What's your favorite oil? And why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dino: Mobil Super 5000
Syn: Pennzoil Ultra

Ask me next month and I'm 75% sure at least one of them will change
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
When I was a kid and started driving in 1994 I bought Mobil oil because the bottles looked good, and it seemed very Americana for some reason. Ived used mostly Mobil products ever since.

When I was a kid the oil came in cans. The gas stations had that filler thing that would punch a hole in the can and have a spout to pour the oil. But when done, the pulled it out and left it to get dirty. I would have put it in a zip lock bag but I do not think my Dad had a pouring spout.

Originally Posted By: lewdwig
What's on sale until my kids graduate from college.

If your kids are girls, remember a son is a son until he takes a wife, but a daughter is a daughter for life.

I have 2 daughters, no sons.

Mobil 1 0W40
because my VQ35 likes to burn oil
it's synthetic
I like to go 7500+ oci
below 0F winters
above 100F summers
even though I drive easy until warm, feel better if in a hurry and just take off
sometimes I redline
the many UOAs I've seen with it
many opinions and statements about it having solid ingredients
the specs compared to other viscosity and brands
Mobil 1's propaganda, history, and reputation
can get it +/-$5 per quart on sale

Schaeffer Oil 9000 for me.

The company and sales people seem to be very straight forward in answering questions and posting information. Works great.
thumbsup2.gif

Kendall GT-1 5W20 synthetic Blend w/titanium at $3.70/quart FOB local distributor (PDX) for 5K/semi-annual OCIs in my stable of Fords (2010 Fusion & 2007 F-150) & 2012 Hyundai Veloster.

Previously a long-time user of Motorcraft syn blend. Switched to Kendall GF-5/SN when reformulated with loads of moly, boron, titanium, and 75% better wear control in Sequence IIIG & 85% better performance in Sequence IVA engine tests vis-a-vis earlier formulations.

As a midwest resident, used Kendall products for many decades when they were independent. Now, under the corporate ConocoPhillips umbrella, I like what I see in new reformulations that appear to be similar but improved Motorcraft/Honda oils.

Maxlife. Either green or red bottle. Very quiet in my van, and has slowed consumption. But Defy's on deck, and then Castrol HM. We'll see.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I started out with favorites, now im a big fan of whatever i can find a sale on when im shopping..

This. Over the past 10+ years, I've used about a dozen or so oils and all have done their jobs well and resulted in excellent UOAs.

So currently, I'll use any quality oil that I can find on sale.

Formula Shell. Has served me well in various vehicles. It's able to do 7000 mile OCI's with no issue and is cheap at Costco.

Having said that, if Costco sold something else and it was as cheap, it would probably be my favourite.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Kendall Full Synthetic w/Titanium because I like operating in the fringes.....

Plus it makes my engines quieter.

Wonder if titanium in oil has anything to do with noise reduction.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: lewdwig
What's on sale until my kids graduate from college.

If your kids are girls, remember a son is a son until he takes a wife, but a daughter is a daughter for life.

I have 2 daughters, no sons.

I'm hoping it works that way with my two sons.
We have no daughters.

It depends upon the application.
I'm really liking Maxlife 10W-40 in the old BMW, while the other cars seem to be doing well with what's in them.
I'll UOA this run of Synpower in the Forester just for grins.
I've probably used more PP than anything else over the past 5-6 years, and have always found it satisfactory.
I posted two really clean Polaris UOAs of PP, one from the older Accord and one from the Impreza.
A good oil that I really loaded up on with MIR, BOGO and clearance deals.
If I had to name one favorite, it would be PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back