what oil for very-low mileage car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, I have a 2007 BMW 328 that is driven only 3500 miles per year. 1/3 are city miles but the city miles are very short trips (under 2 miles). It's always driven between 50F and 90F.

what oil and change interval do you recommend? I plan to keep the car another 3 years. Seems like waste to put expensive LL-01 oil in it then dump it after a few thousand miles, so I was thinking of going with a syn blend or Supertech synthetic, then change every 15 months.

The car currently has BMW LL01 oil in it

An extended service life is not the only attribute that BMW was concerned with when specifying LL-01. Wear protection, deposit build-up and cold flow were likely to have been considerations as well.

The cost difference between using the incorrect oil and the correct oil in this application is likely to be less than the cost of a single fill-up.

If maintenance costs on this car seem to too high to you, then perhaps you should sell it sooner rather than later. However, many of the newer cars on the market are now requiring similarly priced synthetic oil, so you may be stuck with "expensive oil" wherever you go.
56.gif

Personally i wouldnt run same oil for a year..based on ur situation i would either
a) put in syn and change it every 12 months
b) put in conventional and change every 6 months

im sure you can get away with what you plan on doing. you can always try the 15 months on same oil and do a uoa. id be curious to see it.

In my opinion you should use a good quality lube and change it out once a year. M1 0w40 is not expensive when on sale (this month at AAP). As the guy above me said get some good walking shoes...lol or cover yourself for the possible fuel dilution and degradation of the oil because it is never fully warmed up. Take it on a highway run every month at least to get it heated up and burn off any excessive fuel. I would also treat the gas tank with Techron or Redline Si-1.

Just what I personally would do. What is a $40 oil change using quality oil over 12-15 months? Peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Personally i wouldnt run same oil for a year..based on ur situation i would either

im sure you can get away with what you plan on doing. you can always try the 15 months on same oil and do a uoa. id be curious to see it.

The OEM calls for an oil service annually. The onboard computer actually defaults to two years when reset. So, no, he has nothing to worry about it with running the correct oil for a full year. And why anyone who think they know better than the OEM in this application is just beyond me.

7 qt of Mobil 1 0w40 and a high-quality filter costs around $70. Skip one dinner out a month and use the proper oil.

You own a BMW! take it out for a ride at least once a month (make sometime, you own a beamer), these cars are godsend for passionate drivers! allowing the engine to reach its optimum operating temperature will do away with issues such as fuel dilution and so much more... quite frankly, it should be FUN and fulfilling!

It doesn't make sense to save a few bucks on oil, especailly when your mileage would allow a once per year oci. How much are you going to save with super tech, $30? I would echo the recommendation to use M1 0W40 (around $6.50 per qt at Wally World) and change every 12 months. Use a good filter too. You have a nice car, don't scrimp on maintenance.

7 quarts is a lot of oil. Use any synthetic in the recommended grade and change it every 2 years. Just check your oil level every few months.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
7 quarts is a lot of oil. Use any synthetic in the recommended grade and change it every 2 years. Just check your oil level every few months.
Your M1 5w30 ILSAC GF5 in your sig is not synthetic. Motul Xmax BMWLL01.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
You can get jugs of Mobil 1 0w-40 at walmart for $25, cant beat that. Change it once a year.

+1

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

The OEM calls for an oil service annually. The onboard computer actually defaults to two years when reset. So, no, he has nothing to worry about it with running the correct oil for a full year. And why anyone who think they know better than the OEM in this application is just beyond me.

7 qt of Mobil 1 0w40 and a high-quality filter costs around $70. Skip one dinner out a month and use the proper oil.

I didnt know they called for once a year service. I agree with you and most others. Get the mobil and change it once a year.

i would sell the car personally. not driving it much doesnt in combination with that vintage isnt rare at all and wont be much of a collecters item.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i would sell the car personally. not driving it much doesnt in combination with that vintage isnt rare at all and wont be much of a collecters item.
A perfect application for a battery car.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Oh really, new Mobil 1 is not synthetic? For Mobil's sake, I hope some class action lawyers don't see this thread.

Oh really, new Mobil 1 is not synthetic? For Mobil's sake, I hope some class action lawyers don't see this thread.
You be right about that, but how do you prove damages? And yes your M1 5w30 is not synthetic.

Last edited:

M1 5w-30 ILSAC GF5 is not a true synthetic based on Euro standards. Here in the US, it is considered synthetic. But over seas it is not.

OP - Since you're in California chances are there's a Wally World close to you. They now sell the 0w-40 in 5qt jugs, $24.76 all day every day. At $4.95 a quart, trying to go for something else will get you the "wrong" oil and cost you more at the same time.

Walmart Mobil 1 by cvx5832, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back