What's your favorite oil? And why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/quote]
When I was a kid the oil came in cans. The gas stations had that filler thing that would punch a hole in the can and have a spout to pour the oil. But when done, the pulled it out and left it to get dirty. I would have put it in a zip lock bag but I do not think my Dad had a pouring spout. [/quote]

We did a lot of work on cars and vans in our driveway when my dad was around. We had a few spouts. Eventually we found (Not sure where) a little can opener spout with a screw on cap. It only kept dirt out, If the can fell over, it would leak at the puncture point on the can.
I remember when we finally got the yellow rubber coated commercial quality spout. It wouldn't bend like the cheapies... Oh Boy what a day that was!

Sorry, getting nostalgic and a little off topic.

Last edited:
I'll be the weird-o who says MAG 1! It's solid stuff, Price is good, the company has 90 years experience making motor oil.

Whatever FMX is, it works. It's supposed to keep the Zinc and Phosporous strong in the oil... All our Mag 1 running cars show excellent compression numbers at 100K-150K miles... I really want to check in at 200K WHEN I get there... it's not an If. the salted roads here will lead to rust death long before the engine and trans are ready be retired.

Valvoline White Bottle: Because it works very well. I have used more VWB than any other oil on the market.
QSGB: A close, very close, second.
Amsoil OE: Best syn for my apps.
QSUD: Good synth oil at a good price and easy to find.

Prefer Valvoline, lately used Valvoline Next Gen and Maxlife Next Gen because of rebates. Also used Peak with no issues.

Not a big fan of Mobil 1 I have tried most all of their oils but even the 0W40 turns darker quicker than my favorite Pennzoil Platinum or the Pennzoil Ultra. Engine is very clean easily driven and after 3,000 miles the Mobil will start to turn dark where the Pennzoil stays clearer longer.

Dino... Chevron supreme / Havoline DS
Synthetic...Chevron Supreme Synthetic/havoline Synthetic
Blend...Right Now Valvoline Nextgen Maxlife

HDEO....Chevron Delo 400

but I will try just about anything!!!

I am an opportunist when buying oil, which means favoritism gets back burnered. Now in my cars, boats and bikes I am running Pentosin, LubroMoly, Elf, Motul, Delvac, Chevron, BRP (Castrol), Drag Specialties.

I suppose if it could find deal on Motul 300V I'd run it in everything. Race oil that can handle heat and has a streetable TBN. And it's fluorescent green!

Pennzoil YB - Low cost, great VOAs/high moly and keeps my Hemi quiet.

Pennzoil Ultra - Great cleaning additives, longer OCI for my Corolla, runs quieter than M1.

Mobil 0w40 - Quieter/easier engine starts, stable at high oil temps, good value for the money.

All of these oils are Walmart cheap!

I tried both Amsoil and Royal Purple in my Audi but preferred the lower cost of M1 and the on-the-shelf availability.

Last edited:
Lately it's been Valvoline and motorcraft. Motorcraft is a great blend with lots of boron and moly. Not sure why i've been drawn to Valvoline lately. It shows great UOA's so guess it can't hurt to use it.

For my VW TDI, M1 0W-40. For anything else, any brand of 15W-40 is my favorite. The M1 is a stout oil, and the TDI engine has a small sump. I run 15W-40 in virtually everything else with a 4-stroke engine.

I've had the best luck with Valvoline products. My Hyundai seems to purr better on Quaker State except during the cold winter months - I may need to find a different oil during the winter for it so it's not making any noises. Mobil Super runs even rougher yet but has better horsepower.

My Prius runs really smooth on Valvoline, and I have Next Gen in there now. The previous fills of QS and Pennzoil didn't run quite as smooth as Valvoline has. Feels like I'm a rip glider.

Originally Posted By: Gator
Not a big fan of Mobil 1 I have tried most all of their oils but even the 0W40 turns darker quicker than my favorite Pennzoil Platinum or the Pennzoil Ultra. Engine is very clean easily driven and after 3,000 miles the Mobil will start to turn dark where the Pennzoil stays clearer longer.

WAIT

Everyone I know that is experienced working on autos and from what I've read said this is a GOOD thing.
Dark oil means it's cleaning.

Turning dark = oil is performing

Thank you confirming my vestment in M1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80

Turning dark = oil is performing

Thank you confirming my vestment in M1 0w40.

MaxiGuard must be awesome then SynLube gets coal black FAST!....I better switch to that!
banana2.gif

Of course I'm joking, but it's hard to go on color alone. We would need a chemical test to see that suspended dirt is the cause of the color change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back