what oil for very-low mileage car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
7 quarts is a lot of oil. Use any synthetic in the recommended grade and change it every 2 years. Just check your oil level every few months.
Your M1 5w30 ILSAC GF5 in your sig is not synthetic. Motul Xmax BMWLL01.

Oh really, new Mobil 1 is not synthetic? For Mobil's sake, I hope some class action lawyers don't see this thread.

M1 5w-30 ILSAC GF5 is not a true synthetic based on Euro standards. Here in the US, it is considered synthetic. But over seas it is not.

Is there a M-1 product that is a synthetic per German standards? Like it matters Arco knows better he is just stirring the pot.

To the OP given the miles driven if in a pinch you can use HDEO 10W30 and it will protect your engine just fine.

7 quarts is a lot of oil. Use any synthetic in the recommended grade and change it every 2 years. Just check your oil level every few months.
Your M1 5w30 ILSAC GF5 in your sig is not synthetic. Motul Xmax BMWLL01.

Oh really, new Mobil 1 is not synthetic? For Mobil's sake, I hope some class action lawyers don't see this thread.
You be right about that, but how do you prove damages? And yes your M1 5w30 is not synthetic.

Since this is the internet, and everything on the internet is true(it's a law it has to be true)then your continued statements on the internet that M1 oils are not synthetic, must be true, right?

Last edited:
Its a simple question with a simple answer. Is Mobil 1 still fully synthetic or did it cut costs like everyone else and switch to a hydrocracked dino calling itself a full synthetic? Yes or no?

Hydrocracked dino cannot be called full syn in Europe still, right?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its a simple question with a simple answer. Is Mobil 1 still fully synthetic or did it cut costs like everyone else and switch to a hydrocracked dino calling itself a full synthetic? Yes or no?

Black and White alert
wink.gif

It's both. The product, and varying by grade, is a blend of a whole host of base-stocks including PAO, POE, VISOM, AN's....etc.

Some of their product lines (like the AFE oils) have more PAO in them than others. A good indicator is pour point, if it is extremely low, it likely has a good dose of PAO in it.

As Overk1ll stated said M1 oils have a blend of base stocks. In my lond experience with M1 oils I believe thei base stock to be equal to 100% PAO(I don't think any base stock is that) or better. Besides who said Euro standards are the best anyway?
07.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Black and White alert
wink.gif

It's both. The product, and varying by grade, is a blend of a whole host of base-stocks including PAO, POE, VISOM, AN's....etc.

Some of their product lines (like the AFE oils) have more PAO in them than others. A good indicator is pour point, if it is extremely low, it likely has a good dose of PAO in it.

"Both" = "Blend". The answer is no, M1 is no longer the historical definition of a full synthetic because it has dead dinosaurs that were extracted from their pressurized coffins mixed into it. Makes it a synthetic blend in other parts of the world. But just like everything else in the USA, crafty lawyers and marketing folks found loopholes allowing them to "move the goal posts", creating a new definition of "full synthetic". Which they can exploit for financial gains. Similar to the word marriage, the definition of full synthetic has been changed.

But..the new full synthetic (blends) are better than the lab created full synthetics 20 years ago for other reasons left for another discussion.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Black and White alert
wink.gif

"Both" = "Blend". The answer is no, M1 is no longer the historical definition of a full synthetic because it has dead dinosaurs that were extracted from their pressurized coffins mixed into it. Makes it a synthetic blend in other parts of the world. But just like everything else in the USA, crafty lawyers and marketing folks found loopholes allowing them to "move the goal posts", creating a new definition of "full synthetic". Which they can exploit for financial gains. Similar to the word marriage, the definition of full synthetic has been changed.

But..the new full synthetic (blends) are better than the lab created full synthetics 20 years ago for other reasons left for another discussion.

That's not what I meant by both
wink.gif

It depends completely on the grade. You can't refer to the brand as a whole and say it is Group III or PAO, because it is in fact both, depending on the grade.

For example, the SM version of M1 0w-40 we have up here in the GWN, which is the predecessor to the "New Life" 0w-40 seen in the US and elsewhere is still a PAO-based lubricant and would be classified as fully synthetic in Germany (which is the only place an oil with less than 50% PAO or POE in it cannot be called a synthetic BTW, the "rest of the world" uses the same criteria as the USA/Canada, Germany is the exception, not the rule).

There would be a few other M1 grades, such as, IIRC, the AFE 0w-20, M1 5w-50/15w-50, M1 ESP 5w-30.... that have a significant (and in many cases, majority) dose of PAO in them.

That is what I meant by "both".

Mobil 1 is a brand, not a lubricant. The grades sold beneath the brand are the topic of scrutinization here and that's why I said "both". One could also say "it depends".
wink.gif

OK, but I still think oil companies are "moving the goal posts", continually creating new definitions of "full synthetic". Today its XYZ, tomorrow its T-Rex + PAO + ester whale shale, who knows. Honestly, I don't care. But I do agree that depending on your age, its not the full syn we once knew.

I shop based on certifications and approvals now for the most part (with the exception of the 0w-30 AZO I have for the Expedition).

You start with those and then factor in VI, pour point, flash point....etc It makes the list that you are choosing from a lot smaller
wink.gif

Please stop the tired "Syn" debate and get back on topic. The goal posts haven't moved in a while on this subject unless you consider certifications and approvals. In this case, LL01 is what matters for the OP.

Isn't it ironic that tallow based esters would be considered fully synthetic in Germany, yet Group III is a major problem?
wink.gif
Yes, I'm still sore about the whole issue and might follow a more rigorous definition. None of that changes the fact that Group III and III+ oils meet all kinds of European OEM and ACEA specifications.

Enjoy your vacation M14LIFE
Calling people morons doesn't fly around here and since you are nothing more than a fanboy with no actual thought put into any of your posts I assure you you won't be missed.
Adios cowpoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back