Keep or sell Subaru

I am currently settling my father's estate. He owned a 2013 Subaru Legacy Premium. It has 24k miles, with no problems. He bought it new. Uses no oil. Probably will need tires because of cracking. I do not need an extra car. I am not sure of possible issues that these cars usually exhibit. My question, taking into consideration any likely common issues with these, should I sell it or keep it and get rid of my present 2003 Grand Marquis (mom's) w/ 39k miles which I had purchased from him 2 years ago. My daily driver is a Ford F150 which I need and is not in the equation.

The 2003 Grand Marquis has low miles and it will need repairs at some point in time just due to it's age. On the other hand the Subaru is new enough where it more than likely won't need much other than the tires you mentioned. I would keep the Subaru however the Grand Marquis wouldn't bring much money in today's market due to it's age and book value if there is one. With increasing gasoline prices the Subaru would be great for those trips when you don't need your F-150. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Wash it and vacuum, sell it.

Unless you are emotionally attached to the car it just an extra expense to insure and register the vehicle.

Last edited:
I would flog the Mercury long before the low mile Subaru. Thinking ahead I believe gas prices will make that Suby a lot more valuable.
Who knows owning one gas hog already you may find it is better to keep it for yourself.

I agree with this. The added benefit of AWD is another factor for you.

That GM is easy to repair, parts are cheap, insurance low cost, and no worries if you get a dent or scratch. Way more roomy and comfortable than the Subaru. Gas mileage is only going to be minimally less than the Subaru. It only weighs 200-300 pounds more. The 4.6 is bulletproof and will easily go over 300,000 miles without a major repair. The Subaru will probably need head gaskets in half those miles. And in a wreck, the bigger car will often come out better.

I would dump the old beater Ford sedan for whatever you can get and keep the Legacy. On the other hand Subaru have much higher resale than Fords so by all means if you are looking for a quick sale for top dollar, sell the Subaru. If it were me I would keep the Subaru and dump the Ford and would still have two vehicles.

Another vote to sell the Mercury and keep the Subaru.
Polish and wax the Mercury. The low mileage will sell it. BTW, what color is it? Manual or auto (Ha-ha)
Look at Ford and "like minded" forums' classified sections.

Last edited:
I’m not afraid of old low mileage cars. If you think in the nearest future, like 2-3 years, there woukd be a need for it, I’d park it indoors and buy tires when you put it back in service. If you can store it, all good. If it’s not possible to store (unregistered, uninsured), then the calculus gets harder.

AWD may have some value. A legacy wagon isn’t huge, but it isn’t small. A 2013 premium trim level probably has a lot more bells and whistles than a 2003 Mercury.

I think you just have to ask what does each one do better than the other, and weigh the options.

I think the Subaru woukd be the keeper, sell the GM to an enthusiast, there are lots out there...

The five year fuel cost to operate a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis is $3,500 more than for a 2013 Subaru Legacy Premium. That’s another $700 a year in your pocket for dumping the old Ford in favor of the Subaru. That is even granting the 18 year old Ford is as close to being in factory fresh tune as the 8 year old Subaru, which is doubtful.

The five year fuel cost to operate a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis is $3,500 more than for a 2013 Subaru Legacy Premium. That’s another $700 a year in your pocket for dumping the old Ford in favor of the Subaru. That is even granting the 18 year old Ford is as close to being in factory fresh tune as the 8 year old Subaru, which is doubtful.
He drives his f150 daily so those numbers are not accurate?

I’m not afraid of old low mileage cars. If you think in the nearest future, like 2-3 years, there woukd be a need for it, I’d park it indoors and buy tires when you put it back in service. If you can store it, all good. If it’s not possible to store (unregistered, uninsured), then the calculus gets harder.

AWD may have some value. A legacy wagon isn’t huge, but it isn’t small. A 2013 premium trim level probably has a lot more bells and whistles than a 2003 Mercury.

I think you just have to ask what does each one do better than the other, and weigh the options.

I think the Subaru woukd be the keeper, sell the GM to an enthusiast, there are lots out there...
Sitting outside in Ohio for years is terrible on a car, If inside storage is available might be ok to store.

This is from memory:
there were no 2013 legacy wagons its a sedan.. has an early fb25 engine first year in the legacy for this engine.. that had quite a few early issues mostly around the piston rings and oil burning.
Has a early example of their cvt.

If he said he was daily driving it a legacy would be an amazing upgrade from the 2003. but as a second or 3rd car.. I'd sell it and he can buy something he wants in a few years.

Last edited:
I would sell the Subaru to Carvana. You can go on their website for an estimate and they will come and pick it up. Since it’s something they will probably keep and sell on their retail side the offer should be pretty fair. Prob about 11k.

That GM is easy to repair, parts are cheap, insurance low cost, and no worries if you get a dent or scratch. Way more roomy and comfortable than the Subaru. Gas mileage is only going to be minimally less than the Subaru. It only weighs 200-300 pounds more. The 4.6 is bulletproof and will easily go over 300,000 miles without a major repair. The Subaru will probably need head gaskets in half those miles. And in a wreck, the bigger car will often come out better.
I have to admit, the back seat of the GM is practically inhabitable because of the extra large trunk.. More room in back area with Legacy. Mileage is roughly 20-24 versus 30-33 consistantly.

Back