What kind of oil do you use?

Major Brand syn for the last 28 years, mostly Castrol and M1.

Recently joined the AMSOIL cult, actually just put the 3rd fill of it into the Golf R and replaced both diffs and the trans oils with AMSOIL Syn LOL.

The question is very broad based though as the determining factor is the car. What I run in my TTRS would not be what I recommend my mom run in her 1997 Saab.

Mostly Mobil 1 0W40 and 5W30 in the 08’ Pathfinder V6 and 13’ Tacoma V6. For my 22’ Frontier my 2nd free oil change is coming up, after that I’ll probably use M1 0W20, QS 0W20, and Valvoline 0W20.

TGMO when I was getting free oil changes. Since then, in the Prius, PP 5W-20 when they had good rebates, then QS 5W-20.
Before the Prius, whatever brand of 10W-40 was cheapest and also credibly met the latest API S_ spec. Occasionally 10W-30.

Major brand. Castrol and Valvoline are my affordable preferences lol. Royal Purple is my first preference but too expensive for me. I don’t like to use store brands I know they are fine but I just can’t bring myself to do that. I prefer conventional too but there isn’t much of that around anymore so I just get blends or full synthetic for some rides.

The Mini gets LL01 spec oil which is relevant to the N18 engine. Specifically, it gets Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40. When I had the 328 it got M1 0W-40 throughout its life. The Lincoln has M1 5W-30 in it. At least that's what I presume because the company service department always keeps two bottles in the trunk. The Rabbit has 15W-40 HDEO in there, I think. It's been a few years.

Last edited:
2013 Lexus ES 350 : Mobil1 EP 5w20
2005 Chevy Avalanche : Valvoline HM 10w30
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP : Mobil1 EP 5w30
2009 Harley Superglide : Valvoline Vr1 20w50 conventional
OPE : Rotella T5 15w40

Top shelf/Boutique Syn
Major Brand Syn
Major Brand Blend
Major Brand Conventional
Private/Store brand oils

I usually buy major brand Syn oil for change and then a store brand Syn for top offs.

How about you?
Typically RK or HK or whatever there brand is right now or wally world syntec.

M1, PP, Amsoil, ST.

Used M1 for 10 years, until I bought a 200k mile VW from an Amsoil dealer. External leak in head gasket. When I replaced it, engine was SPOTLESS, with 30k OCI and bypass filter.

Now I'm half Ams cult, and half major brand synthetic.

I've almost always used conventional because I'm a hoarder, and I'm a cheapskate... and it gets changed often enough anyways.

My 2014 Pathfinder specs 0w20 or 5w30 but I usually use 5w30 or 10w30 because I can get those in conventional for cheap.

Most of my current oil hoard is very old API SH 10w30 Quaker State conventional. I got a couple unopened 12-quart cases of it from a guy on FB Marketplace a few years ago and I'm slowly working my way through it. I also have about 30 quarts of newer Thrive syn blend 5w30.

I'm not loyal to any one single brand of oil, but I like Pennzoil more than others.

wife’s traverse: Mobil 1 5w-30
Dad’s 2500hd Duramax: Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40
Daughter’s Corolla: Mobil 1 HM 5w-30
My 2500HD 6.6l gas: QSFS 5w-30, but it’s getting harder to find. May be swapping to Mobil 1 once I’m out.

Back