What makes you want to KEEP a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with SteveSRT8. Seems as if back in the 60's and 70's there was some kind of attachment to cars. Perhaps it was the "it" factor. For the last several years I have noticed that the "it" factor is gone. So now I have been replacing my vehicles every couple years while they still have some monetary value.

The above hold true except for the '65 convertible.

Just like everyone elses answer my cars are paid for. I dont have to worry about them breaking down anytime soon so no rush to replace them. Im attached to them quite a bit but when Ive had to get rid of a car Ive never been heart broken about it. It served its purpose and will fondly be remembered. Ive never wrecked a car so if that was the case Id be highly upset over losing it. While I was in the service my brother GAVE AWAY my 89 Probe GT (favorite car EVAR). Ill always look back on that car and think about what could have been. 20k short of 300k!!! And was a strong runner! Those are the times you hate life.

I echo a lot of the previous sentiments regarding money, but just as important to me is the hassle of replacing my car. I'm a field sales engineer and carry a lot of equipment. It takes me quite a while to get my car set up the way I want it. Audio, XM antenna. hardwired radar detector, setting up the trunk, extra 12V outlets (both key off and constant hot,) certain upgrades, etc. Takes me months of spare time to get things just right. I only buy used these days, so I perform a substantial amount of preventative maintenance as soon as I get the car.

Also, I invest in things like a spare set of wheels with winter tires, factory shop manuals, maintenance supplies and special tools. I'm thrifty, so it takes me a while to accumulate this stuff while waiting for good deals.

There's really nothing on the market in my price range that is so fantastic that I'm eager to go through all that again. Plus, all the time spent means I really get to know the car and all the tribal knowledge of the model.

It is very nearly paid off.

It's been reliable.

It's very functional. I think I can actually cram as much stuff in the 6 as I can in the PT

I have it tastefully modified to my liking. Any further modifications would likely be ricey or reliability comprimising.

It sticks like glue in the corners.

Nobody thinks it's a Mazda. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. But I've been asked so many times about my Acura and in one case, my Maxima.

But last and certainly not least, I just don't like any of the newest cars more than I like my Mazda6. Sure, I like the Mustang and the Camaro. But I would be giving up cargo space and 3 doors. Plus, I would be getting a whole new fresh round of car payments.(Can't even get a Challenger SE with a 6 speed manual...way to go Chrysler)

All of our vehicles were paid for the day we bought them, and I'm not foolish enough to want to go into debt for (or worse yet lease) a new vehicle. I could afford to go out and pay cash for a new one today, but the reason I can afford to do so is that I don't trade often and haven't had a car payment since the 1970's.

All of our vehicles are mechanically sound and I wouldn't hesitate to drive any of them cross country at any time.

I never had the need to bolster my ego with a vehicle-I couldn't care less about what other people think of the vehicles that I drive. I never felt the need to "mod" a vehicle, so I'm not throwing money into something that has no payback other than being "cool".

So in a nutshell, I have 2 newer cars and one 11 year old pickup that are paid for, are mechanically sound, and perform every task that I want and need them to perform. I only pay for gas, maintenance, annual license and insurance (which with a good driving record is just under $1200/year for all 3 vehicles).

That's why I like to keep my vehicles.

My TDI averages 45.6mpg.

The Sienna has been paid off for 10 years and the last 150k miles.

The Volvo is just plain a classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back