Who uses Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic?

I usually let price be my guide.
That many times has led me to buy Pennzoil platinum. I have never noticed a problem with Pennzoil platinum. I use the rebate section on the forum to help find deals. I also write up a email to my mom and dad to key them in on the deals. I would guess over the years I have used over 80 quarts my self to service my cars.
I have 3 vehicles One 4 qt car, a 7qt suv and one 8qt truck. The grades and specs are different and they are all under factory
warranty.
The suv got a oil change this week
7qts 5w30 Pennzoil platinum bought on rebate. Oil was 1.58 a quart filter 4.79
A full synthetic oil change for less than 16 dollars is a deal. Will watch for another deal on PP to get another 10 quarts the suv really takes Closer to slightly less than 6.75 so I can probably get 3 oil changes out of 20 quarts.

I believe Pennzoil is excellent oil. But I have frankly rarely used it.

Please only comment if you personally use or have used Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic in the last few years, and your personal observations and results. I will probably end up with most of this to use myself, and want to feel confident in using it.

The reason I ask is that I have a relatively large stash of 5w20, 5w30, and 0w40 (from a large oil purchase, thousands of quarts among many brands) and I have been selling all/any of my oil off. My observation is that nobody, and I mean nobody, wants to buy Pennzoil. Some actually refuse it. It's remarkable, really. Mobil1 is the overwhelmingly demanded oil; next is Valvoline, then Castrol... few are interested in Quaker State (a SOPUS product) and nobody wants Pennzoil. Odd, really.

So what are your RECENT Platinum FS experiences good or bad?
I've seen pennzoil platinum do wonders for my 2006 toyota matrix. It stopped the ticking on cold winter start ups, and and totally cleaned up my engine, from neglect due to the previous owner.

PP is the thinnest oil in the 5W-30 flavor. Something to keep in mind. With use it will shear quickly to a 5W-20 or worse. This may be a problem in some engines. I still use it but blend it with some xW-40 to increase the viscosity.
PP 10W30 may be the answer ?

I usually let price be my guide.
That many times has led me to buy Pennzoil platinum. I have never noticed a problem with Pennzoil platinum. I use the rebate section on the forum to help find deals. I also write up a email to my mom and dad to key them in on the deals. I would guess over the years I have used over 80 quarts my self to service my cars.
I have 3 vehicles One 4 qt car, a 7qt suv and one 8qt truck. The grades and specs are different and they are all under factory
warranty.
The suv got a oil change this week
7qts 5w30 Pennzoil platinum bought on rebate. Oil was 1.58 a quart filter 4.79
A full synthetic oil change for less than 16 dollars is a deal. Will watch for another deal on PP to get another 10 quarts the suv really takes Closer to slightly less than 6.75 so I can probably get 3 oil changes out of 20 quarts.
Same with me on price....I go to Wal Mart and get the best deal on a name brand syn oil that meets the Honda req. for a 21 HRV and get a Fram ultra filter and thats it...I change every 7000 miles or so....

I'm running PP HM right now, it's been 5,500 miles so far, and one thing that I've noticed is that it hasn't gotten nearly as dark as the M1 EP HM that I ran before it. Notable is that two people here recently shared correspondence with Pennzoil that said Platinum HM gets less cleaning additives than standard PP, and of course an extra dose of seal swellers.

I know the color of oil isn't totally indicative of everything, but the M1 was almost black by now, and PP HM is still amber. I wonder if the reduced cleaning add pack in PP HM, which I presume is strategic to prevent leaks in older cars, means it has less cleaning ability overall than M1 HM does, because it just seems like there are significantly less contaminants in suspension.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 in a 2018 Camry that spec's 0w16, and a 2014 Honda that spec's 0w20. 70,000 miles on the Camry, which now has 1 quart of HPL's 30 weight "cleaner", and will soon run HPL's 0w20 in the Honda which has 110,000 mile on it. The PUP never needs any oil added between OCI's of 5000-7000 miles in the Camry, but, has always required about 0.75-1 quart added per OCI of 8000-9000 miles on the Honda (I wait until the OCI Indicator reaches 15% oil life remaining when I change it). I'm about to run HPL's 0w20 in the Honda.

I’ve used Pennz Platinum 5w30 in an ‘07 Rav4 v6 since the beginning.
Now at 116k, with 5k oci and no issues. Just an FYI.

PP Euro L 5w30 in my 17 Accord Sport. Only a couple hundred miles on it so far. And just like any other oil I have used, I can’t tell a difference using it. As long as it does what it is supposed to do I’m good

good to know that its very thin cSt at 100C.
PP is the thinnest oil in the 5W-30 flavor. Something to keep in mind. With use it will shear quickly to a 5W-20 or worse. This may be a problem in some engines. I still use it but blend it with some xW-40 to increase the viscosity.

Good to know, it might be a perfect if you want to step up the viscosity from 0W-20 without bigger jump

Dumb question- did Pennzoil stop putting foil under the caps?

I just bought a 5qt and a 1qt of 0w20 Platinum today and neither was sealed with foil.

Last time I used Platinum was about a year ago and it had foil. Weird.

I just bought a 5qt and a 1qt of 0w20 Platinum today and neither was sealed with foil.

None of the several I've purchased over the past ~6 years had the foil. People were complaining here about that back then, too.

I’m a yellow bottle fan, only because they axed the charcoal bottles. I’ve always used Pennzoil, and other than meeting the specs and keeping my engines running without mechanical issue, there’s nothing to separate it from other oils. I like that it’s GTL; I know compared to Group IV/V oils it may leave some available things on the table, but it’s fairly cheap, fairly good performance. But in all honesty, specs and oils are pretty darn good these days and any oil that meets your engine’s specs will perform well.

Use a synthetic oil and change it on time. Buy the cheapest one if you’re looking to save money and your engine will never know the difference.

I don’t think mine have ever had foil on the 5qts, just the plastic ring safety seal, and if this was a food item they would be in trouble as several have not broken upon opening.

I've used it and has done well for me, however I liked it even better before they switched to the pure plus formulation. I noticed after the changeover that I needed to add more oil in between changes and I am not the only one who had noticed that change. For some reason I've only used it in my 99 Civic and 04 GMC w/ 5.3 but I never have in my 97 Civic, I cannot really answer that question other than the consumption seemed a bit higher in that car and it was more likely to need even more oil. I've mostly used Chevron Delo 10w30 but over the last few changes I have since switched to Valvoline Maxlife either the blend or full synthetic. I've started using it in the truck back when it was all the rage on here and only used that up until RGT, I may switch over to QS once my stash of that runs out as it's practically unobtainable and even if you do prices are prohibitively expensive. I did pick up a jug of their Euro 5w30 to use in the 97 but haven't changed the oil yet but right now I've found that by adding 1qt of 30w really slows the consumption down, this Euro oil is almost a 40w so I wouldn't need to do that. I've used the PP in my 99 over the last several years and has been great.

I really do like SOPUS products and they are totally different from the old tales that you used to hear of from back in the day.

I believe Pennzoil is excellent oil. But I have frankly rarely used it.

Please only comment if you personally use or have used Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic in the last few years, and your personal observations and results. I will probably end up with most of this to use myself, and want to feel confident in using it.

The reason I ask is that I have a relatively large stash of 5w20, 5w30, and 0w40 (from a large oil purchase, thousands of quarts among many brands) and I have been selling all/any of my oil off. My observation is that nobody, and I mean nobody, wants to buy Pennzoil. Some actually refuse it. It's remarkable, really. Mobil1 is the overwhelmingly demanded oil; next is Valvoline, then Castrol... few are interested in Quaker State (a SOPUS product) and nobody wants Pennzoil. Odd, really.

So what are your RECENT Platinum FS experiences good or bad?
So far so good in my Subaru. My Elantra loves it honestly. No oil burn on a 165k motor.

Right now I'm running Shell Helix Ultra (= Pennzoil Platinum Euro) 5W40 in my car. It's a good oil.

It carries more factory approvals than any other oil on the market that I know of.

Specifications: API SP/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; VW 502.00/505.00; Porsche A40; Renault RN0700, RN0710; PSA B71 2296, Ferrari. Meets the requirements of Fiat 9.55535-Z2 and Chrysler MS-10725

Thay stopped putting the seal on the jug because some idiots were some how getting the seals into the motors. Just another example of dumb consumers who don't know anything and can screw up the simplest thing.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro is a great oil, a little more anti wear Zinc in the formula, a step up from the Pennzoil Platinum. but the same price.
I currently run one of the best oils in my motorcycles- Pennziol Ultimate durability which has gone head to head in tests against Amsoil which is currently rated #1. I just add a touch of ZDDP to the Pennzoil-motorcycles don't have a catalytic converter.

Thay stopped putting the seal on the jug because some idiots were some how getting the seals into the motors. Just another example of dumb consumers who don't know anything and can screw up the simplest thing.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro is a great oil, a little more anti wear Zinc in the formula, a step up from the Pennzoil Platinum. but the same price.
I currently run one of the best oils in my motorcycles- Pennziol Ultimate durability which has gone head to head in tests against Amsoil which is currently rated #1. I just add a touch of ZDDP to the Pennzoil-motorcycles don't have a catalytic converter.
It's actually the phosphorous that's the anti-wear additive and how are you going about adding more ZDDP? You are aware that there are different types of ZDDP, correct? Depending on the application.

I'm not sure what tests you are referring to, I hope not Project Farm or the 540Rat blog?

Back