Who uses Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic?

....... I don't buy the urban legends about Pennzoil=sludge. Maybe that was true in 1950.... But that was a long time ago.

When I bought my F-150 new back in 1991, the salesman gave me a pamphlet, after I paid him and he kicked me to the curb with the keys. All with a smile on his face. It stated that Ford did not want it's customers to use Pennzoil in it's cars, because it contained too much paraffin.

I had heard that before from other sources as well. (Not that it makes it any more true). So I never used it. But that was a long time ago, and before synthetic oils became as popular, or as cheap as they are now.

So for years I used Castrol GTX. Mostly because I was a great admirer of John Force's dirty driving suits. Then I switched to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40, and never looked back. To this day I have no idea if Pennzoil would have either damaged my engine, or turned it into a giant 2 wheel drive candle.

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 was the oil I used the most in my Chev 6.0 LS engine, mostly due to rebates I could get. The engine now has 225,000 miles and still going strong on Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 in the summer and Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w30 in the winter. The Pennzoil rebates are also going strong with $50 off 4-5 liter jugs per household.

have it my civic right now and bunch sitting in the stash. oil is oil. it lubricates and creates hydrodynamic barrier between metal surface. nuff said

I've used it exclusively in our '13 Cruze which we bought new - ~113K miles on it now.

At the time, I wanted to stick with the same oil rather then jump brands every oil change, and I wanted something that was: 1. dexos approved, 2. could stand up to an extended oil change based on the feedback I had seen on here (first car that I would be going over 5K on for oil changes and just changing based on OLM), and 3. could be had relatively cheaply (reliable rebate rather then just buying at the Walmart everyday price).

No issues for the last 113K, but honestly I am sure any correctly speced oil would have served just as well, was more the psychological aspect of having a new car. I think I have 4 jugs left which will take me to ~145K and not sure I will buy more, then again waiting to see what the gift card options are on the current PP rebate.

To the point about others not being willing to buy it, having sold oil on craigslist before, I've had the same experience across many brands. A few times I've had two oils listed in the same post and have heard that the other oil I'm selling is junk but this one is great. Similar to RGT only being able to be used in trucks. :D

I have been using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 for winter oil change intervals for a few years now. I am using a stash of that PP that I found cheap from the sales and promotions section on this forum.

I have found that the oil works really well in the winter for cold starts. The PP is at the thin end of the 30 weight viscosity range. If I find another sale on Pennzoil Platinum, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy more.

One thing I will say is that my wife’s Subaru Outback will develop what sounds to me like a rod knock at hot idle on occasion. During the summer, I use a stash of Mobil Delvac 1300 in 15w40 in the Outback. That is the only oddity that I have noticed. I don’t think it has anything to do with the oil though. The Outback is approaching 250K miles of daily driver use. The engine is very quiet on 15w40 during the summer.

When I still owned my TJ with the 4.0 straight six, it loved Pennzoil. After awhile I switched to PYB because of the frequency of changes. That engine was quieter with Pennzoil, noticeable by ear.

You could say yes.

D37FDFA3-005B-4A60-A7F9-F9909869EE97.jpeg

I used it for a few years in my Tundra . Absolutely no issues and the vehicle is still going strong as far as I know . I don't do my own oil changes anymore so whatever the Nissan dealer uses ...

I think the 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum is a great value for a brand name oil. I wish the 5w-30 was a little higher in viscosity, but I think its a great happy medium for vehicles that got the "CAFE bump" down to 5w-20.

My v6 mustang was a little picky running PP & PUP 5w-30. When running under load, the engine would make a top end noise similar to glass bottles clinking, which is significantly reduced when using RGT/PP 50/50, M1, M1EPHM

My v8 mustang has seen 5w-20 and 5w-30 PP and didn't care much. The 5w-30 was a fraction of a second slower to pump at startup after sitting out for a few days.

50+ yrs of using Pennzoil in all of my vehicles, all my Dad used in his cars, not 1 oil-related problem in any of my vehicles. Use PP 5w30 with confidence in 2 Turbo vehicles, my 17 Regal GS 2.0T and daughters 20 Kia Soul Turbo. Don't play into all the BS that it has a lot of wax, too thin an oil, :ROFLMAO:

I am currently running PUP 5w30. By what I can tell, it works as good as any other major label full synthetic that I've used in the past (mostly M1 and Valvoline/NAPA). Engine runs as smooth, strong, and quiet as it ever did. Use your Pennzoil synthetic stash without worry.

I am currently running PUP 5w30. By what I can tell, it works as good as any other major label full synthetic that I've used in the past (mostly M1 and Valvoline/NAPA). Engine runs as smooth, strong, and quiet as it ever did. Use your Pennzoil synthetic stash without worry.
The fact is my money says they are all so close it isn't worth arguing about! Find a sale and a rebate!

I like Shell oils and used PP most often over past 8 years, never bought a quart of Mobil in those years and only 3 jugs of Castrol. The oil works great for me, using 5w-30 in both Kias that call for 5w-20 as go to. I run the oil with 4K miles OCIs.

I think I have 1 quart of Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 left in my stash? The rest of it is Mobil 1, Delvac 1, Ravenol, Castrol Edge, AMSOIL and a case of Motul 0w-30.

I use it time to time. No different than anything else.

I currently have:
1 jug of PFS 0w20
1 jug of QSFS 10w30

The rest:
1 jug of VAFS 0w20
1 jug of EDGE EP 0w20
4qts of ST AFS 0w20

Last edited:
I've used the platinum, platinum high mileage, and ultra platinum in various vehicles over the last many years. Observations are fairly boring- it seems to work exactly as well as other similarly rated oils. I've never had an issue with the rebate, which is positive. The jugs don't seem to leak for me either.

Ultra Platinum 0w-20 from the UOA program is in my Mustang now. Compared to the NAPA synthetic that I ran before, it seems to run maybe a bit quieter.

I have used synblend and conventional in company leases and currently Platinum is in the van. No issues or discernible difference.

In my area Pennzoil is very clearly the most represented oil advertised for oil change places. That should account for some peace of mind as I see it. One cannot be certain that is what is actually being used however if it was perceived as garbage oil it would not be advertised.
It's marketing. We push Pennzoil at Walmart TLE because they give us the best prices on bulk oil for the shop, not because we think it's the best.

Back