9C1C91-D679-48A1-893E-63223E3C887A.jpeg

I found water in the rear footwell and got pissed and traded it in. I guess the speaker gasket fails a lot on the MK7 cars. The one think I wished the S had was LED headlights. The Osram aftermarket MK7 ones look pretty good, I would probably went that route.

View attachment 143611
Yeah, the water leaks are common but not hard to fix if it was just the speaker seals. BBS looks great. LED lights...yeah...I'm not hugely into all of that so just run the deAuto LED bulbs in the facelift housings...works well enough...would love to have the Osrams but it's a ton of money for what is effectively looks.

I had a friend in High school who's dad used to buy old telephone company, city and county used vehicles. Other than a heater, these cars were pretty much bare bones.

My 1992 S10 was base as could be besides having the 4.3 engine. Loved that truck.

My Metro back in the day didn't even have a passenger side mirror, just a blank plate where it would have mounted. Not sure you can even get true "base models" anymore from most manufacturers without doing some type of fleet purchase.

I do like having Bluetooth for car audio now but other than that I prefer the stripper models.

Strippers/base trim in the '80s/'90s were typically 4 speed vs. 5 so you lost your overdrive/highway gear, no AC so vent only and heat, AM/FM radio (if it had one), no power steering or brakes...I think of the Honda Civic DXs from the late '80s.

My 1992 S10 was base as could be besides having the 4.3 engine. Loved that truck.

My Metro back in the day didn't even have a passenger side mirror, just a blank plate where it would have mounted. Not sure you can even get true "base models" anymore from most manufacturers without doing some type of fleet purchase.

I do like having Bluetooth for car audio now but other than that I prefer the stripper models.
I remember cars from the 70s not having passenger side mirrors.

I like base cars because you get 98% of the stuff of the loaded car for 70% of the price.

The manufacturer sells it as a loss leader to try to shame you into something better, or to keep the assembly line rolling, or just to find a different market.

My Prius Prime is decontented, but barely. Has 15" wheels instead of 17, which I like. Cheaper tires, better ride, good enough handling.

Only has the key fob sensor, for automatic door opening, on the driver's door. Limited choice of colors, mostly greys, LOL.

Still has bluetooth between the radio/phone, which keeps the driver legal in most states when they use the phone. Still has that great radar cruise control, all the airbags, the "you're gonna crash" warning, the speed limit sign tracker...

Still has the same powertrain, suspension, headlights, performance, mileage, reliability. You have to get into BMW territory to get a car with a different suspension, and not just something you can upgrade yourself by buying different struts.

Yes. My 2014 Mustang GT is a base model with the only option being the automatic transmission. I wanted it that way.

I'm a big fan of base models as long as it has the largest engine option. A pretty rare combo these days, but it used to be common. Light, simple, quick, and less stuff to break. Think Mustang LX 5.0.

I like base cars because you get 98% of the stuff of the loaded car for 70% of the price.

The manufacturer sells it as a loss leader to try to shame you into something better, or to keep the assembly line rolling, or just to find a different market.

My Prius Prime is decontented, but barely. Has 15" wheels instead of 17, which I like. Cheaper tires, better ride, good enough handling.

Only has the key fob sensor, for automatic door opening, on the driver's door. Limited choice of colors, mostly greys, LOL.

Still has bluetooth between the radio/phone, which keeps the driver legal in most states when they use the phone. Still has that great radar cruise control, all the airbags, the "you're gonna crash" warning, the speed limit sign tracker...

Still has the same powertrain, suspension, headlights, performance, mileage, reliability. You have to get into BMW territory to get a car with a different suspension, and not just something you can upgrade yourself by buying different struts.
Yep, when my parents bought their new Chev Traverse the only real difference between the one they bought and the one that cost almost $6k more was center display navi, other than that still has sunroof/awd/20" wheels/etc etc

Most of the cars I've had or my parents had have been base or close. My '81 Mazda was the 2nd highest of 4 trim levels, but even so, it didn't have useless nonsense like power steering, power windows, electric locking, aluminum wheels, automatic transmission, or a mirror on the right side. Prius is the first I've ever had with those 6 items, or air-conditioning, or factory-installed cruise control. I did install an aftermarket cruise control system in my previous cars, and it was a lot less annoying than Toyota's version.

base gently used, preferably cpo, models always for me. i want cloth seats, stock radio, regular auto trans, plain cruise control and keyed ignition. no electronic nannies or holes cut in the roof. nothing sillier than a guy who boasts about buying all the bells & whistles, then complains because he can’t figure out how to use them or his car payment is high.

My Ram is a “base” model, but has the “Chrome Plus” package which adds 17” aluminum wheels, carpet and cloth seats instead of vinyl, keyless entry, Bluetooth on the otherwise very basic radio, and of course chrome bumpers and grille. Back up camera (tiny display integrated into the rear view mirror that magically disappears when not in use), AC, power locks, and power windows were standard equipment. Also had the 5.7 HEMI and limited slip differential added on. Wouldn’t want it any other way!

Most of my vehicles have been base models with only a few exceptions. It’s more of a financial thing rather than being a fan. I’d happily have more luxuries if it weren’t so expensive and didn’t depreciate so quickly.

The
Not sure you can even order base model Mercs/Bimmers now in the U.S.?
Issue is that in the usa if a manufacturer changes a vehicle more than a certain percent, then it has to be recertified for emissions and crash worthiness. The odd thing is that with factories being more automated there seems to be fewer choices. In the 70's i think Chevy offered something like 8 interior colors and a few different seating options. Now it's black or gray sometimes tan or red maybe white as an option and those are limited to an exterior color option. Can't remember who but one time I was playing with a a build your vehicle and the dark blue was only available with the black interior, yet silver or white i could opt for tan black or a red/black interior.

Back