Which one should I sell/keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new vehicle will be arriving into the family soon. I am going to be selling one that we currently own. The wife wants a new SUV and I'm going to give in so I’m asking for some opinions on which car to keep/which to sell. The vehicles are as follows:

2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L - 125,000 miles. Purchased around 60k. I am the second owner. It’s recently had brakes and a new bearing/control arm in the driver’s front side. The car has run very well. It is parked outside, so the body is showing rust and some paint fading. It does need the full timing belt/water pump change soon. I don’t think it’s ever been done, but the belts still look good. If I keep it, I’ll have to get this done.

2009 Hyundai Sonata V6 Limited – 145,000 miles. Purchased around 15k. We’ve never had anything mechanically go wrong with this car. I’ve done all the regular maintenance on it. This too will need a drive/serpentine belt replacement soon. This also has been well cared for and always garaged, so the car still looks great.

Honestly, both cars are pretty much the same car. Leather/heated seats, sun roof, XM, and the usual stuff. One is not clearly more comfortable or rides better than the other. That’s a wash to me.

I figured as well as I take care of them, selling outright is a much better option than using it as a trade in. I do the usual nerdy maintenance log book which may or may not matter to anyone. I don’t have any reason to think these vehicles won’t go well into the 200k mile range. Twenty-something years of winter abuse is about as much as you can expect a car to be able to take around here and that may become the ultimate limiting factor.

Keeping the Hyundai seems like a no-brainer to me, personally. Unless you're looking for which car you can sell for the most money.

Sell both and get two new rides. You only live once and may as well enjoy it.

Otherwise I say keep the Honda. It would think it would still be worth more later on than the Sonata.

I think selling the Honda would be faster and better. Some thoughts....

1) Many people are "Honda worshipers" so it'd work for you.

2) If your nerdy list of maintenance (just like mine) isn't good enough for the particular car shopper, let him walk. No sweat.
One fool insisted that I buy some imitation Car-Fax. He said he liked my homemade maintenance / repair list but wanted this particular service's product.
I told him to go buy it himself. He didn't call back.

3) 12 years ago I sold a family member's 1999 Honda Accord V-6 loaded + well maintained + real good rubber. There were millions of Hondas on the listings at that time. See if it's the same today where you live. However, I do not think your decision should be based on what's listed online. Your car will sell.

4) When the Honda sells take some of that money and pamper the Hyundai a bit.

3 MY newer and only 20K more miles and garage kept seems like a no-brainer. What it's worth in 5-10 more years compared to the Honda isn't much of a consideration. The Sonata will likely get you as far as you want to go with less underbody drama than the Honda.

Not rust free Nick, just less rust making it's end of life further away.

Keep the Honda vote here!!! Hyundais ALWAYS have been and ALWAYS will be throw away cars.
shocked.gif

Dale

Last edited:
I don't see any reason to keep the Honda here. The Hyundai sounds like it's in a little bit better shape (no rust), it's a few years newer, and that 3.3L V6 is actually extremely durable.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Keep the Honda vote here!!! Hyundais ALWAYS have been and ALWAYS will be throw away cars.
shocked.gif

Dale

Says the guy with a 2017 throwaway car in his signature

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
shocked.gif

Dale

So you're saying you can predict the future?

My Ginny is a keeper.

I vote to sell the Honda as I think the market is better for the Honda badge and the V6+auto is a known problem spot.

That being said, both are likely about the same in longevity so the real perk would be that the Honda would command the resale value bump IF you sold it. The Hyundai will likely be cheaper to repair overall and Honda can be a bit more picky about some maintenance things. The Delta 3.3 Lambda in the Hyundai is a known workhorse so as long as the rest of the car is strong (tranny/trim), then stick with that.

If you lived somewhere where it didn't rust, I'd say keep the Honda hands down.

However, since you live somewhere where cars rust, keep the one with less rust, and that seems to be the Hyundai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back