Who uses Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic?

Once upon a time, conventional PYB had a high paraffin content. On this board its probably close to 50/50 Penzoil vs. M1. People that do not accept Penzoil Platinum as a "Very" top tier oil are just mis informed! "PENZOIL is a site SPONSOR"

You're very close to the story. Pennzoil at one time advertised their oil as being made from paraffinic base stocks, which is an another name for alkane hydrocarbons. Paraffinic hydrocarbons can range from gases, to liquids, to solids at room temperature.

However, Billy Bob read the advertisement and exclaimed "Paraffin! Gadzooks! That's the stuff Erma uses to seal her jelly jars!"

This really got a lot of traction as multi-viscosity oils became prominent as most oils of that era has significant sludging issues. The average consumer found out his engine was sludged up and decided "Well it's no wonder, that **** Pennzoil has paraffin in it!".

Pennzoil never had paraffin waxes in the oil. And they never had more sludge issues than the other oils of the era. They were however one of the most popular brands at the time so if you had an engine with sludging issues there was a fair chance it was running Pennzoil. It was a case where someone took a small bit of information and ran with it beyond their understanding.

You're very close to the story. Pennzoil at one time advertised their oil as being made from paraffinic base stocks, which is an another name for alkane hydrocarbons. Paraffinic hydrocarbons can range from gases, to liquids, to solids at room temperature.

However, Billy Bob read the advertisement and exclaimed "Paraffin! Gadzooks! That's the stuff Erma uses to seal her jelly jars!"

This really got a lot of traction as multi-viscosity oils became prominent as most oils of that era has significant sludging issues. The average consumer found out his engine was sludged up and decided "Well it's no wonder, that **** Pennzoil has paraffin in it!".

Pennzoil never had paraffin waxes in the oil. And they never had more sludge issues than the other oils of the era. They were however one of the most popular brands at the time so if you had an engine with sludging issues there was a fair chance it was running Pennzoil. It was a case where someone took a small bit of information and ran with it beyond their understanding.

Pretty much the case. Also, most people short tripped their automobiles a lot as they usually worked in the same town or city. Very very few commuted the distances we hear about today. If someone had to drive 25 miles to work that was considered crazy. Cars took much longer to warm up as well.

Currently running it in the Acura in signature -- 5W20 flavor. Have ran it and PUP 5W20 & 5W30 in all vehicles in signature one time or another. Have multiple 5 quart jugs 5W20 PP & PUP 5W20 on shelves in garage. Probably most bought oil I have ever purchased and dont plan on changing anytime soon.

The fact that base oils that aren't PAO or esters do in fact have wax content (which is what causes them to gel at lower temperatures, hence the requirement for PPD's) doesn't help matters much either, because for Average Joe, that's a mixed message, lol.

I'm not the oil expert around here, but I do know that group 1 and 2 base oils have some paraffin. PYB got this reputation from the 60's and 70's. Oil has come along way since then, and processes have been developed that remove alot of the paraffin. With the prices of Synthetic vs Conventional nowadays, and rebates, most people on this board use Synthetic. Penzoil's gas to liquid is a top notch oil and is often referred to as Group 3+, and many oil industry engineer's feel gas to liquid should have its own class. But, lets be real, as has already been stated in this thread, pretty much any normal engine will live a long life no matter what oil you use as long as it is SM/SN or more recent API spec, and you change your oil with a reasonable maintenance schedule.

I used PP 0w20 in my Accord exclusively for over 6 years and never had a problem. Just recently I switched to Mobil 1 as I could not locate PP in stores due to stocking issues and the fact that I use Exxon/Mobil products in the other two cars. Pennzoil Platinum is a top tier product, use with confidence.

5w30 is in the 1uz in my GS right now. Got it the other month with one of those Wally-Mart pricing hiccups. I've always used M1 HM 5w30 as I can get it in the 6qt case from Costco. The remaining 1/2qt goes in the trunk to top it off 2500mi later. When on sale (which is when I buy a case or 2), it's cheaper than a 5qt jug & single qt at Wally-Mart.

I don't notice a difference between the M1 & PP. Being an old Toyota engine, I don't think it's going to matter. The car just passed CA smog with better numbers than 2yrs ago, so I'm definitely not concerned. If I could get 6qts of the Penny Platinum cheaper than M1, it'd be what the car gets

Last edited:
Used it a time or 2 in the Forester. No complaints. Would use it again but that rebate with the "Lifestlyle merchants" that's on now doesn't work for me.

I've been using it for years in my Honda which now has 265,000 miles on it and she still runs great. What more can you ask for. Of course, I'm pretty sure anyone who uses Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil 1, etc and changes their oil on a regular basis would get the same results. I like Pennzoil in part because they've been a great supporter of many forms of racing throughout the years.

I've had a very good / long term experience with pennzoil platinum 5w-20 & 0w-20. Put 365,000 miles on my 2003 Honda Civic Si running platinum & fram ultra filters for that vehicle's 13 year life. I had a 2012 focus se 5-speed after the Honda for a while, same results.

Now, with my 2019 Honda Civic Type-R that I bought new, it's had nothing but platinum 0w-20 & fram ultra filters after the factory fill. However, with the latest disappointing changes in manufacturing from fram on the ultra, royal purple or amsoil filters go on the car from here on out.

I run kirkland oil in my winter beater 2002 Buick Century and my SO's 2021 Mazda CX-5 non-turbo (currently draining out a kirkland 0w-20 7500 mile run). If I was less particular (ocd/anal) with the Type-R and not a huge Team Penske IndyCar / Pennzoil fan, I'd run kirkland in it and not be the least concerned.

I've been using PP 5w-30 in the Safari, LS400, Lumina and Camaro since 2008. Not so much now, simply because it's not usually on the shelf at the local WM (same with Delo 15w-40).

I used Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 (PPPP in BITOG parlance) in my 2016 WRX for 3 years without any issues, and it held up well to the shear and fuel dilution in that boxer engine.

I went with that because of recommendations here. I liked the fact that it had one of the best Noack scores of any oil at the time (4.7). Not much VM either, which I liked.

20-30 years ago I remember that Pennzoil had a reputation for sludging. Whether it was deserved or not, I don’t know. I kinda doubt it.

“PYB” (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) conventional was THE conventional oil to run among folks on this forum 10-15 years ago when conventional oils were in use much more.

One things for sure - the full synth Pennzoil Platinum oils of today have practically zero in common with those old Pennzoil conventional oils from the 1990s.

Anyway…id run Pennzoil Platinum with confidence.

Is your price too high? What kind of PP is it, and what are you asking?

So does it matter if I’ve used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and not just the Platinum? If so,
I ran the PUP 5w20 in my 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi for about three oil changes after I bought it but because the oil analysis reports kept showing fairly high iron levels and that it only had barely over 50 PPM of moly, I quit using it.

So does it matter if I’ve used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and not just the Platinum? If so,
I ran the PUP 5w20 in my 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi for about three oil changes after I bought it but because the oil analysis reports kept showing fairly high iron levels and that it only had barely over 50 PPM of moly, I quit using it.
No. And high iron on your UOA isn't due to the oil it's due to the engine and/or your operating conditions.

Back