When is it safe to move?

How long does 20w50 oil takes to cover the entire engine parts and it safe to move with least wear in internal engine parts, some say to warm up the car for about 5 minutes some say 2 minutes are more than enough while others say 30 seconds and you are good to go, which part is correct 1.5 mitsubishi lancer carburetor engine

what temperature outside?
If normal egypt temps.. 30s should be plenty.

If 20w50 below 32f, its not really the best oil choice and I would let it warm up about 1min.
if much below that I'd switch oil grades.

When its -10F or colder here I do warm up 2-3min.. sometimes longer, because driving without defrost heat could be dangerous if the inside of the windows start frosting over.

Reactions: JC1
The 20W-50 almost instantly gets to the top end of the engine in warm weather. Remove the valve cover and crank the engine and watch.

For years and years, I start the engine first thing in the car; then I buckle up, adjust mirrors, etc. Then I drive slowly for the next couple of minutes. At least in my Sienna (with an RPM gauge), driving slowly doesn't put require any more RPMs than warming up, so I don't waste gas sitting in my driveway. I'm not sure there would be any point in staying put any longer than I need to.

what temperature outside?
If normal egypt temps.. 30s should be plenty.

If 20w50 below 32f, its not really the best oil choice and I would let it warm up about 1min.
if much below that I'd switch oil grades.

When its -10F or colder here I do warm up 2-3min.. sometimes longer, because driving without defrost heat could be dangerous if the inside of the windows start frosting over.
It never goes below 9c
What have you been doing all this time?
Wait till temp gauge starts moving but that takes more time in winter
For years and years, I start the engine first thing in the car; then I buckle up, adjust mirrors, etc. Then I drive slowly for the next couple of minutes. At least in my Sienna (with an RPM gauge), driving slowly doesn't put require any more RPMs than warming up, so I don't waste gas sitting in my driveway. I'm not sure there would be any point in staying put any longer than I need to.
So i would just seat belt on dvd player on and start moving slowly as i dont floor it early on

Thanks all for your replies and support as if that question asked in Egypt you would get lots of opinions and extreme ones like warm up for 15 minutes as if i am driving a diesel truck in subzero condition 😂

How long does 20w50 oil takes to cover the entire engine parts and it safe to move with least wear in internal engine parts, some say to warm up the car for about 5 minutes some say 2 minutes are more than enough while others say 30 seconds and you are good to go, which part is correct 1.5 mitsubishi lancer carburetor engine
If you are in Egypt, maybe 30-45 seconds. Start the engine, put on seatbelt check your mirrors etc and then drive off within a minute. What is the coldest temp you experience normally in a calendar year?

There's more to it besides the engine- don't go to the freeway right away, all fluids & metals have to warm up, just drive at a reasonable pace.
20/50 seemas a little heavey, have you tried 15/40 (or less)

BTW oil was discussed here

As per the manual it matches Egypt temperature all year plus the engine is not at 100% health i was gonna try 10w40 but a local engineer convinced me against it
Yes, and as discussed in the other thread, the oil is a Group II & III semi-synthetic that is rated API SN-Plus.
Sounds fine to me given the climate in Egypt

Back