Oil for 2019 Prius commuter car

Status
Not open for further replies.
You raise valid points. My reservation in running 20 weight is the fact many of these guys who have worked on these for years in a dealer are saying 0w-16 is the only option long term. Again I’ve built engines, never messed with ultra low viscosity hybrid engines, so sticking with what the manufacturer recommends seemed like a solid plan. Really doubt anything could be gained wear wise with a 20 weight anyhow, so prob doesn’t matter in the end. I’ll use the 0w-16 I have on hand.
You’d get more wear protection with a 30-grade.

As the owner of a 4th gen Prius Prime. That uses the same 2ZR-FXE as yours. It was speced 0w-20 and they back specced it to 0w-16. I can assure you it runs much happier on the 20 weight. My dealership messed up and put 16 by mistake. I knew right away it was much louder. Changed that stuff right away.
Maybe after this 0w-16 I’ll experiment with 0w-20. Car is way outside warranty so no issue there. Thanks for your input 👍🏻

My owners manual says 0W16 is recommended, and if not available, 0W20 may be used but must be replaced with 0W16 at the next oil change.
Ok. Fine. But lets play a game…

You use PP 0W16 @100cSt 7.1 but periodically use PUP 0W20 @100cSt 8.8 cause you cannot fine 16…

So you have gone from 7.1 to 8.8 periodically and Toyota says that fine. You have gone back and forth from J300 16 to 20 a few time… Warranty and engine are fine. Not a big deal right…?

But then there is me… I use M1 ESP 0W20 which @100cSt 7.9 but also not a 16… Now technically never left the J300 16 range but was using a 0W20 the whole time….

1701050968168.jpeg

So who is wrong? The answer is neither cause the engine will handle both. You’re good bro.

Yeah, but, what does Toyota gain with their "CAFE Award Letter" on a hybrid? A Jagillion dollars or a quantillion dollars? If they recommended 5W-30, that would also be CAFE...
Pleasing CAFE standards keeps Toyota from having to pay huge fines to environmental agencies and the govt. 45MPG vs 45.1MPG saves millions of dollars to Toyota as a company once every Prius ever made is plugged into the equation. So screw the customer: make them pay for more expensive thinner oil that will jeopardize the long term reliability of the engine. Let the customer deal with oil consumption issues that WILL come after the warranty period is over.
And by more expensive oil I mean - a cheapest oil change on 5w30 will always cost less than a cheapest oil change on 0W16.

If you read Toyota's verbiage for their 0w8 cars they write that you can use 0w16 in a pinch. Back in the day, their 5w20 cars could take 5w30. I have two prii, a 19 and a 21, and feed them Wally World 0w20 over 5k intervals.

The manuals state you can go up a grade, but cut your OCI down to 5k. The car demands service at 5k anyway, but it would otherwise only be a tire rotation.

If you wish to believe that profit is greater than their CAFE award then you can do so.

A CAFE award might be a profit as well but it seems no one can actually tell us how it works and it all seems equally speculative and nonsensical as "sensing oil pumps and circuit training" or whatever....

Pleasing CAFE standards keeps Toyota from having to pay huge fines to environmental agencies and the govt. 45MPG vs 45.1MPG saves millions of dollars to Toyota as a company once every Prius ever made is plugged into the equation.

As opposed to what other manufacturers? Dodge? LOL

that-thing-gotta-hemi.jpg

Pleasing CAFE standards keeps Toyota from having to pay huge fines to environmental agencies and the govt. 45MPG vs 45.1MPG saves millions of dollars to Toyota as a company once every Prius ever made is plugged into the equation. So screw the customer: make them pay for more expensive thinner oil that will jeopardize the long term reliability of the engine. Let the customer deal with oil consumption issues that WILL come after the warranty period is over.
And by more expensive oil I mean - a cheapest oil change on 5w30 will always cost less than a cheapest oil change on 0W16.
Yes this is the other side of the CAFE coin.

I just really find it very hard to believe Toyota executives way awake at night worrying about their CAFE credits when the largest class of vehicles selling in the US are pickup trucks...

Complete nonsense. Toyota is near the top in corporate fuel economy averages. Amazing how the others don't seem to care. Again, proof please...

A CAFE award might be a profit as well but it seems no one can actually tell us how it works and it all seems equally speculative and nonsensical as "sensing oil pumps and circuit training" or whatever....
The NTSB administers CAFE for the DOT. There is lots of information online as to how it works as well as award letters, both here on Bitog and elsewhere. You can continue to post questions that display ignorance, or you can look into it and learn exactly what it means.

Dodge is the only one that thankfully still recommends 0W40 in some of their vehicles. Now if only they can learn how to make a proper camshaft that doesn't get eaten away in their Pentastars and HEMIs....

Okay, so you admit that the whole CAFE thing is way misrepresented and overdone here. Gottcha...

The NTSB administers CAFE for the DOT. There is lots of information online as to how it works as well as award letters, both here on Bitog and elsewhere. You can continue to post questions that display ignorance, or you can look into it and learn exactly what it means.

I recall some Ford memo, dated like 1999 or something. But sure, any links to official sites might be helpful...

I just really find it very hard to believe Toyota executives way awake at night worrying about their CAFE credits when the largest class of vehicles selling in the US are pickup trucks...
It is the number one driver for engine and aerodynamic design. Nearly everything an automaker does in those areas is related to CAFE, and we are all paying for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back