Sell Accord for Economy Car? Your Opinion Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep the car.
I was in a situation that required short tripping for a few years, best thing I did was come across this site and a members posts on OEM 0w20 high vi oils. All hail the CATERHAM
grin.gif

The low kv40 of these oils and high vi really comes into play in short trips that do not get the engine up to temp. The majority of regular 0w20 oils have a kv40 of 43+ and vi of 174 at the top end. Oem oils like TGMO, MGMO are in the 35-36 range for kv40 with vi of 216 and 221. Those kv40 numbers will really make a difference in winter startup and short trip mileage gains. Its not like your gas mileage will instantly increase massively, but you will notice a difference that will be measurable. The 2009 Accord has been approved for 0w20 as well.
cheers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Miller88
T-belt is at 7 years / 105K miles. You have two more years before you need to drop $1K on a timing belt change.

Everything else is small.

The Accord is the better deal.

Also it's possible to stretch the interval a little. I have seen original timing belts last 15+ years, so i wouldn't freak out over an 8 year old belt in Ohio.

Friend of mine is at 120K on his 2005 accord. Wonder how long it will go before it snaps?

Although, I have never heard of a J30 snapping a belt - even when run severely over.

My 97' Camry went 16-17 years and 186,000 miles on its original timing belt when I changed it, it didn't look too good but it was still holding!

Keep the car. You don't drive nearly enough miles for gas price to really matter.

A girl at work has a 91 Toyota Camry V6 that just snapped the oem timing belt last month.

Pretty sure that's an interference engine and it needs a rebuild now.

Don't do it. If your car needs $X amount of work I would subtract that amount from what it is worth. So either way you will pay for that maintenance cost in reduced car value.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
A girl at work has a 91 Toyota Camry V6 that just snapped the oem timing belt last month.

Pretty sure that's an interference engine and it needs a rebuild now.
Its not an interference engine. Just need to put a new one on and set the cams and crankshaft back to the timing marks.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
You live about 2.5 miles away from work? Consider selling the car and ride a bicycle to work! Invest the money you'll save and retire a few years earlier.

LOL. I got a very similar comment a few months back when I mentioned I was only 2-3 miles from work... Sell the car and ride a bike to work, they said.
Um, yeah, YOU come ride YOUR bike from my house to my work one morning this coming February when it's -10°F outside, snowing, windy, most of the homeowners haven't woken up to clean snow off the sidewalks yet, and cars are slipping and sliding up and down the street because my residential street gets plowed but not salted. Then ride your bike back to my house at 5:30 PM when it's already dark outside. And the snow is coming down. And it has warmed up to +5°F. Do all this while riding through a couple of very questionable neighborhoods with a $1500 laptop strapped to your back.

While you're doing that, I'll be in my car.

Aaaanyway - OP, keep the Accord - you aren't far enough from work to accumulate any appreciable fuel savings on the commute, and annual maintenance costs should be very, very low if you're putting so few miles on the car per year.

I'm excellent at cost/benefit analysis and can 100% say this: Don't do that trade. Losing prospect. You are just tired of driving your current car (happens) and want something new. Your current car gets decent enough mileage for your current driving habits. Now if you were a commuter and did 50K miles a year, then you would want the more fuel efficient car. Your Accord is a nice, pretty powerful family car. It has more room inside, a bigger trunk and is more comfortable. Not sure why you would want to trade that for the latest econobox turd mobile.

Also, no problem going 225K plus miles in a Honda. I've done it several times. They still run great but I trade them in because I want a new car at that point.

Everyone has already made excellent arguments for keeping the Accord, so I'll be (almost) a contrarian and say: do what you want. You only live once. It sounds like you can afford whatever option you choose, so if you want a newer car that gets better mileage, go for it.

You guys just DON'T understand. OP is not really asking for your opinion. He is seeking affirmation of his pre-made decision.

My advice:- Go for it! It is makes perfect sense.

No car is going to give good fuel economy under your typical use. You won't see 29 mpg out of any of the three alternatives you've listed as you use your car.
Maintenance expenses are a part of owning any car and it looks like your major expense will be tire replacement, which should run well under the six to eight bills you've quoted.
I don't think you'd come out ahead in dollar terms dumping the Accord for one of the cars you've mentioned.
You must take trips now and then as well and the Accord is far more comfortable on a long drive than one of the smaller cars you've mentioned would be.
Finally, should some other driver happen to have his cell phone use interupted by the unexpected presence of your car while you're on one of your short commutes, the Accord will do a better job of protecting you from serious harm then would one of the smaller cars.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You guys just DON'T understand. OP is not really asking for your opinion. He is seeking affirmation of his pre-made decision.

I'd understand if he wanted to trade up to something more fun or more upscale. But wanting to trade down, just newer? I don't get it. But he obviously should just do what he wants, regardless if it makes any sense or not.

OP I recommend you test drive and evaluate the interior of these cars you are interested in.

You have to consider that you will have to live with the replacement car for a few years at least, so will it satisfy your needs compared to the V6 pep, passenger and luggage space and the top of the range interior you have now?

In terms of money, not only are you paying $1k sales tax but you could pay $1k+ for dealer commission.

Your savings in fuel and tires won't offset that. And I doubt if there are any insurance savings if the vehicle value is the same.

I would only change out of a vehicle like your Accord if I wanted fuel economy (eg Prius or Leaf) or something very different (eg convertible, sports, name plate luxury, SUV, pickup). I wouldn't change out for something slightly smaller.

I would keep the Accord running and 5-10 years down the line designate it as my reliable and comfortable beater car that I can leave parked at the airport, take shopping where I know the parking spaces are tight, use for any occasions that require groups of kids being transported, and let my kids learn to drive in and maybe use for college.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
I’m toying with the idea of selling my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 ...

I live less than 5 miles round trip from work, which is majority of my driving. Plus, I commute as much as possible during the summer months on my motorcycle.
Please share your thoughts.

You answered your own question. Keep the car.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Maintenance expenses are a part of owning any car and it looks like your major expense will be tire replacement, which should run well under the six to eight bills you've quoted.

Good OEM style tires with factory 16 or 17 inch rims will set you back in the neighborhood of $600-800. Yes there are cheaper alternatives, but quality tires are expensive. I always got 75K miles out of my factory Honda/Acura tires so I always replaced them with OEM Michelin or Bridgestone tires since they ran well and offered good service.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

I was kinda thinking the same thing. OP seems to have made up his mind and has probably already traded in his perfectly fine, paid off car.

The best part of owning a car, is WHEN IT IS PAID OFF. Run it as long as you possibly can while it is PAID OFF until it cost too much to maintain.

I really appreciate your opinions, everyone.

I have decided to keep the Accord. I looked at the Civic and Corolla today and being in the driver seat really put them into perspective...they are a smaller vehicle. I enjoy the more spacious interior of the Accord. Not to mention all of your input makes sense.

Again, thanks for your two cents.

It is pretty close in terms of economy either way you go, after all an Accord is something of an economy car, too. But I think they are quite different on the highway, like on a longer trip, the Accord would be a much nicer ride.

I think the OP should buy whatever he wants and not worry about the economy that much, but make whatever he has worth it to him in the utility he gets out of it. That said, I would be looking at a small utility maybe even a pickup, because of what I could potentially do with it.

As far as long term operating costs it might be worth looking at a stick with a timing chain rather than auto with timing belt. To get cheaper tires it would be as easy to replace the wheels on the Accord maybe than replace the whole car.

Any car is going to cost quite a bit, with the insurance and registration, depreciation. Fuel and tires are just part of it. You might as well get what you think serves you best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back