Who runs OCIs greater than 12,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i drive 140 miles 5 days a week and on the weekends go to mother in laws 100 miles round trip. i change my oil every 3k, which seems to be every week lol. but oil is cheap and i enjoy doing it.

a good friend of mine with a honda that makes the same drive to dallas every day runs until he notices a .75 mpg drop. usually its 5 or 6k. and always gtx 5/20. he has 250k on the car and it runs great. the guy is really on top of his mileage, checks it every fill up and goes off if its not at least 39 mpg lol.

I've been following Amsoil OCI since '98. I have 2 Subaru's an '06 & '08 NA 2.5 Outback & change the EAO Filter 1/2 thru the yearly OCI

My old roommate runs 15K in his BMW Z4 3.0. He's just following the mfg schedule and the motor is still humming along. It's getting the Castrol SLX stuff the dealers carry (LL-03?).

2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
Mobil 1 5w30 EP
Wix 57090
12,700 mi (OLM was down to 6%)

Will probably do 12k OCI's on dexos1 Mobil 1 when it becomes available.

Originally Posted By: MadMike4
For those of you regularly running extended OCIs, post vehicle, oil and filter, and interval.

Me?
2008 Honda Civic EX
Amsoil SSO 5w-20
Ams OEA-13 filter

Was hoping to get 15k OCI (mostly highway).... but it's not working out

SS0 5W-20? I'm confused a bit. Find out which oil you are using.

I noticed that Mobil Extended Protection advertises on this site that you can go 15,000 miles OCI, proven protection. So is this true or what??? what about a UOI, anyone done a long OCI with this oil??

Originally Posted By: MadMike4
For those of you regularly running extended OCIs, post vehicle, oil and filter, and interval.

Me?
2008 Honda Civic EX
Amsoil SSO 5w-20
Ams OEA-13 filter

Was hoping to get 15k OCI (mostly highway).... but it's not working out

Why is it not working out? I have been doing 20k OCI's with my wifes truck since it had 80k, it now has 140k using Amsoil SSO and EAO23 filter. First few oil changes I did an analysis at 10k at which time it was down 1QT Oil results was good and said to try for 15k, well I figured I topped it off with a fresh Qt so I went 20k and tested again and the results was still impressive and could have gone farther according to blackstone, however I feel 20k it is time to change filter and oil.

I have never had an issue with the EAO filters as far as losing oil pressure even after a 20k run.

The first 80k on the truck was mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 oil filers with 10k oci's...the truck has used 1qt of oil every 10k since brand new.

I change the dino oil at 6000 miles.

I usually change synthetics at 8,000 miles.

I did run Mobil 1 out to 10,000 miles twice, and I think Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil, Edge, and several other synthetics can do 15,000 miles in some cars.

The car is a 1996 Toyota Avalon, and I have experimented with many oils in it.

I do not usually go past 8000 miles as there are other mechanical issues I need the mechanic to look at anyway, like brake linings. I have thought about using Edge out to 15,000 miles and CHANGING THE FILTER AT THE HALFWAY POINT. I think the amount of dust the filter can hold is the biggest issue. If it gets full, the best oil in the world will still be laden with dust, causing a lot of wear. But changing both the oil and filter at lesser intervals, using the cheaper dino oils, is about as economical as my mechanic is just two blocks away.

Last edited:
oil is cheap, engines arent so i stick with 7k max even though 10k is reasonable

I am planning to run 11,000 on my 2006 camry v6. it is at 9,000 miles. oil level is on full mark. Oil is still look new. 5w30 castrol syntec.

I want to do 14,000 OCI. but I have to rotate my tires ASAP. So yea I am taking my car to walmart after 11,000...

It is not about the oil is cheap, and money.

My driving commute is 99 % highway, using cruise control, never over 70 mph... I drive about 3400 miles a month.

so there is no reason for me to change oil at 7k.

10,000 - 12,000 OCI.

U might need to change filter. I read some where that certain cars oil pressure light were coming on when they got up in the miles. I know they make a good filter. I wish i could remember where i read that. U should call them up.

In the mean time i would try a purone, m1 or k&n. I personaly use pure one. Im at 5k and im take it 15k

I just sent a sample in of Petro-Canada 5W-30 'conventional' with 20,979 miles on it from my Cavalier.

Stay tuned for results.....

My dad was just visiting over the holidays and told me that he only changes the oil in his 2005 Ford Escape every 25,000 miles and that he uses Mobil 1EP. Either he is getting senile or smarter in his old age... I know that his Escape still runs/sounds just fine...

next OCI I will go 10,000 miles, then do UOA, before pushing it out to 1 year but up to 15,000 miles all using M1 5w-30 EP.

Also going to do a UOA on current fill gone 5000 miles before switching to M1 to make sure no mechanical issues or leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back