When does a car “age out” for long distance road trips?

Regardless how well you maintain your reliable high mile Toyota or whatever you have, anything is possible.
You can maintain your vehicle all you want, but most people don't swap out a perfectly good radiator, starter, fuel pump or alternator nor should they.

Know how to obtain a mobile mechanic along the path.

I had a 2007 Honda Accord SE with the 2.4. It had 386000 on it and would drive back and forth from Louisville KY to Navarre FL at least 4 times a year.. Never ever had an issue and was still getting 35 MPG.. It also had the original water pump. I did have to replace the belt tensioner once..Thats it besides normal maint.

Regardless how well you maintain your reliable high mile Toyota or whatever you have, anything is possible.
You can maintain your vehicle all you want, but most people don't swap out a perfectly good radiator, starter, fuel pump or alternator nor should they.

But the same is possible for a newer vehicle.

If you spend all your time worried about what might happen, you never get anywhere.

Understand that things happen and have a plan. That's for old or new cars.

This.

I wouldn't hesitate to put the Dadwagon on the road for a lengthy trip whatsoever. Its old, fat and slow (like it's owner) leaks a little oil, but everything works well. Engine runs like an Omega 28.10 RA, but all the typical German plastic bits are a little toasty and could conspire to send that roadtrip sideways at any time. Just gotta be prepared for something like that. Like @skyactiv said, know where to find a mobile mechanic, or be that mobile mechanic.

Whenever its owner decides it is no longer worth it to do preventive maintenance, services and repairs to the vehicle.

When I found a better paying job...

Grandpa died. He lived in Ohio. At the time I had a 1 y/o and 3 y/o, and a 97 Olds Silhouette van I got for $300. It was the dead of August and the AC kinda worked, so I charged the freon before we left and it worked a little better. Also polished the headlight lenses which you may remember were terrible on those U-vans. I forget the mileage but it wasn't much, around 130k maybe. But the thing was rusty.

Off we went on a 1200 mile r/t road trip! Left the highway in CT to find pizza, hit an expansion joint, and the ABS light came on. Kept going.

Somewhere in PA I was getting gas and saw a dingle dangle hanging underneath. It was the defunct compressor for the rear shocks, hanging from a wiring harness. Its bracket had disintegrated from rust. I pulled the greasy thing out and showed my wife, then dumped it in the trash can. I still remember all the fast food wrappers in the can compressing from this heavy object, LOL. (I had already switched to non-air Monroe shocks.)

3 y/o was just barely potty trained and announced he had to go. Put the hammer down for the next exit, van did 80 just fine, and got 27 MPG. Burned no oil nor coolant the entire trip. The headlights still sucked, though.

Got home, did a visual inspection, found the RF wheel bearing had its sensor wiring ripped out. Got a new one from "Detroit Axle" on ebay, fixed the light, sold the van shortly thereafter.

Last edited:
My old cars are just as reliable as my newer cars. But I keep up with all repairs and maintenance and in tune to when problems are creeping up.

I feel like my old cars have proven themselves, and something new a defect can leave you stranded.

I don’t have an age or miles in mind, but I tend to worry about getting parts if something breaks. I owned a VW TDI and started to get concerned about "what if I lose an injector in the middle of nowhere?", or worse, an engine. Yeah overnight shipping and all that, but "good" VW mechanics were not a dime a dozen back then. So I sadly said goodbye at that point (after 11years and 314k).

I do have a CRV right now that I'm trying to drive as little as possible (due to bad cam) but plan to fix that. It's about the only vehicle that I don't want to drive far that I've owned. Less due to possible failure and more due to general dislike of it. It serves a purpose of around town beater, and will stick around for a bit longer.

But the same is possible for a newer vehicle.

If you spend all your time worried about what might happen, you never get anywhere.

Understand that things happen and have a plan. That's for old or new cars.

I'm just as worried about a brand new car as I'm with an old car. After break-in with varying loads any defects should have shown itself though

All about maintenance. I bought a 2001 Cherokee for my son and after performing a substantial amount of maintenance on it, he has driven from CO to VT and back twice with no concerns.

Long distance road worthiness of a car is not directly related to age or mileage, but rather how well the car has been maintained and cared for. My 10 year old E350 is just about to hit 100k miles, and I would have no problem with taking a cross country trip in it. My wife's '13 Outback has 157k miles on it, and it is also ready for a long distance trip.

Both have been well cared for, with all services being done to them. Brake pads and rotors are checked at each service for thickness and evenness of wear. Belts and hoses are inspected and replaced as needed. And so on.

I've seen cars with similar mileage and age that I would never dream of taking on a long distance trip. It is all about maintenance.
Good points but age affects seals,TB,etc in a bad way and no matter how great your maintence is, you just take a chance in an old car

Made 2 trips last year, one round trip from indiana to California, and round trip from indiana to Virginia in my 2008 f150 with 205k on it. Would do it again tomorrow if I had to. She's getting ugly, but 100% trustworthy.

Reliability isn’t simply a matter of age or miles, it’s a matter of condition - how well has the vehicle been maintained, and looked after?

I would take my wife’s 2002 Volvo, with 300,000 miles on it, across the country today, without hesitation.

Might check the tire pressure and fluids before I head out.

But I would rather have that 20+ year old car than a neglected 5 year old car.

Back