What kind of oil do you use?

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 for my cars. One is a 2008 Honda Civic and the other is a 2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT 2.0 GDI AWD.

Last edited:
My oil use has been all over the place, but since that could be called wasteful, let me outline and answer the question.

Last last year I attempted "baselining" both vehicles. I ordered 11 5 gallon jugs of the super cheap $6.73/jug oil, the Amazon Basics 0W-40 as per a thread. Thought I had it made. Amazon somewhat predictably delivered 5 of the 11 and refunded 6. Bummer. So now there are 5. I believe I have 4 left.

So there was the main execution of "cheap" oil.

I no longer see boxes of oil at Walmart. I did for a brief time. I no longer do. They used to have 6 quart (and I believe larger) boxes, forget if they were branded Chevron or Havoline, a former Texaco brand.. absorbed into Chevron? My information is very dated to the late 90s/2000s then I no longer know what is what. So those boxes (being less per unit than the 5 gallon jugs we have come to love) was a 2nd strike-out at "cheap oil."

Oil has been going up in price, since even 6 months ago and is no longer a very good value. Those 4 jugs I have are like gold.

Which makes me come full circle.. at another attempt at baselining. The Ford presently has whatever shop oil they put in, no idea what kind it is, probably a 5W-20 as per the cap saying it takes 5W-20... maybe 5W-30. Either or. That oil will be monitored for fuel dilution as it has a separate issue, may be resolved, the issue affects the oil if not resolved. The other car has mostly the Amazon Basics 0W-40......... ..which will be running until another baselining with HPL in late May. #Fumotovalvecrew
Point being. With the price of oil going up up up.. spending the more money to get a top-shelf oil is easier to justify (even if HPL costs twice a quart of top tier Walmart sold oil, if sold in quarts. Which is why to always buy in 5 quart jugs if you are doing that) because you're spending a fair amount of money anyway. AMSOIL oil lovers have to make the same justification, AFAIK. The product costs more, but the benefits to those who use it is well worth it. Probably push the OCI interval as well.. wild guess, 10k . Before you start wondering how things are.

So, in short.. I've used "almost every" oil.. now I'm wanting to protect my investment the best way possible. I'm spending to go to the HPL Open House, I'm spending the costs associated with it, I'm completing the trifecta with getting my favorite oil, PROBABLY going with the Supercar 0W-30 for my app.. unless rhere is benefit in a No VII. Their oils are so good that the No VII conversation would be a learning experience for me. So that will be a baseline in May. Might order some before that because we are still seeing what comes out of the Ford. Oil appears to be cleaning. Maybe use EC on that first...

I used to throw a dart down the Walmarr oil aisle blindfolded and whatever it hit, id buy.

Mobil 1 0w40 in everything that can use it, or HPL.
AMSOIL Signature Series.

I am not an oil snob and usually will go for anything that is less expensive. I used to buy a lot of Mobil 1 when they had the rebates. I got a deal on lots of Castrol synthetic a few years ago but that's long gone. Lately I just buy the Kirkland synthetics because the price is reasonable and it seems to work just fine in all of my vehicles except the Corvette which gets a 10W-30. It seems I have a little lifter noise or something if I use a 0W-30 in the Corvette. I always use synthetics even in my boat and lawn mower. The Honda Monkey gets special Honda 4 stroke oil.

Quakerstate All Mileage 5w30 (Synthetic Blend) although I might switch to Quakerstate Full Synthetic.

-Peterbilt dump truck: Mystic 15w-50
-Land Cruiser: HPL euro no VII 5w30
-2, 4Runners both: M1ep 5W30
-Tractor : HPL 15w40
-Four wheelers: Pro Honda 10w40
-bass cat Mercury 150 four stroke: Mercury oil they use when I get it serviced annually

Back