What is the opinion on castrol here on bitog?

Nothing wrong with Castrol and I've used the GTX in my 97 Civic for many years until I switched to Mobil 1 but currently has Valvoline FS, my brother and our mechanic swore by Castrol and is the only one they would use.

I'm running Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 in the Nissan right now,

This is my go-to 5W30 oil, high SAPS, high HTHS, high TBN, high ZDDP, and the oil also carries the OEM specs of MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01.

One of the things I really like about Castrol (Mobil too) is that they are very clear with their specs, none of the "suitable for" rubbish when it hasn't really earned the formal specification but they say you can use it anyway. With Castrol they are always very clear on the jug & web page of what industry approvals the oil carries.
Perhaps I should've said BP not marketed in my country. My lease stipulated that I use BP oils - they charged so much for it I stocked other brands....nothing was mentioned.

Yes, honest with the specs...I see sometimes people think the 5W-30 A3/B4 is not a good oil because Castrol say it's only SL. So what, it's A3/B4 ! We got a pump over for our bulk tank last month - Castrol OE-X 5W-30, it's SN/CF, but more importantly it's C3....so it goes in almost everything that comes in the shop these days...including my Honda.

I think that ANY name brand oil will be fine...Just get what you like or has the best price at the time of purchase and sleep well at night...No need to overthink this...IMO

I know they have discontinued / rebranded GTX Magnatec and now have GTX Full Synthetic. Does anyone know if it's just a simple rebranding or if they have a new formulation? They've dropped the marketing BS about intelligent molecules but seem to have to the same claims in other areas (6X better wear protections, etc.)

I know they have discontinued / rebranded GTX Magnatec and now have GTX Full Synthetic. Does anyone know if it's just a simple rebranding or if they have a new formulation? They've dropped the marketing BS about intelligent molecules but seem to have to the same claims in other areas (6X better wear protections, etc.)
Castrol replied to another member in a different thread. They said GTX Full Synthetic and Magnatec are very similar formulations including the intelligent molecules. As a mid-tier synthetic, it looks goods. Has dexos approval also which the Pennzoil mid-tier synthetic does not.

I used it in the Beetle my daughter ran out of oil after punching a hole in the pan. The only reason I did was due to availability of 0w-40 at the cheapest price.

I’m about to put another five quarts of it in. No complaints from me! I was impressed how well the engine looked after running without oil fo a mile or so when I tore it down. Was it the Castrol, or was it VW engineering?

Ive used probably a dozen plus oils since the 60s, never lost an engine due to any of those oils,,,no worries mate,,,,now where did I park my Harley??

I have run the Edge EP and liked it…I couldn’t tell one iota of difference and I doubt my car could either. So for me it is value (rebates are fine by me) and a fancy packaging. The new castrol rebate will peak my interest once again. I’m not too brand loyal in my decision making. I know it’s a quality product and rated for my use.

For blends, I like GTX High Mileage. It actually reduced a leak in one of my vehicles that was running Mobil 1 HM (of the same grade) prior.

I have never tried Edge, but with their new rebate I'm thinking of making the switch.

Back