What is your filter preference and your back up?

It depends on the application.

For Euro vehicles: MANN, with Mahle being the backup
Other engines: Wix/Napa with Fram Ultra being the backup

For small engines I usually go for Napa, but sometimes the mounting plates (particularly on the Chinese zero turn engines) can be picky and I'll try to get OEM for those engines or I've also had to run out to Autozone and grab an STP or something with a more concave baseplate.

Wix xp
Fram ultra
Mobil 1

I go with what ever I can get at the best price

For Hondas: PH7317 (A02) run to the minder-suggested OCI (but only one OCI)
For other cars using that size: TG/XG7317
Backup: Napa Platinum (Wix XP)

For most other cars using a spin-on filter: Napa Platinum when on sale
Backup (Fram XG/Ultra)

Cartridge filters:
Mann, Mahle, Hengst, or Purflux
Backup: Napa Platinum or Fram Ultra

What is your “go to filter” when they are readily available? This isn’t a filter bashing thread I’m just curious as to what you all shoot for when buying your filters.
I typically run a Mobil1 M1-209 on my Ranger with the 3.0L and if I can’t find one at my local stops I’ll grab a Wix XP. I do like using Fram Ultras too, but the last two OCI’s I haven’t been able to find the one for my Ranger in stock locally.
Go to Oe,

alternate choice.. Mobil 1, wix “Napa” super tech maybe Bosch or ac delco

Mobil 1, and Fram ultra as a backup. Both go on sale regularly. Other than that I could have my friend special order a Wix XP through the shop.

The filter my LS powered 4x4 truck takes is the same one my 76 350 Olds with headers needs to clear the headers, so I stock 2-3 filters buying them when on sale.

I primarily use Fram Ultra or Titanium on my vehicles and in the case of my Hyundai their OEM oil filter as a backup. I would happily use Wix/Napa, Purolator Boss, Royal Purple/Amsoil/Champ XL if they were as cheap and easily obtainable as Fram's top offering in my area.

Interestingly, I found there's only one filter made that meets the oem specs for my car. A Delco UPF-64R. All other filters that would substitute for my engine don't have a high enough bypass pressure. Otherwise I'd use a Napa Gold.

Depends on vehicle:
1. VW TDI's get Mann or Mahle
2. Toyota Wix or Fram Ultra
3. Hyundai Fram Ultra
4. Domestic - Champion or Delco UPF2

Preference:
Fram Orange Can

Most often used in my fleet and shop:
Fram Jobbers and Orange Cans

Back Up:
whatever I can get a deal on / currently bought a ton of open boxes, missing boxes, returns (not used), missing plastic wrapper and dented and a little banged up STPs from Autozone. Got mainly the black Chinese made ones they are closing out. Got a lot for a buck each and got the large ones for the Powerstroke 6.7 for 2.50 each-equiv to Fram PH10890.

I chuckle at the people here won’t run a filter with a slight dent and returns it to the store. I put dented cheapies (within reason....use common sense....on my 85k a truck and up fleet of tow trucks and never had an issue. Gotta make pennies to make dollars in business—and it’s only going to get worse moving forward....

Last edited:
First, Fram Ultra. My second choice is a Fram Tough Guard. For my Pentastar, I'm running M1 filters because I got them for $4 each on clearance. Otherwise, the Frams would be #1 and #2 there, too.

Back