What is the opinion on castrol here on bitog?

Castrol Edge EP is best of the best, IMO.

I own Ford vehicles and took a great liking to Castrol.
Ford works directly with Castrol developing oils where Motorcraft oil isn't sold.
Ford worked directly with Castrol to develope the latest European oil specs for the EcoBoost engines. Notably the tiny 1.0L EcoBoost. In Europe it has its own specific oil spec- 948.
In foreign markets Ford sells Castrol oil directly through the dealership.

I found out that Castrol Edge supercar formula is factory fill on the exotic Ford GT and I believe the Shelby 500 also.

Ford likes Castol, I like Castol

Attachments

• 03a66d49-0134-4db0-8cc7-d7304e26f072_400x.jpg
    03a66d49-0134-4db0-8cc7-d7304e26f072_400x.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 50
I use Castrol most of the time unless I find a really good deal on something else. I think people have more of a problem with the "intelligent molecules" slogan than the oil itself.

Castrol is probably best recognized here for their euro oils, Allison Transmission fluid, and Magnetec, otherwise they don't seem to do anything really Amazing, they make good products and have a lot of Marketing power behind their brand but I can't really tell what they do that's truly amazing or better than the competition.

I have used Castrol (not exclusively) for many years. Never had any issue with it. I've always viewed it as just another one of the premium oil brands, same as SOPUS, Valvoline, Mobil, etc. I don't think there's anything particularly special about Castrol products, but there's definitely nothing wrong with them either.

What do you mean by, delivering super clean engines? That's more dependent on how often you change the oil than the oil itself. Wasn't there a poster here from Europe a few years who went on about not changing his oil until 15,000 miles and how anyone that changes it more often was being wasteful?
I remember that guy, he was really obstinate about that whole thing. He was talking to anyone who changed their oil at less than the absolute max amount it could go as wasteful imbeciles and constantly turned it into an America vs. Europe (maybe UK specifically?) cultural debate. Got old pretty quick.

I am not trying to bash any brand here, but from what i have observed in the past there was somewhat of a negative view on castrol oils with not delivering super clean engines and for dropping their in the usa popular 0w40 syntetic oil.
After that it seems i dont see many threads or users with castrol which is remarkable because i assume they are in the top 5 biggest brands.
I could be wrong in this.

Is it just coincidence that i dont read about them a lot or are not many bitogers using it (anymore)?

I work at one of the largest wind turbine manufacturers and most of the fluids/greases come from castrol so it would seem they are doing something good. Also VAG group as one of the biggest car manufactures still uses them. BMW dropped them at around 2012 and went to shell which is pretty remarkable because bmw castrol was almost famous in the car world.

Now planning to rebuild my bmw diff and the oem prescribed oil is/was castrol. I am not sure yet if i will go to castrol or different brand but probably will order the oem spec castrol again.

I am curious on what your view/experience is on castrol.
Castrol is back as being the BMW oil in North America BTW.

They've always made excellent gear oils and greases according to @Doug Hillary but they've had some spotty bits with engine oils. The reputation of not keeping things clean is indeed one of those, also often referenced to BMW and the "Castrol Patina" that these engines would develop under the valve cover.

My view on them is very similar to @buster's. They were the first ones to really push Group III as synthetic and they generally try to be as cheap as they can be with base oil selection. I've run their 0w-40, 0w-20 and a few other grades but generally prefer Mobil 1 if available.

I am not trying to bash any brand here, but from what i have observed in the past there was somewhat of a negative view on castrol oils with not delivering super clean engines and for dropping their in the usa popular 0w40 syntetic oil.

Could it be you have a Dutch/European kind of perspective? Alright, let's get more into
detail:
This is an American forum and things are much different in the US compared to Europe.
Castrol has never been that dominant in NA as it has or still is in Western Europe. In NA
there are Pennzoil, Quaker State (both Shell owned), Valvoline and some more you never
or rarely see in Europe, not to mention boutique stuff like Redline, Amsoil or Royal Purple.
Basically it's just Mobil and Castrol what we have in common.
While fuel quality has been worse in the US (sulphur) for a long time, as a consequence oil
change intervals are commonly shorter. You won't see extended drain intervals above 10k
mls even for VW, Audi, BMW or Mercedes in NA. This is important because:
Many issues you might have heard of or even have experienced in the Netherlands are in
fact (over-extended) interval related, but because they don't know better people blame the
manufacturer of the oil instead and that's quite often (in Western Europe) Castrol/BP as the
market leader.

Could I have hit the nail?

After that it seems i dont see many threads or users with castrol which is remarkable because i assume they are in the top 5 biggest brands.
I could be wrong in this.

America <> Europe

Another point is pricing. PCMOs are more expensive in Europe. Less so on internet
shops, more so in hardware stores, filling stations and garages. Castrol is paricularly
expensive in Europe, often way overpriced. In Europe BP spends millions and millions
for marketing.

Is it just coincidence that i dont read about them a lot or are not many bitogers using it (anymore)?

In the US Castrol is/has been popular in particular for Euro applications, however
Castrol hasn't the market share in NA you're probably used to in the Netherlands.

I work at one of the largest wind turbine manufacturers and most of the fluids/greases come from castrol so it would seem they are doing something good.

BP/Castrol are certainly doing something good. They make excellent gear oils.

Also VAG group as one of the biggest car manufactures still uses them.

Not sure on that. Any evidence for it? As far as I know VW didn't use Castrol's
engine oils in recent years, though VW might still buy transmission oils from BP.
Ten years ago VW actually used Castrol. Via UOA both Shell and Castrol are easily
distinguishable (e.g. ~500 ppm B vs ~50-70 ppm Ti).
Don't get fooled by marketing contracts. Recommendations in owners manuals,
on '710' caps and on Volkswagen's website don't mean a thing. I strongly believe
Volkswagen purchased a huge amount of engine oil from Shell and perhaps also
some from Lukoil last couple of years. I don't think Castrol produced oil that looks
like Shell . . . .

BMW dropped them at around 2012 and went to shell which is pretty remarkable because bmw castrol was almost famous in the car world.

I would be remarkable if BMW would be willing to pay more for Castrol than they'd
have for Shell. This is still a business.

Now planning to rebuild my bmw diff and the oem prescribed oil is/was castrol. I am not sure yet if i will go to castrol or different brand but probably will order the oem spec castrol again.

BMW still sell OE BMW/Castrol gear oils (SAF-X?). I also bet the BMW MTF LT-4
I currently run in my Mini is still made by BP/Castrol. I do know for certain it came
from Castrol at start of production of the Mini R56 back in 2006.

I am curious on what your view/experience is on castrol.

A very good one when it comes to transmission oils. I used Syntrans V-FE in my
GTI for almost four years and I only went back to OE VW fluid just because I had
two liters in my stash (which I mixed with .5 l of V-FE) .

I've used it. I like its numerous certifications. I have a bunch of Edge EP 0W-20 in my stash that I'll be using for 10K OCIs and I believe it will hold up well but I think lots of oils would also hold up well. Nothing magical...no unicorn tears.

Castrol worked with the Jaguar/Land Rover engineers to develop a specially formulated oil for their supercharged V8's. It is called Castrol Edge Professional EC and is a 0W-20 weight. That is all I will use in my F Type Jag. I had a used oil analysis done on it and it showed a lower than average amount of moly and a higher than average amount of titanium.

I also use the 5W-30 Castrol Edge full synthetic in my Generac generator and Toro snowblower. It's a premium oil and was found at a very competitive price so I'm confident that it will perform well.

Castrol oil is good but there price to perfomance is not good when get mobil 1 and pennzoil for half price with identical performance with rebates. 1. Mobil 1 2. Pennzoil ultra 3. Castrol

Castrol is all I use; Or rather all I spend my money on I should say.I use all their flavors because I like to collect the changing designs over the years.

Ah yes, the magical green German Castrol 0W30! Made of unicorn tears & fairy dust, only here for a little while. Then they moved production to Belgium and it was never the same again! I actually use Magnatec (5W20), along with quite a few others (5W30 in Ford Ecoboost applications) with good results. BP actually makes Castrol, so it can’t be all bad.
My father in law would tease me saying "He thinks it has little green men that clean his engine"

From what I've read on here the biggest issue that people take with Castrol has to do with the base oil content. Many people love Mobil oils because of things like PAO content (M1 EP 0w20) and seem think of comparable Castrol products to be of lesser quality because they may not use as much PAO, etc. SOPUS doesn't seem to get criticized as much for using little or no PAO, instead using GTL, Valvoline gets flak for supposedly using poor base oils what makes up for it with strong add packs.

I like Castrol Edge EP 0w20 because it carries the MB 229.71 approval. I don't really care about the product's composition and perhaps a comparable product like M1 EP 0w20 could carry that approval but it doesn't and there's little point in speculating as to why it doesn't.

Back