How to make a Bobcat leave?

Bobcats are a protected species here in NH and have been for more than 30 years. There is no hunting or trapping season for bobcats. Game wardens here are considered constables statewide so their jurisdiction is universal. I took the hunter safety course a few years and part of it was taught by the local came warden. The topic came up. Being on own property is not license and is no excuse to shoot, harrass, relocate or even scare away bobcats.
So he's just supposed to let it destroy his chicken population?

The OP doesn't live in New Hampshire . He lives in California and there is a hunting season for Bobcat . No trapping allowed .

Do you have an outdoor dog? We have Maremma's (Italian sheep/mountain dog) that keep the bears, coyotes, foxes, racoons, skunks, even hawks away, also I guess they work on people too but you can kind of choose how friendly they will be with people with training, and they are very good with kids. Anyways. they bark alot at predators, and then the predators stay away to find easier meals. Ours have only ever killed racoons and most of the time we keep them inside the electric fence as I don't mind having predators around as long as they stay away. Our dogs don't seem to like heat as they have curlier hair and a thicker coat, but the straight hair versions would be better. https://www.forloveoflivestock.com/blog/livestock-guardian-dogs-for-hot-climates
They don't eat that much unless they are busy, and ours seem to be functional from 2 to about 10 or 11 years old. Our oldest is now 14! and he was around 130-140lbs in his prime so they are long lived for a big breed.

What I do with stray cats is just run at them, do this for a couple nights and they MIGHT not come back, it is preferred to do this at different times.

So he's just supposed to let it destroy his chicken population?
Well that’s the sort of retort I half expected coming from this place, so I will spell it out for you. He’s required to follow the laws of his own state no matter where he lives. To state the obvious. Whatever regulations there are about depradation of livestock in California, that might offer a legal option to harm bobcats that’s what he has to follow, nothing less. Otherwise it is poaching. He already said he has no plans to kill it though. The best remedy is to secure his chicken coops. So even if you pursued the latter option before any permits get handed out, the state game warden is likely going to do come around to do property inspection first, and first thing they will say is you need to put up better fencing.

The OP doesn't live in New Hampshire . He lives in California and there is a hunting season for Bobcat . No trapping allowed .

Legal Status​

Bobcats are a native California species (classified as nongame) and as of January 1, 2020 may no longer be hunted in California. Effective 2015 bobcat can no longer be trapped for their fur in California. Bobcats that are harassing or killing pets and livestock, may be killed by the landowner or agent under the authority of a depredation permit. The killing of a bobcat in defense of property or self defense, or defense of another should be reasonable and justified. A person taking such action must have reasonable belief that the bobcat poses a threat of serious physical harm, that this harm is imminent, and the action is the only reasonable available means to prevent that harm.

The bobcats around here must have read the new regulation that became effective on 01/01/2020. I have seen them in broad daylight, like between the hours of 9AM and noon crossing the highway and even walking right up my street like they owned it. That is really surprising for an animal that does a lot if not most of his hunting at night.

A neighbor spotted a mountain lion on her Ring camera just a few weeks ago and another neighbor just a few miles from me picked up a bear on her security camera one night. Coyotes are also rampant and unafraid of man.

The obvious solution is to better reinforce the chicken coop. Where there is one bobcat, there are others. He won't go away until he knows the easy meals are no longer available. People here know to keep their small animals inside, and many who walk their dogs carry pepper spray, a walking staff and concealed handguns in case the coyotes need an attitude adjustment. It's a residential area so no discharging of firearms is permitted, but I doubt my neighbors will call the Sheriff if a coyote gets dispatched.

Well that’s the sort of retort I half expected coming from this place, so I will spell it out for you. He’s required to follow the laws of his own state no matter where he lives. To state the obvious. Whatever regulations there are about depradation of livestock in California, that might offer a legal option to harm bobcats that’s what he has to follow, nothing less. Otherwise it is poaching. He already said he has no plans to kill it though. The best remedy is to secure his chicken coops. So even if you pursued the latter option before any permits get handed out, the state game warden is likely going to do come around to do property inspection first, and first thing they will say is you need to put up better fencing.
Sorry, but if I was in the OP's shoes, I would not let my chickens be totally destroyed while wading through red tape. I'd shoot the cat...

Sorry, but if I was in the OP's shoes, I would not let my chickens be totally destroyed while wading through red tape. I'd shoot the cat...

Wouldn't it make more sense to find a way to keep the chickens safe from predators? This cat isn't the only animal in the wild.

Let me get this right. The cat is reaching through the fence and grabbing chickens and then pulling them through the fence to eat? You got some stupid chickens if they are getting so close to that fence. :oops: When I had chickens they were always kept well away from the outer fence, exactly for that reason. Maybe a remodel?

Let me get this right. The cat is reaching through the fence and grabbing chickens and then pulling them through the fence to eat? You got some stupid chickens if they are getting so close to that fence. :oops: When I had chickens they were always kept well away from the outer fence, exactly for that reason. Maybe a remodel?
Ya they run along the fence instead of towards the center of the coop.

Chickens don't see all that well at night either. I guess eventually they will learn to stay away from the edge of the cage but it will take a few lessons first... Racoons will pull chucks of chicken through cages as well, must be a bad way to go...

Back