What's the best way to store synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 10 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 and am getting another one on sale. I only change my car oil once a year and put 4k +/- miles a year on my car, so how can I make this 15 qts of PP last 4 or 5 years? Some of the jugs will stay sealed until I have to open them.

Where is the best place to store this stuff? Cellar? Garage?
TIA.

They would store fine in a garage for that amount of time.

Ideally, you want the least amount of temperature extremes and a inside closet would be great if you had the space.

Many people have found 10-20 year old stashes in garages that are still fine so long as the API spec is still in affect for the vehicle you own.

No one here cuddles with their stash?
48.gif

Originally Posted By: Lurch
I have 10 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 and am getting another one on sale. I only change my car oil once a year and put 4k +/- miles a year on my car, so how can I make this 15 qts of PP last 4 or 5 years? Some of the jugs will stay sealed until I have to open them.

Where is the best place to store this stuff? Cellar? Garage?
TIA.

At my house!
25.gif

John

^
Don't know if they still use cork.

The additives may settle over time.
IMO its best to shake the bottle a day before using it.
Let the air bubbles disolve (??.. anyway: let them be gone) before using it.

I don't know where I picked up this thought: store it upside down so the additives settle in the cap, when you're ready to use it, put is downside up and the additives will be on top ready to go in.

Mine are proudly displayed in the dining room hutch, who really uses china anyway? and I have made a special cabinet in the living room next to the fireplace for overflow.

actually, I like to gently shake my bottles once a week to ensure that the additives are dispersed and do not precipitate. I also dust off the bottles and am considering using a spray wax on them to keep them looking new.

Store them upside down so that any additive fallout is in the top of the bottle. Once you flip the bottle over the additives will settle in the oil.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Anywhere you want to as long as the bottles haven;t been opened. How's Uncle Fester and Morticia?

You rang? Oh, they're OK. :)

Thanks for the replies.

I'll keep it in a closet. The garage gets quite hot with the sun on the metal roof in Summer, and it gets cold in the Winter. :)

I knew I could count on this site for info on this. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Mine are proudly displayed in the dining room hutch, who really uses china anyway? and I have made a special cabinet in the living room next to the fireplace for overflow.

Does yours have the "dust lamp" to keep it tidy while on display?

I think it's best to store the oil in a somewhat regulated area temperature wise. Just be sure to give the bottles a good shake before pouring them in your engine.

Originally Posted By: yeti
in a wine rack.
fred -- these responses ARE highly technical information.

+1

But seriously, as you've gathered it's no big deal. Having said that the basement is best and it doesn't matter if the bottles have been opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back