What is the first album/tape/CD you ever purchased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it was JIMI HENDRIX - Are You experienced ? . Still have the record . Others that followed were DEEP PURPLE - Who Do We Think We Are ? , HEAD EAST - Get Yourself Up , URIAH HEEP - High and Mighty , ROGER DALTREY - Ride a Rock Horse , DOOBIE BROTHERS - What were Once Vices Are Now Habits , LED ZEPPELIN - Physical Graffiti , NAZARETH - Close Enough For Rock and Roll , PINK FLOYD - Wish You Were Here and QUEEN- A Night At the Opera . All were L.P.s' . As for 45s . BEE GEES - Nights On Broadway , ELTON JOHN - Island Girl , ZZ TOP - Tush and NEIL SEDAKA - Bad Blood . It was late '75 and nearing 16 when I started buying music .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by John_K
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue (around 1978).

[Linked Image]

Me too!

Not my first purchase, but I still have that vinyl. Its on my wall right now!

Here's an album I have that I bought back in 1987 when I was in high school. The Idle Race from 1968. Jeff Lynne on lead vocals. Sounds exactly like early ELO:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by atikovi
Never cared enough for any music to pay for a tape or CD or download.

What a freakin downer man!

Yeah that's sad. Music has always been a major part of my life.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
Originally Posted by atikovi
Never cared enough for any music to pay for a tape or CD or download.

What a freakin downer man!

Yeah that's sad. Music has always been a major part of my life.

HAHA, like I said, don't hate it just don't like it enough to spend money on it. Will occasionally listen to it on the radio, but it's like popcorn or peanuts to me. I don't go out and buy those, but if you put a bowl of it in front of me, I'll eat some.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
Music has always been a major part of my life.

I have found music has been a great lift recently.
Listening to and discovering John Prine is fantastic!

I guess he was a mailman?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Meet The Beatles.... probably in 1964 or-so. I was the biggest Beatles fan on this earth. Broke my heart when they officially disbanded in early 1970.

EXCELLENT album!! My favorite song from "Meet The Beatles" (taken from the UK version "With The Beatles"):

My parents were very opposed to pop music. Mum listened to talk shows, and Dad seldom turned on the radio in the car. I think Mum wanted us to develop a taste for finer things, so played LPs of weird inaccessible Olde English folk music and offbeat classical. It didn't take. So in the early years, my music was limited to TV theme songs and commercial jingles. In school, the teacher would wheel in a cart with a heavy photograph on it, and play records of songs from around the world. This left me with a poor impression of other cultures. A lot of those songs are still burned into the memory banks.

So I was unable to choose my own music until I bought a car (an old '62 Chevy II mottled with primer spots) with an under-dash 8-track player. I'm not sure which one I bought first, but some of my early 8-tracks from when I was 17 included:

- the American Graffiti sound track

- Best of the Guess Who, Volume 2

- 22 Fantastic Hits! (a K-Tel special)

- various Jim Croce albums

- The Carpenters, Yesterday and Today

= Elton John, Yellow Brick Road

Truth be told, I'd be happy listening to any of those albums now.

Originally Posted by Number_35

I loved those K-Tel and Ronco albums as a kid! We'd see them on the record rack at 7-11 and our parents would buy us one sometimes as a treat.

First album purchase:

Yessongs (live 3 album set)

[Linked Image from img.discogs.com]

My father worked for NBC TV network and I was the recipient of many free albums. But the Yessongs album was a big deal to me, and I saved for weeks to purchase that. I loved that 3 album set so much, and memorized every note.

Fast forward many years and Yes with Alan Parsons (opening) came to West Palm Beach, Florida. I'd been to a few Yes concerts, so imagine my surprise when they played the album from cover to cover!!!!!!!!! I was in heaven!!!!!

Right now, I'm really enjoying music. It's a bit of sanity in a crazy time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Saabist
The first album I can recall going out and buying myself was "Beatles '65" - bought the mono version instead of stereo to save a buck. I still have it.

Funny thing, my girlfriend's dad said that very same thing. He always bought the mono versions back then because they were a buck or two cheaper. BUT,little did people know that the mono pressings would become very valuable and desirable years later! When she and I started dating he gave me his record collection. I have all the Beatles albums in original mono pressings all the way to Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. I've been on the hunt for a mono copy of Let It Be (so rare,an India pressing may be one of the only in existence?).

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Number_35

I loved those K-Tel and Ronco albums as a kid! We'd see them on the record rack at 7-11 and our parents would buy us one sometimes as a treat.

I looked up the album on the 'net, and some of the songs I remembered were missing. A bit more detective work turned up a Canadian edition, probably to meet our Canadian-content rules. The Stampeders and Peter Foldy were Canadian. Anyway, this is the album I remember:

[Linked Image]

A1 Stories - Brother Louie

A2 Elton John - Crocodile Rock

A3 Tony Orlando & Dawn - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree

A4 Focus - Hocus Pocus

A5 The Sweet - Little Willy

A6 Bill Withers - Lean On Me

A7 Lobo - It Sure Took A Long, Long Time

A8 Vicki Lawrence - The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia

A9 Incredible Bongo Band - Bongo Rock

A10 New York City - I'm Doin' Fine Now

A11 Barry White - I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby

B1 Maureen McGovern - The Morning After

B2 Chester - Make My Life A Little Bit Brighter

B3 Les Emmerson - Cry Your Eyes Out

B4 Charlie Daniels - Uneasy Rider

B5 Albert Hammond - The Free Electric Band

B6 Foster Sylvers - Misdemeanor

B7 Five Man Electrical Band - I'm A Stranger Here

B8 Stampeders - Minstrel Gypsy

B9 Peter Foldy - Bondi Junction

B10 Jim Stafford - Swamp Witch

B11 Elton John - Rocket Man

I Still have a lot of my 45's I had this little cardboard box they fit in nicely, so it was easy to transport from apartment to apartment to my current Home.

I just grabbed them

they are:

Rain, Come Together, Let it Be, My Sweet Lord, Bangla - Desh Instant Karma, Live and let Die,
Baby Blue

Brandy, Radar Love, Where do the Childern Play,
Use Me,
Roll over Beethoven, Small Beginnings, Killer Queen,
Avenging Annie, Walk on the Wild Side,
Black Dog

I thought I had more!

- Ken

Mentioning a box for the 45's: My album collection now reside in my basement, fitting nicely into a Kendall GT oil box (originally held 12 - 1 qt cans)

I Still have a lot of my 45's I had this little cardboard box they fit in nicely, so it was easy to transport from apartment to apartment to my current Home.

I just grabbed them

they are:

Rain, Come Together, Let it Be, My Sweet Lord, Bangla - Desh Instant Karma, Live and let Die,
Baby Blue

Brandy, Radar Love, Where do the Childern Play,
Use Me,
Roll over Beethoven, Small Beginnings, Killer Queen,
Avenging Annie, Walk on the Wild Side,
Black Dog

I thought I had more!

- Ken

Nice 45s!
11.gif

I know why i though I had more ...
They have two sides !
smile.gif

So, Peace Train is on the A -side of Where do the Children play

Isn't It a Pity ( greatt tune, btw Georgie Boy) On B-side of My Sweet Lord.

Paperback Writer on the A-Side of Rain; It's based on a novel by a man named Lear ...

Not to forget Zep; Misty Mountain Hop is on the B-side of Black Dog

etc...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back