What's the best way to store synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Save your money on building a stash. Take it and put it in an interest bearing account. Then only buy oil when you need it. Enough interest earned over time will pay for the oil.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: JakeR22
In a temperature controlled vacuum.

How can you control the temperature in a vacuum?

It's possible. You just can't use air convection.

Garage will be fine, as suggested minimize large temp swings, but if well sealed not a huge problem.

I just bought six 5 QT jugs of PP at Walmart for the $15 rebate deal. I will store them in the garage....turn them once a month....maybe use a heating blanket over the winter months.

Just kidding...I plan on using them within a few years.....for $1/QT....just had to stock up.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I think it's best to store the oil in a somewhat regulated area temperature wise. Just be sure to give the bottles a good shake before pouring them in your engine.

I will. I know what you mean about settling. I've seen Castrol GTX that I had for a few years or more with stuff on the bottom. I don't think I'd dare to store them upside down for fear of getting a leak and having oil all over my closet floor. :)

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Anywhere you want to as long as the bottles haven't been opened.

How will the bottles being opened affect the oil? Does the outside air getting in damage it? If you buy a gallon jug of an oil and don't use it all, how long will the remaining oil in the jug stay viable?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: JakeR22
In a temperature controlled vacuum.

How can you control the temperature in a vacuum?

It's possible. You just can't use air convection.

Garage will be fine, as suggested minimize large temp swings, but if well sealed not a huge problem.

Maybe through infrared light, or some other form of radiation.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Mine are proudly displayed in the dining room hutch, who really uses china anyway? and I have made a special cabinet in the living room next to the fireplace for overflow.

actually, I like to gently shake my bottles once a week to ensure that the additives are dispersed and do not precipitate. I also dust off the bottles and am considering using a spray wax on them to keep them looking new.

Wow!

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Save your money on building a stash. Take it and put it in an interest bearing account. Then only buy oil when you need it. Enough interest earned over time will pay for the oil.

Current after rebate price of PP is about $1/qt, regular price at WM is about $4/qt. Which investment do you make 300% profit in 2-3 years ?

I can't believe people are actually worried about temperature variations. What's the operating temp of most engines? How about when the car sits outside when it's -15º? lol.

BTW, I store my oil in a climate controlled cleanroom. It's similar to a facility where microprocessors are manufactured. You have to put on a special suit before entering the room. Security is pretty tight, too. You must wear your badge.

And what's the interest rate in this "interest bearing account"?
Let me guess; 0 to 1%! Now that sounds like a plan!

I have 121 quarts of synthetic oil stashed. Average cost per quart is very low (under $2.42 per quart) since it's nearly all sale, rebate or clearance purchases.

The amount saved over purchasing oil at regular price (around $4 per quart in 5 quart jugs) when it is needed is pretty significant.

The amount of money saved in the long run will be more than any current CD or checking account would have earned. Even after 5 years.

I never understood this logic and how does it apply to consumables? I can say the same thing about food, why buy a whole fridge for a week and cook for yourself, just invest the money and eat as you need in fast food places
54.gif

Anyway, I do see the logic and savings in having a stash, but I never had more than 5 jugs (5gal), I know that most of you guys don't even concider 5 gal a stash lol, but I have to factor in the "wife factor".

Has anyone proven that the remains at the bottom are actually additives? I've used GTX Drivehard 10W40 from 2002 in my Jeep with great UOA (i.e. normal) numbers. I always shake 'em up anyway, but to me, the bottom "additives" look more like separated dye that is used to give oil it's color.

An interesting test would be to buy two bottles from the same batch, do a VOA on one and then wait ten years and test the other. I don't think there would be much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back