Sell Accord for Economy Car? Your Opinion Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Man that engine bay is clean.

Thanks. I was a pro detailer for 15 years. Now I just detail my cars as a hobby and to keep them in tip top condition. Also friends and family vehicles too when they need help with it.

A co-worker of mine JUST bought herself a brand new Acura ILX.

Her previous car was an 04 TLX? sedan with 150k miles. She bought it new and was afraid of the trans dying (as they are very common on those cars). She maintained it religiously and everything worked fine, but she knew she wanted something newer and was considering an accord.

The salesman sold her on the ILX (an overpriced Civic), with some sort of gimmiky "active noise cancellation" that doesn't work that well as she complains of the noises it makes.

She wishes she had her old car back, even if it needed a new transmission sooner or later. At least she wouldn't be making payments on it

Only thing I would worry about that accord, or any car is keeping the body rust free in the rust belt.

Keep the accord, you will save huge keeping it.

I wouldn't do it.

I could see maybe swapping the car for a different class of car, like a nice RWD sedan, but not for something like a Corolla or a Civic.

Like others have said, you're already driving an economy car. Fact of the matter is, most cars are so well built, reliable, and fuel efficient these days, they're all economy cars.

Some are just a little bigger than others.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Is the Honda 3.5 VCM V6 an interference engine? If the timing belt snaps is the engine toast?
Yes! But you don't have to worry about the engine blowing up because the transmission would give up long before that :) I am only half kidding!

Seriously, the only incident that I am aware of V3.5 timing belt failure was at 300K+ miles on an Odyssey and he was unbelievably lucky that it did not destroy the valve-train. 105K timing belt change interval on the engine is quite conservative.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Maintenance expenses are a part of owning any car and it looks like your major expense will be tire replacement, which should run well under the six to eight bills you've quoted.

Good OEM style tires with factory 16 or 17 inch rims will set you back in the neighborhood of $600-800. Yes there are cheaper alternatives, but quality tires are expensive. I always got 75K miles out of my factory Honda/Acura tires so I always replaced them with OEM Michelin or Bridgestone tires since they ran well and offered good service.

Funny, the Michelins that came OEM on the last Accord that we had with them were awful and were gone by 50K.
The only Bridgetstones we ever had came OEM on a Civic and were nothing special and were also gone by 50K.
There are better tires as well as better buys out there.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
No matter what you drive, it's always cheaper to keep your current ride. In other words, the cheapest car you can own is the one you already have.

Unless it's my Acura, that seems to require at least $2,000-3,000 in repairs every year and I barely even drive it anymore.
mad.gif
At least it's paid off and relatively cheap to insure.

Keep it. There is no reason not to. That Accord is good for 250K easy. You will never gain enough in gas savings to offset the switch, you already have taken the largest part of the depreciation hit, and you will be driving a smaller,less comfortable car.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
No matter what you drive, it's always cheaper to keep your current ride. In other words, the cheapest car you can own is the one you already have.

Unless it's my Acura, that seems to require at least $2,000-3,000 in repairs every year and I barely even drive it anymore.
mad.gif
At least it's paid off and relatively cheap to insure.

The time to buy a "new" car is when annual repairs exceed monthly payments....you pay for reliability and safety with the "upgrade."

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The Accord is an economy car.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Beat me to it.
smile.gif

Sort of. An Accord is more a family car. They make an economy version with LX 4cylinder while the EX-L V6 is a really excellent engine, decent transmission and nicer interior bits etc.

I would stick to your Accord.

You left out a key item for your MPG worries. How many miles driven/year?

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Sort of. An Accord is more a family car. They make an economy version with LX 4cylinder while the EX-L V6 is a really excellent engine, decent transmission and nicer interior bits etc.

I would stick to your Accord.

You left out a key item for your MPG worries. How many miles driven/year?

7,500 annual miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back