Which Would "YOU" Prefer?

The impedance of a small difference in # of holes vs larger ones has to be swamped by the impedance of the filter media. Otherwise everyone would just stamp more holes.... there's plenty of room to put more holes in either of them if it had enough merit to bother.

And I forgot to add that I like big holes in my beer cans so that I do not have to wait on the beer to drain out

I'd prefer the Mobil 1. I tend to overtighten oil filters and my filter wrench slips on the OCOD end caps. Also, I use 10k mile OCI so I'd rather go with the better media I assume is in the Mobil 1. I also assume the folks that engineered the oil filters did the math and I'm not going to second guess them about the sizes of the holes.

No offense to anyone that replied, but I feel as if I asked a "NEWB" Q?. IMHO, I felt it was a legitimate Q? Even though only a few members answered me with a legitimate reply (IMO), I know now not to ask a stupid Q? anymore. Sorry, I'm just trying to learn.
One more thing. I have been here for 18 years. I have learned so much about oil and filters here, mostly. Maybe I should have paid better attention. Maybe I should have read up more about oil filters. Maybe from now on I should sit back and observe more. Honestly, I don't know anymore.
SMH! 🤐

Quick search will find quite a few hits. Here's a pretty recent thread about the same thing.

No offense to anyone that replied, but I feel as if I asked a "NEWB" Q?. IMHO, I felt it was a legitimate Q? Even though only a few members answered me with a legitimate reply (IMO), I know now not to ask a stupid Q? anymore. Sorry, I'm just trying to learn.
One more thing. I have been here for 18 years. I have learned so much about oil and filters here, mostly. Maybe I should have paid better attention. Maybe I should have read up more about oil filters. Maybe from now on I should sit back and observe more. Honestly, I don't know anymore.
SMH! 🤐
In all seriousness, It sounds like you are concerned that a lower amount of holes will result in lower oil flow. Are you seeing differences in oil pressure or other signs of oil starvation between the two filters? If so then you definitely have something to base your hypothesis.

If this is a strictly academic questions about the flow difference, I would say you could set up a flow bench for testing. However, I think you would need to cut off the bases of the filters, and rig up a test of just the bases for a sound test of only the restricting orifice/hole differences. This would eliminate the difference in flow given by the filter media, which is likely (IMHO) the dominating factor of overall oil flow through a filter, overshadowing any difference the holes might make. The only way to know is to test of course.

I hope you weren't offended that I made a "hole" pun earlier, I am a big fan of puns and sometimes it's nice to just have a laugh in an otherwise crazy world. It's a hole lot of fun. :)

Cheers!

Take gage pins to the holes to get the exact diameter then multiply by the number of holes to find the area. 👌🏻

Not sure I fully understand the question, or even the importance of the question. I’d run the M1 for extended intervals and the Fram EG for shorter intervals.

Forget that one oil filter has a base end bypass (M1-209) VS the other with a dome end bypass (FRAM-3600). Also, forget that one is a M1, the other a FRAM. Which oil filter would you prefer on your engine? The "type" with (6) oil inlet holes, or the "type" with (8) oil inlet holes? Why?
I myself would want an oil filter with the (8) inlet holes. I don't know if "MY" decision is scientific reason enough, but more holes=more flow? Am I barking up the right tree? :unsure:

View attachment 47075View attachment 47076

Blue Oval to answer your specific question, I'm not sure the number of holes really matters. It is the area of those holes, which allows oil to pass that is most important related to your question. The M1 holes look slightly larger than the Fram so the math would need to be done to confirm. The formula is Area = π × r^2. That said, given our tendency's of more is better I'm guessing people would pick to orange can...

All of that said I don't think the base plate is the limiting factor in an oil filters ability to allow oil to pass. I believe it to be the filter media...

Just my $0.02

I wouldn't use number of inlet holes as why I bought a filter.

Yep, and as previously mentioned, the inlet holes have to match the flow of the outlet so one cannot go by the number of holes.

Plus, the same company makes both filters.

Blue Oval to answer your specific question, I'm not sure the number of holes really matters. It is the area of those holes, which allows oil to pass that is most important related to your question. The M1 holes look slightly larger than the Fram so the math would need to be done to confirm. The formula is Area = π × r^2. That said, given our tendency's of more is better I'm guessing people would pick to orange can...

All of that said I don't think the base plate is the limiting factor in an oil filters ability to allow oil to pass. I believe it to be the filter media...

Just my $0.02
Easier to use .7854 which is a clockwise group on your calculator

SMH! 🤐

It’s not like you to be so sensitive. It doesn’t matter how long one has been here. Questions are always welcome. BITOG IS a part of the ether webs, though, and the ether webs have a way of getting away from you. Just keep the questions coming. The smartest people in my field are usually the ones asking the most questions.

Back