What to do if being wrongly sued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone so my wife is being sued by a dog kennel that we have never been to and she did try to call them and tell them and at first they acknowledged that they must have the wrong person and since then they have completely ghosted her. We are going to talk to an attorney but I figured maybe I can get some free advice here. I really hate to hire a lawyer because the amount they're suing for is only $1,100 just hiring a lawyer could easily cost that. But it is insane she's never been there we don't know exactly the date because they won't tell us all they would tell us is that somebody boarded a boxer and paid extra to let him watch TV in his kennel. We don't know the date it happened we don't know a time all we know is a location and the type of dog as mentioned. I really don't even know how to go about fighting that. There must be a way to gather this information from them correct? Like where they have to tell us at least the day it happened and all of that? Don't they have to have proof? Like an address on file for the customer or something? I've never used a dog kennel but I can't imagine having to give a whole lot of personal information besides maybe an ID and an address. What would you guys do in this crazy situation? Just looking for thoughts and ideas. It's all kind of surreal in a weird sense.

IBTL

If your account is true- do absolutely nothing. The burden is on them, not you.

Contrary to whatever words, until you are served and there is a legitimate docket number and date, you aren't even being sued (many small places bluff this)

If your story is true and you do get served, file a countersuit for damages and show up and win

This forum is not for legal advice or discussions though, and these sort of threads get closed pretty often.

My dad is a retired attorney.
Sounds like a scam and I wouldn't hire an attorney for a small claims court matter myself.
Check with the court if she gets a summons to make sure it's legit.

You need to find a lawyer licensed in your state for advice Often they provide a free consultation or online in a legal forum, it defaults to free.

However others have it right, you don't need to do anything, except that if you are served and it goes to court, absolutely go to court or you'll get a default judgement against you which is not easily reversed without strong cause.

Hey everyone so my wife is being sued by a dog kennel that we have never been to and she did try to call them and tell them and at first they acknowledged that they must have the wrong person and since then they have completely ghosted her. We are going to talk to an attorney but I figured maybe I can get some free advice here. I really hate to hire a lawyer because the amount they're suing for is only $1,100 just hiring a lawyer could easily cost that. But it is insane she's never been there we don't know exactly the date because they won't tell us all they would tell us is that somebody boarded a boxer and paid extra to let him watch TV in his kennel. We don't know the date it happened we don't know a time all we know is a location and the type of dog as mentioned. I really don't even know how to go about fighting that. There must be a way to gather this information from them correct? Like where they have to tell us at least the day it happened and all of that? Don't they have to have proof? Like an address on file for the customer or something? I've never used a dog kennel but I can't imagine having to give a whole lot of personal information besides maybe an ID and an address. What would you guys do in this crazy situation? Just looking for thoughts and ideas. It's all kind of surreal in a weird sense.
likely a scam ! by threatening with a law suit they are hoping you will pay, probably done to numerous people . i would ignore them they will go away they do not want to see the inside of a court room.

Yeah, I'm not sure why this place has a policy against legal advice, all OP has to do is google it and you'll see that you're supposed to file a motion to dismiss the case. At the motion you tell the judge that it's the wrong person. If you lose then you end up in court and need a lawyer. If the judge dismisses it, then you're done. Most websites have the usual disclaimers, I'm not a lawyer and I'm not your lawyer. This legal advice is worth what you paid for it.

I'm still amazed at all the stuff that happens to the OP.

Legal advice, medical advice, both areas well outside the purview of a forum focused on oil. Because legal, and medical, advice can have life changing impacts on our forum members, it’s really not in anyone’s best interest to continue the discussion.

ram_man - it sounds very much to me like your wife was threatened with a suit by the kennel.

It’s not the same as being sued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back