Thinking about a Wrangler 4xe

My wife and I discussed our current vehicle situation and we have about decided on selling the Clubman and the Wrangler, replacing them with a used Wrangler 4xe. First choice would be a Rubicon with a Sahara as a fallback. We initially considered a 2020 GC Trailhawk but we both agreed that we liked the JL Wrangler better.
One reason we want the PHEV is that it has enough range for me to drive to work and back almost entirely on the battery. When my term of office ends in January 2025 the plan would be to sell the X1 and hold at 3 cars for awhile. From what I've read so far the 2022 cars seem to be pretty reliable; A friend has a 2022 Sahara 4xe that she absolutely loves. The key now is to find one with a good set of options.

Last edited:
My wife and I discussed our current vehicle situation and we have about decided on selling the Clubman and the Wrangler, replacing them with a used Wrangler 4xe. First choice would be a Rubicon with a Sahara as a fallback. We initially considered a 2020 GC Trailhawk but we both agreed that we liked the JL Wrangler better.
One reason we want the PHEV is that it has enough range for me to drive to work and back almost entirely on the battery. When my term of office ends in January 2025 the plan would be to sell the X1 and hold at 3 cars for awhile. From what I've read so far the 2022 cars seem to be pretty reliable; A friend has a 2002 Sahara that she absolutely loves. The key now is to find one with a good set of options.
No wrangler 392? Hehe. Would you be up for a gladiator? Some dealerships have them 12k off right now due to a slump in sales. If I had the money I'd be at my local jeep dealership with a check for one of those neon metallic yellow ones with the rubicon trim and manual transmission

No wrangler 392? Hehe. Would you be up for a gladiator? Some dealerships have them 12k off right now due to a slump in sales. If I had the money I'd be at my local jeep dealership with a check for one of those neon metallic yellow ones with the rubicon trim and manual transmission
The 392 is over my budget cap; The Gladiator is nice but it won't fit in either garage. I do like them, though.

Didn't the newest Wranger flip over in the latest IIHS testing? That would make me an easy pass if you want to consider the safety aspect. Not sure on GC or others though. I'm a Gladiator Fan but I seen that's out for you.

Tell Me about the tax credit? I have not been following the electric car thing.
Depends by state and time frame as some things expire but here's jeep's estimations by state selected. There are also rebates aside from the credits. I advise OP to take advantage of everything he can. It's wasted money if it isn't.

I would quote Gokhan as he is very knowledgeable in California credits and rebates but it appears he hasn't returned as of December 2022. I hope he is alright and doing well.

Chevy dealer here has a used one in stock, '23 with 10k miles.
1.jpg
https://www.markwahlbergchevy.com/u...o7pOOptEErx3cZpooUTzOAotass7k2LBoCKw4QAvD_BwE

I rented a Wrangler 4xe earlier this year in Denver. Iirc, I got about 21 miles on a full charge, and then it was about 20 mpg on the highway. Having a Level-2 charger at the house will be smart - Jeep provides a Level-1 charger with the vehicle, but I ended up grifting a fast charge from the hospital parking garage across the street from the hotel during my week-long stay.

The Wrangler 4xe is a poor rental choice - I asked for a Toyota Prius, but Avis didn't have any, so they gave me the 4xe, and of course, it had no charge left on the battery, Ugh!

Used ones have no tax credit or rebate anymore and usually they cost more even if they're cheaper on paper by several thousands because of it. Slightly used ev's are typically a bad deal because of that and many get duped. The buyer takes the credits then dumps it back for a profit. The OP should take the time to price a new and used one.

You can't fit 19' in the garage? Interesting garage specs. Motorweek just did a segment on the Jeep. They really praised it as a major upgrade but that's only for the new one of course. Good luck hunting.

I love my JLU Sahara, mine's the 3.6 but people really enjoy the 4XEs. Most of the options are personal preference, unless you plan on lots of hardcore wheeling, I'd go the Sahara route. Nicer interior (leather dash if you get leather seats instead of a red dash in a Rubicon). I take my Sahara off road a decent amount and it does great. Can't beat the solid axles. The Sky One-Touch top is a neat option if you like the convenience of a mostly open top and are willing to go through a little more effort to go fully naked, and don't need to use a roof rack. I got the normal hardtop on mine and love it, very easy to remove the front panels.

Attachments

• IMG_1526.jpeg
    IMG_1526.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 12
You can't fit 19' in the garage? Interesting garage specs. Motorweek just did a segment on the Jeep. They really praised it as a major upgrade but that's only for the new one of course. Good luck hunting.
The basement garage has a large workbench and the detached garage also houses two ZTR mowers and a motorcycle.

I love my JLU Sahara, mine's the 3.6 but people really enjoy the 4XEs. Most of the options are personal preference, unless you plan on lots of hardcore wheeling, I'd go the Sahara route. Nicer interior (leather dash if you get leather seats instead of a red dash in a Rubicon). I take my Sahara off road a decent amount and it does great. Can't beat the solid axles. The Sky One-Touch top is a neat option if you like the convenience of a mostly open top and are willing to go through a little more effort to go fully naked, and don't need to use a roof rack. I got the normal hardtop on mine and love it, very easy to remove the front panels.
Not sure they are putting the red dash in these - this one does not have it

Back