When is it safe to move?

The 20W-50 almost instantly gets to the top end of the engine in warm weather. Remove the valve cover and crank the engine and watch.
That would make a hugh mess on a ohc engine. But I did that experiment on my old chrysler 318. I just tool the cap off and remote started it around 35f°. Took maybe 3 seconds to see it pumping through the pushrod. That was with Kendall 20w50. However when I would rev the engine cold it would make a whining noise until it warmed up.

When is it safe to move? I'd say by the time you buckle your seat belt after firing up the engine. As long as there is oil pressure you're "good to go." "Good to go" as in driving easy/normally, vs. beating the snot out of a cold engine. Some people seem to think you can hammer the gas as soon as you turn the key.

I tend to play it safe, after starting I wait until the rpms are in the 1,000+/- range. Then I drive, a little slower than normal. I live in an area where there is very little traffic on the side streets and about a mile from the parkway. I can drive nice and easy and not piss anyone off. Once I get to the parkway there's a nice long acceleration ramp, which allows me to get up to highway speed without having to nail it. Most of the time I couldn't nail it even if I wanted to.

As others have said 30s assuming your climate doesn’t dip down super low. Off topic but do you guys get 20w50 in full synthetic? I live in a similar climate but in the USA and it’s almost impossible to find 20w50 let alone in a full synthetic. Oddly enough Castrol seems to only recommend 20w50 for my engines when I spoof my location to the UAE and select cars from that region with my engines.

As others have said 30s assuming your climate doesn’t dip down super low. Off topic but do you guys get 20w50 in full synthetic? I live in a similar climate but in the USA and it’s almost impossible to find 20w50 let alone in a full synthetic. Oddly enough Castrol seems to only recommend 20w50 for my engines when I spoof my location to the UAE and select cars from that region with my engines.
You should be able to get M1 15W50 which is close.
In Australia you can get Penrite 10-Tenths Racing 15W50 which is 100% PAO and Ester

2067661D-179B-4179-A545-9832B947C8C0.jpeg

You are good to go when your oil light goes out or the oil gauge rises. At that point you have oil through the filter and your engine is being oiled. Keep in mind unless the engine has sat for a long, long time there will be some oil film still on the parts. I wouldn't run the engine very hard for the first 5 minutes but sitting and idling is probably a waste of fuel in your environment.

Just my $0.02

How long does 20w50 oil takes to cover the entire engine parts and it safe to move with least wear in internal engine parts, some say to warm up the car for about 5 minutes some say 2 minutes are more than enough while others say 30 seconds and you are good to go, which part is correct 1.5 mitsubishi lancer carburetor engine
In colder climates, I wonder also about Automatic Trans. I notice that if I allow a warmup of less than 5 minutes on cold mornings, the engine seems fine, but the tranny shifts quite hard into reverse. Warmups of 5 minutes plus and trans is happier.

Back