Which of these 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family car is a '11 ford escape 2.5, 4 cylinder with 82K miles. I'm religious with 5K oil changes. I've run 5W-20 Super Tech FS, Motorcraft Blend. I don't think I need high mileage yet, nothing is leaking on the car. I also run a motorcraft filters.

So I figure I just want to stay with one type of oil for the duration of the car. In the end its probably all the same but was looking for your opinions of what you would run for oil. ST FS, motorcraft blend, or Pennzoil Platinum ( I know I didn't mention that one but I just used in my truck and it seems like a good one as well.

Also I've heard a blend is better for a higher mileage car- any truth to this?

To add I live in the North East, colder temps etc.

Thanks all - O

Last edited:
Any of the big brand names of oils will work as long as they meet the specs for your vehicle. Chevron, Valvoline, Sopus, Mobil, Castrol etc

Pick one and drive.

Do you think anyone knows the real world difference between the right spec synthetic oils sold at Walmart when used in a stock DD in moderate conditions by a reasonable driver following manufacturer's specified routine maintenance for the life of the vehicle in the hands of the original owner? Does anyone have the time and money to take a shot at figuring it out?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Do you think anyone knows the real world difference between the right spec synthetic oils sold at Walmart when used in a stock DD in moderate conditions by a reasonable driver following manufacturer's specified routine maintenance for the life of the vehicle in the hands of the original owner? Does anyone have the time and money to take a shot at figuring it out?

^ sounds like a vote for super tech.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
For 5k oil changes, ST Syn is fine.

+1 5k is nothing for ST Synthetic - bump up to 6 or 7k and you're still safe if you keep it topped off. MotorCraft blend is not the value it used to be - it needs to at least get under $15 at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: blupupher

+1 5k is nothing for ST Synthetic - bump up to 6 or 7k and you're still safe if you keep it topped off. MotorCraft blend is not the value it used to be - it needs to at least get under $15 at Walmart.

Thanks for your advice . It's true as you mentioned about the motorcraft value. It's now 18 and change at my Walmart and ST FS is 17.97. Just doesn't make sense to buy the motorcraft as the price keeps creeping up.

Originally Posted By: Oilied
Originally Posted By: bigt61
blupupher said:

Thanks for your advice . It's true as you mentioned about the motorcraft value. It's now 18 and change at my Walmart and ST FS is 17.97. Just doesn't make sense to buy the motorcraft as the price keeps creeping up.

The real irony is the Ford dealer will change my Ford trucks with Motorcraft syn blend oil and a Motorcraft filter for $19.99 and with a tire rotation, $29.99. They do charge about $3 extra to make it a 6 quart oil change. We always inspect the oil level and filter before we leave the dealer. It's a bargain for quality oil and filter.

Whimsey

I do 10K OCIs with M1 0-20AFE on both Duratechs with the I4 engines, which are much the same as your 2.5. Outstanding results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I do 10K OCIs with M1 0-20AFE on both Duratechs with the I4 engines, which are much the same as your 2.5. Outstanding results.

O-M-G------will it ever end?

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: tig1

O-M-G------will it ever end?

What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back