Should I sell the Jeep?

It's the desirable one with the 4.0, upgraded tupy head and D44 hard top etc. I would think I could sell it locally for much more.

Private party it'll surely be worth a lot more than $1,300. I'd try eBay or a Jeep forum for something like that.

On a whim, I requested a quote from Vroom for the Jeep and it came in much, much higher than expected. I love the Jeep but barely drive it and have my eyes on a Maverick or 2022 short wheelbase Grand Cherokee. I *think* we can slum it around for a while in the Corolla...

The used car market is nuts. This has more miles than mine, less options and is more than what we paid new for one last November.

The other half seems indifferent since we don't go more than a couple miles from the house. I really wanted to get out of this buy/sell cycle of vehicles...they've been turning over way too fast the last few years...but if we can move up to the new body style JGC why not?
When it comes to Jeeps, the only correct answer is always, yes, sell it.

Very strange, when I got a couple offers from Vroom for my Genesis both times the offer was immediately presented.

It took a full day for them to send me the first offer, I figure they're off tomorrow.

What an incredibly insightful post.
I love Jeeps. I wish I could afford a 4x4 Laredo E with the 3.6 Pentastar, however, prices are crazy at the moment. They are at least $10K~$15K more than they used to be. They are decent vehicles, fairly reliable, and not difficult to work on. If maintained properly, they last a long time.

Keep it. Any monetary benefit will be offset by sales tax and fees on a new vehicle.

I don't really understand the obsession with constantly changing body styles on a very pedestrian common vehicle; it makes sense on something performance related but it's a jeep. It's not a ferrari. Who cares what the body style is??

Hard to answer the vague OP question when no money values are provided. But generally this is sound advice. You might get more for the used vehicle, but you're going to pay more for the new one as well. The rising prices of everything due to a host of reasons.

Rough numbers but the fees on a new vehicle work out to be around 5-10% with taxes, registration, licensing, and such.

At 5% tax, a $30,000 is $1500. 10% is $3000. That's a healthy loss off the top.

Then depreciation. Something like 20% in year 1. On a $30,000 vehicle, you lose $6000 in depreciation in year 1.

So now your transaction fee is somewhere in the $7000 to $9000 range for the swap. What do you gain in the swap? More gizmos on a new untested vehicle platform, and a warranty?

I don't really understand the obsession with constantly changing body styles on a very pedestrian common vehicle; it makes sense on something performance related but it's a jeep. It's not a ferrari. Who cares what the body style is??

Hard to answer the vague OP question when no money values are provided. But generally this is sound advice. You might get more for the used vehicle, but you're going to pay more for the new one as well. The rising prices of everything due to a host of reasons.

Rough numbers but the fees on a new vehicle work out to be around 5-10% with taxes, registration, licensing, and such.

At 5% tax, a $30,000 is $1500. 10% is $3000. That's a healthy loss off the top.

Then depreciation. Something like 20% in year 1. On a $30,000 vehicle, you lose $6000 in depreciation in year 1.

So now your transaction fee is somewhere in the $7000 to $9000 range for the swap. What do you gain in the swap? More gizmos on a new untested vehicle platform, and a warranty?

I believe the new features are:
- Wireless CarPlay
- Wireless charging
- Heads-up Display

Those are the main tech upgrades. But yes, the new platform (which it shares with the Giulia IIRC) is new for the Jeep, whilst the old WK2 platform is extremely mature at this juncture and well sorted.

I believe the new features are:
- Wireless CarPlay
- Wireless charging
- Heads-up Display

Those are the main tech upgrades. But yes, the new platform (which it shares with the Giulia IIRC) is new for the Jeep, whilst the old WK2 platform is extremely mature at this juncture and well sorted.

Yup, and I don't need nor would I pay $100 for all 3 of those features. Have never needed them in my vehicle. That people pay real money for such this is odd IMHO.

I don't see what you guys are seeing in the new Maverick. From a distance, It has junk written all over it.
But I haven't driven one or owned one. 23K tops price though given it's a unitbody FWD Ca-twuk

Now this - in that Gulden's Spicy Brown - on the other hand:
View attachment 69322
or this!
1972-ford-maverick.jpg

The Jeep has appreciated. Vroom is now offering $4500 more than when I started this thread which is now more than I paid for it....AutoNation also has an offer that is more than I paid for it as well.

Sell. I traded my Mazda cx5 for $5k over KBB and got into a rav 4 prime. As stated, this is unprecedented. Take advantage!

It depends right; it’s so easy to sell but the next transaction may leave you with a bitter taste afterwards;

I would not pull the trigger that easily

How are you guys getting these prices? I keep getting low balled. $1300 for my 02 wrangler I bought new!

They aren't in the business of selling old cars. Well, except for jacking up the price of 10 year old Rangers.

Around here a decent 4.0 manual TJ that isn't rusty pretty much starts at $8K, but that's on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Clean ones are often over $10k even with over 150k miles. They get into the $30k+ range on Bring A Trailer, but those usually have extremely low miles.

Keep it. Any monetary benefit will be offset by sales tax and fees on a new vehicle.

You know? I had not even thought about that.

I guess it depends what the value of your trade is and how inflated the price is. I know my lexus gx could be worth about 5-7k more than I bought it for in early 2020, which was $21500 out the door. So in theory i could still profit $3-5k

Not sure that 3k is worth the hassle of not having a spare car though.

Last edited:
Back