What makes you want to KEEP a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My own recurring new/new to me car itch (hasn't been scratched for 4 years now) has caused me to put some thought into the delicate balance between being happy with what you are and wanting something new. Personally I've had several reasons for wanting to replace cars over the years (more power, better economy, better reliability, and sometimes just plan pining for variety) but there are also myriad reasons NOT to replace vehicles that still work. The most obvious ones that come to mind are:

- Cost savings (of course)
- Exemplary service or utility out of current vehicle (along any dimension from fuel economy to often-used hauling ability)
- Fear of the unknown/distrust of newer vehicles
- Familiarity and "camaraderie" with an established vehicle.

For me, cost savings and familiarity have been the two primary motivators in the past. "Fear of the unknown/distrust" is entering into the equation a little given the problems with direct injection and manufacturer's new propensity for fitting their new fun/efficient vehicles with direct injection engines.

What are you top reasons for NOT replacing vehicles?

-Emotional attachment/sentimental value

-Reliability, no unfamiliar/unknown problems that new cars may have lurking

-Cost savings

-Simply never getting sick of driving the same vehicle for years

Basically all the vehicles I own now I plan on keeping until they're dead. I have a feeling I'll probably have this mentality for the rest of my life.

Originally Posted By: rationull
What makes you want to KEEP a car?

Not having to make payments.
smile.gif

Other than that, those DI issues are holding me back, too. There are a few nice newer cars that I would consider (VW GTI, BMW 335i/535i, Audi S4), but I'm not ready to be the mfg's guinea pig just yet. I'll keep my 530i for another 2 years or so before I seriously start thinking about it.

Emotional attachment, here, too.

If I love the car (Another topic altogether!) I'll keep it..if I don't, I get rid of it. I've kept cars 20+ years, and others I've ditched after one...and never looked back in either case!

I used to switch cars every 18-24 months "just because." With the current state of the economy, I've settled in to a cheap commuter beater that's easy to work on, gets good mileage, and is cheap to fix. Now I'm putting that semi-annual $20-30k impulse buy budget into my 401K.

Best,

I was interested in the new BMW 128i when it first came on he market here a couple of years ago but decided to stick with my 13 year old (at the time) 328i since there was no performance advantage, the new car being actually heavier while much smaller in terms of rear seat and truck room.
While my old Bimmer has 200,000 kms on it, it still looks and runs like new, so the decision was what's the point; I'd just be paying more for less car!

1. Not having to deal with car salesman.

2. After many years of maintenance, I know how to take the car apart and put it back together.

3. Avoiding paying sales tax.

4. If I do go in for repairs, I am supporting local business, not far away, big auto.

5. Not having to worry about dents and scratches. I like to give other selfish drivers that "go ahead and hit me, I've got little to lose" look. I had been lightly run into on more than one occasion and I get out, look at the bumper and say "I can't tell which are the old scratches and which are the new."

Whenever I get the urge to by a different car, I just chant "money in the bank" til the feeling goes away.

I guess we are keeping our cars mostly to save money and they are all we really need right now. Also I can track the Neon and not worry about balling it up.

Question: What makes you want to KEEP a car?

It seems to me that it is an easier decision to keep a vehicle when it meets your needs and your expectations.

Right now, I drive a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado. It meets my needs, fills my expectations, and most importantly, is paid off.

If I went out and bought a 2011 pickup, regardless of the manufacturer, would it meet my needs and expectations any better? Possibly. But it is doubtful... especially since I would end up around $15,000 in debt because of it. That is a high price to pay for a small amount of improvement that a new model may bring.

So, I guess I would weigh the benefits (and how big or small the benefits would be) versus the cost to upgrade.

I want to get as much use out of it as i can... even though i could probably do with a more fuel efficient and safer wagon or something. it's paid off, runs good, and does the job... so i can't justify spending $20k right now...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Question: What makes you want to KEEP a car?

It seems to me that it is an easier decision to keep a vehicle when it meets your needs and your expectations.

I agree with this assessment. Cost savings have been my primary motivation so far but it's a LOT easier when your vehicle fits what you want with respect to utility.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
It's easy and cheap to work on. Plus the Buick can be rebuilt out of any auto parts store in the US.

...or any salvage yard. Just like my niece's 2000 Grand Am sedan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back