What is your filter preference and your back up?

Fram Ultra for my Accord, if that wasn't available (always has been) then I would use Honda OEM. For the Jetta, I use OEM only. If that wasn't available I would use Mahle or Hengst.

OEM Toyota Denso YZZD3, Fram Ultra 3600,or Mobil 1 209 For the truck.

Usually a Fram Ultra for the car but my wife is an Alexander Rossi fan (Indycar) and insists on a Napa filter. So be it.

On the Mazda I used mostly whatever was least expensive, which were usually store brands made by Purolator. Then actual Purolators. There were a couple of Frams, too.

I have used Toyota (=Denso), Purolator L16311, and Fram TG10358 cartridges on the Toyota so far. No clear preference. Of those, the Toyota one reputedly has mediocre efficiency, the Purolator had dubious construction quality (skewed geometry), and the Fram was over-priced. There's a Walmart (=Champion?) 10358 in inventory. After it, I might switch to Fram Ultra.

Napa Gold/Wix, and since there are 3 different parts chains within 5 miles of home, no backup.

Wix, Baldwin, OE in that order. Also use Donaldson in place of Wix in certain applications. Girlfriends Malibu is due and money is tight for her. Picked up 5qt of ST HiMi full synthetic 5-30 and a PF61E at Walmart for right around $20. Hopefully I can get her into a Wix later on.

Wix or Hastings mostly, but depending on what it is for or time frame needed Donaldson, Fleetguard, or Baldwin.

What is your “go to filter” when they are readily available? This isn’t a filter bashing thread I’m just curious as to what you all shoot for when buying your filters.
I typically run a Mobil1 M1-209 on my Ranger with the 3.0L and if I can’t find one at my local stops I’ll grab a Wix XP. I do like using Fram Ultras too, but the last two OCI’s I haven’t been able to find the one for my Ranger in stock locally.

OEM (Mopar in my case) and then Mobil 1 if OEM is not available, but usually doesn't happen anymore.

Just my $0.02

For my usage and service intervals (5k-8k miles), I go with a WIX standard for primary and Motorcraft as a backup, although I would not hesitate to use any other brand filter if they were on sale. All other things being equal, regular service intervals are more important than the brand name. Also, I always run double intervals with any extended performance filters I've used, or will use, on my current vehicles. Never a problem.

Purolator > Wix (or Wix made house brand) > Bosch. I guess I like Mann+Hummel.

I've tried them all over the years, just found my preferences.

I also use known brands I get good deals on (Beck Arnley, Denso, etc).

I just got a case of OEM Nissan filters for a little over a buck a piece, so my oil changes are covered for a while.

Back