What is your "under the mattress" firearm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a .22 magnum rifle ready in the bedroom closet for protecting livestock. The magazine is stored separately for legality but quickly accessible, and its been handy for a couple of coyotes that were on the way to the chicken coop. I've never found evidence of any two legged predators scoping our place out, and I do look for tracks, and we have a camera at the house, but you never know.

I bought a S&W Shield in 9mm last summer from my daughters B.F. Got the lightly used (very lightly) 4 yr old gun, 100 rounds, a soft case, and 2 unused holsters for $300. I think that was a great deal! Anyway.....
A couple weeks ago, I heard some noise in the wee hours while lying awake, and it got me thinking. I have that 9mm under the mattress, and I have taken it out and shot it a few times, but, in the dark, in a stressful situation, I'm not sure that I could find the right button to chamber a round, and get the safety off in a timely manner. So, I got the old Ruger single six in 22 mag and put it in the 9mm place. With the Ruger, all I gotta do is, pull it out of the holster, pull the hammer back and POW!!! If needed. :cool:
Glock 19 on nightstand.

12 gauge

My SIL is an ER Doc and he said he saves the lives of most with pistol wounds. He very rarely can save the life of someone with a shotgun wound.

If someone breaks in my house to try and harm me and the wife, they won't be around to file a lawsuit on me.

As a fellow Colorado resident I like the way you think.

12 gauge

My SIL is an ER Doc and he said he saves the lives of most with pistol wounds. He very rarely can save the life of someone with a shotgun wound.

If someone breaks in my house to try and harm me and the wife, they won't be around to file a lawsuit on me.

This is very accurate, and the same goes for rifle rounds to the thoracic cavity or of course CNS. The thing I like about the rifle>shotgun is that yes, my M4 5.56 does take a backseat in total trauma possible to a 12ga loaded with Flite Control, but what I gain is a TON of capacity, the ability to continue outside if needed (I live rural, and people aren't the only threats), and the ability to cut through soft body armor like it isn't there, which will easily defeat buckshot. If I am loaded up with M855A1, I'll cut through those AR500 plates the poors like to use, too.

This is very accurate, and the same goes for rifle rounds to the thoracic cavity or of course CNS. The thing I like about the rifle>shotgun is that yes, my M4 5.56 does take a backseat in total trauma possible to a 12ga loaded with Flite Control, but what I gain is a TON of capacity, the ability to continue outside if needed (I live rural, and people aren't the only threats), and the ability to cut through soft body armor like it isn't there, which will easily defeat buckshot. If I am loaded up with M855A1, I'll cut through those AR500 plates the poors like to use, too.

Semi's are limited to 5rds up here if they are centre fire (rimfire is unlimted) with the exception being pistol-calibre carbines, which are limited to 10. So a semi 12 gauge could have the same capacity as the rifle.

I prefer .308 over 5.56 generally, and up here, if you could find a semi that isn't restricted or prohib by our morons in charge, they'd have the same mag capacity.

• Sad
Reactions: Ws6
I bought a S&W Shield in 9mm last summer from my daughters B.F. Got the lightly used (very lightly) 4 yr old gun, 100 rounds, a soft case, and 2 unused holsters for $300. I think that was a great deal! Anyway.....
A couple weeks ago, I heard some noise in the wee hours while lying awake, and it got me thinking. I have that 9mm under the mattress, and I have taken it out and shot it a few times, but, in the dark, in a stressful situation, I'm not sure that I could find the right button to chamber a round, and get the safety off in a timely manner. So, I got the old Ruger single six in 22 mag and put it in the 9mm place. With the Ruger, all I gotta do is, pull it out of the holster, pull the hammer back and POW!!! If needed. :cool:

Glock. Don’t worry about needing to flip safety off. Always one in the chamber.

Semi's are limited to 5rds up here if they are centre fire (rimfire is unlimted) with the exception being pistol-calibre carbines, which are limited to 10. So a semi 12 gauge could have the same capacity as the rifle.

I prefer .308 over 5.56 generally, and up here, if you could find a semi that isn't restricted or prohib by our morons in charge, they'd have the same mag capacity.
I prefer 5.56 because we dont have anything bigger than black bear.
Also yeah, I'd go semi 12ga for your AO given that if you dont want to tell the law to stuff it.

Not a gun nut. I have a cheaper Marlin 12 gauge pump that I sort of inherited from my Dad.

If it came to that I want to be the guy with a shotgun anyway. If there’s a door between us, I want the sound of a shell racking into the chamber as a non-lethal deterrent.

Not a gun nut. I have a cheaper Marlin 12 gauge pump that I sort of inherited from my Dad.

If it came to that I want to be the guy with a shotgun anyway. If there’s a door between us, I want the sound of a shell racking into the chamber as a non-lethal deterrent.
Depends. If it were me, I'd send about 15 rounds through that door at said sound. If it were someone else, maybe they'd run off. It's a gamble. Many people have some odd mental block against shooting through walls/doors. Cover vs. concealment, though...American buildings are concealment, by and large.

Last edited:
Depends. If it were me, I'd send about 15 rounds through that door at said sound. If it were someone else, maybe they'd run off. It's a gamble. Many people have some odd mental block against shooting through walls/doors. Cover vs. concealment, though...American buildings are concealment, by and large.
I wouldn’t ever send rounds through a door. It fails the “be certain of your target” safety rule and the necessity rule of lethal force. How can you be certain of your target if you can’t see it and how can you know their intentions If you can’t determine intent or ability?

Often that just tells the bad guy where you are and where they should shoot.

Blunderbuss, we have a very thick mattress and I'm a traditionalist.

S&W 5906 in a quick safe, bit bulky but reliable and has a magazine disconnect
The 5906 was my very first gun. One of S&W’s finest. I carried it in combat. Still have it and would absolutely feel good about having one for SD.

I hope you keep yours. That level of craftsmanship and machine work no longer exists unless you look at the high end guns, like Ed Brown.

I wouldn’t ever send rounds through a door. It fails the “be certain of your target” safety rule and the necessity rule of lethal force. How can you be certain of your target if you can’t see it and how can you know their intentions If you can’t determine intent or ability?
You're there to rob the place, it's not really important, no?

You're there to rob the place, it's not really important, no?
If you can’t see the person on the other side of the door, how do you know that they’re intending to rob you?

Further, in many states, you can’t use lethal force to defend property, so, even if they were there to rob you, shooting them isn’t justified.

Finally, and this is really important, people have shot and killed what they thought was a threat through a door. In at least some of the cases, the shooter went to jail for a very long time, because the drunk teenager who walked up to the wrong house was NOT a threat and the court called the shooting murder.

You must be certain of your target, and you must be certain that lethal force is justified, before sending a round down range.

If you can’t see the person on the other side of the door, how do you know that they’re intending to rob you?

Further, in many states, you can’t use lethal force to defend property, so, even if they were there to rob you, shooting them isn’t justified.

Finally, and this is really important, people have shot and killed what they thought was a threat through a door. In at least some of the cases, the shooter went to jail for a very long time, because the drunk teenager who walked up to the wrong house was NOT a threat and the court called the shooting murder.

You must be certain of your target, and you must be certain that lethal force is justified, before sending a round down range.
I'm speaking from the position of the criminal who hears him racking that shotgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back