Sell Accord for Economy Car? Your Opinion Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The Accord is an economy car.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Beat me to it.
smile.gif

My feelings exactly.

Unless going from some massively expensive SUV to a compact, you aren't going to gain anything financially from selling a 100% owned car and buying a new one. Gas isn't that pricey, yet.

2.5miles isn't that hard on the body; and people who work out often can work up a bit of sweat and not stink too badly for such a small trip. It's when you sweat for hours that the smell seems to rise up. And, given the push to look all enviro-friendly, many companies are putting in showers etc.

But 2.5miles... Ok, walking that could take 40min. But it is a liesurely bike ride, assuming traffic isn't bad. Almost too short to count as excerise!

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Consider selling the car and ride a bicycle to work!

He already mentioned he bikes to work when weather is good.

No, he said he rides a motorcycle to work when the weather is good.

Unless you work at a factory and don't care about your BO, I don't see how riding a bicycle to work is going to be practical. In summer time, you'll be sweating by the time you get to work. In winter time, you'll be freezing to death and/or sliding around. Selling a car is not an option, IMO.

Lots of people with office jobs do it every day. I'm not saying it's possible or practical for everyone, but it's definitely not impossible. I think most people in America have been conditioned to think that everyone MUST own a vehicle, even when they don't actually need one.

IMO, I think you'd lose too much by selling it and getting something else. Figure in the sales tax, depreciation, etc. and you'd probably come out ahead just doing the routine maintenance on the Accord. Being that you're not putting on that many miles, the fuel savings isn't going to be as large as if you're driving 50+ miles a day or something like that, either. Just my 2 cents.

Lots of people with office jobs do it every day. I'm not saying it's possible or practical for everyone, but it's definitely not impossible. I think most people in America have been conditioned to think that everyone MUST own a vehicle, even when they don't actually need one.

I can see it working some days, but not every day. OP lives in Cleveland. During winter months, early morning it's going to be in the 20s and probably snowy/icy. Other times, it might be raining cats and dogs or you might have to drop your kids off at school before going into work. Not to mention things like grocery shopping.

So, unless your city has a stellar public trans system, I don't see how you can just ditch the car completely. Now, if it's a husband-wife, I can see them being able to share one car.

Anyway, sorry about going OT.

"- Fluids will need changing in 2015 (brake fluid, power steering, coolant – few hundred bucks)"

You could do a drain/fill of the brake reservoir, same with PS. Repeat at next oil change. Coolant should be fine for 10yr/100k or basically until your timing belt is due.
There; your $300 service is now $40

"- Belts are original and may need changing for preventative maintenance"

Don't do these until you do your timing belt at 105k. Save your $ for this, as it will be the major service you need.

I'm guessing AT? Drain and fill your trans fluid routinely to keep it happy.

These are all very simple things to save you hundred$ in ANY car ownership. If you don't have a work area (apt dweller), how about a parent's/friend/GF driveway, etc. This is what I do for most of my maintenance work.

I also think you're overstating how much your Accord is worth and understating how much those others cars are to buy. Keep the Accord. Buy some tools
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
"- Fluids will need changing in 2015 (brake fluid, power steering, coolant – few hundred bucks)"

You could do a drain/fill of the brake reservoir, same with PS. Repeat at next oil change. Coolant should be fine for 10yr/100k or basically until your timing belt is due.
There; your $300 service is now $40

"- Belts are original and may need changing for preventative maintenance"

Don't do these until you do your timing belt at 105k. Save your $ for this, as it will be the major service you need.

I'm guessing AT? Drain and fill your trans fluid routinely to keep it happy.

These are all very simple things to save you hundred$ in ANY car ownership. If you don't have a work area (apt dweller), how about a parent's/friend/GF driveway, etc. This is what I do for most of my maintenance work.

I also think you're overstating how much your Accord is worth and understating how much those others cars are to buy. Keep the Accord. Buy some tools
laugh.gif

I would do the same with the transmission after all of the issues Honda had with those in the previous generation Accords with the V6 engine. I've had good luck with Amsoil ATF in both Honda transmissions I maintain (one of which being a trouble-prone 2001 Civic AT). With the Civic I do it once a year, and with the Integra once every 2 or 3 years.

T-belt is at 7 years / 105K miles. You have two more years before you need to drop $1K on a timing belt change.

Everything else is small.

The Accord is the better deal.

+2 don't do it.

See if the same car sold in canada or even a third world country has a cheaper tire option... like if you have 17 inch tires, see if taller 15 inchers will fit and get the rims to go along.

Yes you'll be sabotaging your ride slightly, but any econobox will have a less sophisticated suspension, or at least one with less travel.

I have an idiot relative who rolled an infiniti pathfinder loan into a subaru, drove the subaru 70k until it needed tires and brakes, then rolled that loan into another brand new subaru! And they're always short on cash. Don't be this person!

He's got 225/50/17 tires. It's a fairly common size and not all that expensive. For example, I'm seeing some Generals on TireRack for $322 after rebate. Figure it'll be about $450 including shipping and install, possibly less if you shop locally. That's significantly less than what the OP estimated.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The Accord is an economy car.

Stick with it.

Anytime you trade, you're wasting money.

And that's your personal "economy" there.

+1 - 100%

Originally Posted By: Miller88
T-belt is at 7 years / 105K miles. You have two more years before you need to drop $1K on a timing belt change.

Everything else is small.

The Accord is the better deal.

Also it's possible to stretch the interval a little. I have seen original timing belts last 15+ years, so i wouldn't freak out over an 8 year old belt in Ohio.

Same opinion here. You don't drive enough miles to justify the fuel economy saving. And Timing belt can be done A LOT CHEAPER if you know where to buy parts (i.e. aftermarket quality brands like Gates) and ask an independent mechanic to do it. I think the labor is only around $300 and parts maybe $100-150 if you know what you are doing. My Corolla's timing belt is $200 labor and $100 parts usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back