I'm recommending a Subaru Impreza for a fren's daughter (do you agree?)

A fren has come to me seeking advice for a new car for his just-turned-20 daughter. He's been out of the loop (he was never in the loop) when it comes to cars, so they will take my advice seriously.

Naturally, he's leaning towards the Honda Civic and the Toyota Corolla as people generally do because it's become something of a 'default' choice.

I'm pushing them away from these choices and steering them towards a Subaru Impreza because this car is what I would choose if I were to buy a brand new sedan (or hatchback based on a sedan chassis) today.

Their reasons for the Civic/Corolla are the usual reasons: reliability, low insurance cost, low cost of ownership which includes the fact that many 100's of 1000's will be produced which means aftermarket parts and factory parts will be easy to source and will be affordable. Some other benefits are that these cars will have a large online community, which definitely helps too. Aftermarket performance parts like 'coilovers' will be available soon too.

I'm recommending the Impreza because the Subaru is only new sedan that still has good VISIBILITY: it has visibility that is about as good as a vehicle manufactured over a decade ago, it's forward visibility is about as good as my 2007 Corolla, and the side visibility is even a little better, but the rear visibility is definitely not as good. It has good driving dynamics and the CVT is at least as good as the Civic and Corolla. However, there are some potential downsides to owning a Subaru as well such as the possibility that this low volume seller might be discontinued. Insurance cost appears to be slightly higher, and parts availability is a little worse. It also appears to be harder to work on. Frankly speaking, the Subaru is not as attractive as the Civic, it's downright ugly on the outside whereas the Civic is very attractive and elegant looking (but horrible rear visibility.)

I find the driving dynamics of the Impreza to be superior to both the current Corolla AND the current Civic (11th generation) though it is not as good as the 10th generation Civic. My reference point is the 2023 Impreza, but there's a new one coming out with the expectation that it will be even better.

Do you think I am serving them well?

One reason I don't recommend Subaru AWD vehicles to young people is the cost of tire replacement. After about 20K miles, our experience is that you will need to replace all four tires rather than one or a pair. Most young people don't have the money ready to do
that.

This perspective comes from a family that has owned four Subarus so far.

I vote for the Subaru as past owner of two of those reliable vehicles. My Forester tires lasted ~ 35,000 miles depending on the tires I purchased. AWD drive vehicles like Subaru, Toyota Awd, Honda Awd etc. always recommend replacing four tires when rotating as recommended interval. I value and appreciate the safety factor when driving in inclement weather and slippery roads.

No get the Corolla Cross it's just a jacked sedan like the Impreza just more reliable.
I like this suggestion. Subaru has had a lot of recalls over the years but I can understand why AWD would be a "feel good" for a parent with a 20 something child.

I vote for the Subaru as past owner of two of those reliable vehicles. My Forester tires lasted ~ 35,000 miles depending on the tires I purchased. AWD drive vehicles like Subaru, Toyota Awd, Honda Awd etc. always recommend replacing four tires when rotating as recommended interval. I value and appreciate the safety factor when driving in inclement weather and slippery roads.
You may feel more secure with AWD but really it's the tires good or bad that keep you stuck to the road.

One reason I don't recommend Subaru AWD vehicles to young people is the cost of tire replacement. After about 20K miles, our experience is that you will need to replace all four tires rather than one or a pair. Most young people don't have the money ready to do
that.

I plugged a few on my Subaru. More than once I had one flat, then a month later got another. Would have been a LOT of 4 tire replacements!

Modern Subarus are pretty reliable, easy to work on, and tend to have parts that are interchangeable between models over many years. The modern engines no longer have the common head gasket issues of the old EJ engines. They've also got timing chains now, iridium spark plugs, 11-year coolant, and a really convenient oil filter placement.

There are a few things that will make them higher maintenance than a Corolla or Civic though. The boxer engine layout makes checking or changing spark plugs a bit more work, and if you have to do anything involving removing valve covers or heads, the engine might need to be lifted to do the work. The Impreza also uses about 20% more fuel than the Corolla.

The AWD system doesn't require much more in the way of maintenance, just an extra litre of gear oil for the rear diff every 60k miles. It does require that all tires be similar in rolling diameter though, so tire rotations are necessary every so often, and a damaged tire that is un-repairable will require purchasing another set of tires.

You may feel more secure with AWD but really it's the tires good or bad that keep you stuck to the road.
Safety can mean a lot of things. Having traction control chop off the power to your drive wheels as you're pulling into traffic can make for a bad day. That's less of an issue with AWD.

that.

Just rotate the tires once a year, we are still running the original tires in the summer with ~45k miles on them still at 4-5/32.

If AWD is going to be useful then the Impreza wins a lot of comparisons.
Also its kind of a brick outhouse, with the drivetrain from the bigger cars, and the same platform, just shrunk a bit. Also even the base model has all the eyesight stuff like auto braking, lane assist, etc.
2023 models are a good deal too, and subaru doesn't do much "ALL NEW!" designing, so the 23 and 24 are basically the same car with some incremental improvements that may or may not be noticed.

Had an Impreza hatchback and really liked it. I'd buy another although now I'd probably go with a Forester for the added height, easier in/out. Depending where in NY the AWD may be a major plus factor. Subaru makes excellent vehicles. I'd buy another without any concern. Tire wear? Not really any different than any other if driven in a similar manner. YMMV

Subaru for sure. Me and my family will never ever buy a new Toyota ever again. They are horrible about warranty so that’s enough to turn me away. The Subaru is easier to work on than most Toyota too. With the exception of spark plugs and a few other things. Personally I’d look at a Crosstrek over Impreza but that’s just simply because it would fit my needs better but both are a solid choice. As a Subaru and Toyota mechanic I can safely say Subaru. Subaru is also king of the snow now too. Toyota in my opinion has gone downhill over the last few years with warranty and quality and the price has skyrocketed too. I agree with your recommendation to them. And generally Subaru will always take care of you in some way even outside of warranty. Toyota will not nor will Honda from my experience.

Back