When does a car “age out” for long distance road trips?

At what mileage or vehicle age do you no longer trust a car for a long distance drive? As a general rule, realizing that of course there are always outliers and exceptions? We’re planning on taking a 12 hour driving trip in the spring and are trying to decide between a newer car with higher mileage and a lower mileage one that’s several years older.

Long distance road worthiness of a car is not directly related to age or mileage, but rather how well the car has been maintained and cared for. My 10 year old E350 is just about to hit 100k miles, and I would have no problem with taking a cross country trip in it. My wife's '13 Outback has 157k miles on it, and it is also ready for a long distance trip.

Both have been well cared for, with all services being done to them. Brake pads and rotors are checked at each service for thickness and evenness of wear. Belts and hoses are inspected and replaced as needed. And so on.

I've seen cars with similar mileage and age that I would never dream of taking on a long distance trip. It is all about maintenance.

At what mileage or vehicle age do you no longer trust a car for a long distance drive? As a general rule, realizing that of course there are always outliers and exceptions? We’re planning on taking a 12 hour driving trip in the spring and are trying to decide between a newer car with higher mileage and a lower mileage one that’s several years older.
Did last year 2800mls road trip with my Tiguan that at that time had around 100k mls.

Drive what you like, I see heaps from all over the country in AZ all the time that somehow make it here.

Here's my old Camry with 256k miles that I gave my brother last year. LR quarterpanel is crushed in from an accident I had 8 years ago. I wouldn't have any concern driving it anywhere.

Edit: I would absolutely have a concern driving it long distance, too small and uncomfortable of a car for a long trip! 🤣

50600CAC-ECA5-48F3-9BB9-1090FA5DA0C9.jpeg

Last edited:
My dad took a 1200 mile road trip to Utah for a funeral a few months ago. He skipped over the 2010 bmw with transmission problems and took the 02 jetta with 380,000 miles and bald tires. It made it there and back without a single hiccup.

So it depends. Id take the 380k Jetta over anything with a theta II or anything ford.

in OP's situation, I'd rather "invest" the amount I'd pay for a set of cheap tires, on a late model rental car.
It won't matter what goes wrong with it, it's not my problem and a replacement is just a phone call away.

I took an 17 year old/300K mile Honda Accord on a 6000 mile round trip. However, I knew every part of the car and what I had replaced and what the car needed(which it didn't at that time). I knew the under carriage as well as under hood of that car. Had I not known the condition of the car, I would have had my doubts.

When you as a knowledgeable car enthusiast, or a qualified mechanic feels it is unsafe to drive. For my 93 Aerostar is was around 213K miles. The engine and transmission were fine, however the suspension was shot, it had a little body rot, and imo it was not worth fixing. Off to the junkyard she went. Thanks NY roads and road salt. OTOH my 88 E-150, I'd have no problem starting it up and driving her from NY to CA.

I am with @CharBaby. I would take my almost 15 year old 400K mile Xterra anywhere - even far off road. Of course I have owned it since new, its never seen salt, and I could likely fix any small thing that might fail myself. Now I would not feel the same for some beater off the used lot.

Your going to need to scrutinize the maintenance heavily, and go through every known issue with that model, and scrutinize things like fuel trims, etc. However when I handed the above vehicle to my daughter to take just 100 miles away for school where she lives, I spent $2000 on tires, TPMS, and swapping the power steering pump which worked but wined a little. Maintenance means everything. Mileage and age, they mean something, but maintenance means more - IMHO.

Last edited:
I would trust my 198k mile 2007 crv for long road trips. In fact 2-3 years ago around 175k miles we were all packed to go on vacation and the day before the AC went out on it. (A weak spot on this era Honda.)So we rented a car. No AC 8 hour ride with a then 3 and 5 year old to Myrtle Beach in August didn’t sound like fun. But other than that it’s an anvil.

I’d say if you know the history of the vehicle and are current on the maintenance, mileage doesn’t matter as much. Check fluids, tire age and pressures and go for it. I know there is no evidence to back this up, but if my car can make 10 trips around town or to work with starts and stops potholes etc… one longer drive should theoretically be easier on equipment.

Back