Who runs OCIs greater than 12,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you regularly running extended OCIs, post vehicle, oil and filter, and interval.

Me?
2008 Honda Civic EX
Amsoil SSO 5w-20
Ams OEA-13 filter

Was hoping to get 15k OCI (mostly highway).... but it's not working out

I don't. I never will. A car is too expensive of a purchase to cheap out on a a few extra oil changes. Not trying to start a war, just my $.02.

If it isn't working out, three things come to mind:

1. Try a different filter. There was a TSB from Amsoil that stated that once the filter reached capacity, it could cause low oil pressure.

2. Change the Amsoil Filter at 6,000 miles, and top up.

3. You didn't say what "isn't working out" means. Could it be you are trying to put a square peg in a round hole? A 12K OCI isn't too shabby- you've gotten your money's worth.

Last edited:
An OCI of at least 12,000 miles is exactly what I'm aiming for with my car. I'm really going for the longest OCIs possible, but 12k is my purely arbitrary goal for now.

I do like the idea of saving money and natural resources. But in the end, I must admit it's mostly out of curiosity (to see if and how it is possible for my car), as well as a desire to set an example for others and contribute to the general knowledge base.

Notice on page 199 of the "post your latest oil change" thread. There I explain the latest OC my friend did two days ago here at my garage. Scroll down for other details for that OC.

^Nice goal d00d.

I'm basically the same way. I'm a 3k miles kinda guy but have ventured far past that (working my up past 10k at the moment) just to basically test the claims on my own, in my cars, with my driving style/conditions.

Why change the oil early if you really don't have too? The engine will last till 200k either way and by then either be sold or wrecked, so why spend more money on maintenance then necessary...

just my $0.02

Originally Posted By: tig1
Notice on page 199 of the "post your latest oil change" thread. There I explain the latest OC my friend did two days ago here at my garage. Scroll down for other details for that OC.

there is no 199. it only goes up to page 133.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem

It does go to page 199.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1491923&page=199

And on mine it only goes to page 100
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1491923&page=100

Think about it a while and maybe the answer will come to you.
grin2.gif

I had a hard enough time breaking the 3,000 mile oil change OCD. I am now using my OLM which gives me 5,500-6,000 mile change intervals. The only way I would do 12k oil changes is if I could no longer buy new oil at a reasonable price.

several of the guys on miata.net run greater than 10k, i use 10 as a target, but have hit 13k twice because of unexpected long trips without issue (M1 0w40 and M1-110 oversize filter).

one of the guys ran 18k on Valvoline 5w40 syn with a UOA that was just amazing (and i am NOT a valvoline guy). i will say i have never actually seen that oil in a store.

i have run 15K on my FX45 once, and was not happy with the Delvac ESP 5w40 results. i am heading toward 15k again with M1 TDT and M1 filter.

i will say that procurement of a vacuum pump from Blackstone has made it easier to pull a sample and check to see if it will make it the 15k...or 20k

my former CayenneS (back to Porsche under the lemon law because of transmission problems) had a recommended 20k OCI, which i followed. since the pig went back to Porsche, i reused the sample container on something else...

My OLM gets me to about 8500 IIRC, and that's assuming reg oil. Since I drive high mileage, I desire extended OCI.

It depends on how your browser is formatting what you see.

Each post has it's own post number, just reference that and you can't go wrong.

Originally Posted By: MadMike4
I see it going to p. 133

Guys...

You're seeing different numbers of pages because your forum preferences are set differently. At the top of the page, click "My Stuff;" in the menu that comes up, click "Edit Preferences;" on the page that comes up, scroll down to "Total posts to show on one page when viewing a post in flat mode: (default is 15)."

If that number is 10, you will see 200 pages in the Last Oil Change thread. If the number is 15, you will see 133 pages. If the number is 30, you will see 67 pages, and so on. This is because the thread has almost 2,000 posts in it, and the number of posts per page determines the number of pages you see:

2,000 posts, 10 per page = 200 pages
2,000 posts, 15 per page = 133 pages
2,000 posts, 30 per page = 67 pages
(etc.)

See?

coffee2.gif
makes sense, hence why i didn't know what post he's talking about because the number of pages are different.

Need the post #

32.gif

I was til I had a filter start to plug after 8 or 9k. Amsoil oil and filter in 03 camry. The oil pressure light was taking several seconds to go out. Back to normal after OC. Will now do semiannual changes to keep OCI 5-6k on 2011 camry and abt 7k on 03 camry. better safe than sorry.

I am going to 10,000 miles with PU and a BoschDplus filter and after that I will be going up to 15,000 miles with 5W-30 amsoil with a EAO filter. I might change the filter at 7500 miles to be safe.

But I am comfortable with long OCI's. When I was younger I did 5000 OCI's then 8000 OCI's with synthetic.

So I am real comfortable and don't stress out about an oil related failure.

Just think 15 years ago some oils were advertised of being able to go 25,000 miles.

Us old farts remember that. Or young old farts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back